When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A 1016 dial along with some regret

rm1406

Hi all,

I sold my whoopy 1016 dial a while back (regrets, but times are tough, friendo). Recently, purchased a yuki 1016 dial thinking that I'd be okay with it, but it's really not tripping my trigger (numerals too small and too widely spaced, allowing for a lot of dead space in the dial). Maybe I just got a dud of a dial, but I'm also fairly certain this is (was?) a known issue. I knew about it before the purchase, just didn't think it would bother me quite so much. Looking at it now, I don't know what I was thinking.

1900611615_DSC_4641.jpgoriginal.jpg.ac4bda0830d8468f02cce12cf33a4167.jpg

Anyway, given that whoopy dials are darn tough to come by these days, I was looking in to other options. NDT seems eerily similar to Ruby's, but numeral spacing still seems slightly wide (though I may just be going crazy from staring at so many different dials). NDT dials also look like they have much cleaner ROPE text, with visible serifs all the way through. Were there ever 1016 dials produced without serifs? Maybe someone with more expertise can comment on this.

ndt.thumb.jpg.71d1f274f40b4933263b02573b650983.jpg

Rumor has it Ruby's 1016 dial is nearly/equivalent to an MQ 1016 dial, and from stock pictures looks a cut above the yuki in terms of dial proportions and slightly more appropriately spaced COSC text. The ROPE text seems a little rough given that the serifs are there, but difficult to see due to the print quality. The lume looks a little bit like I tried to apply it, but you'd expect a little drift in a watch this age, right? :1:

464906836_J4-1-1016(1).thumb.jpg.db72ed149fef5f7ea5064bbce4efa1a7.jpg

Last concern is the feet position of the dial. Ruby says its standard 15xx, wondering if they wouldn't be able to "refinish" a eta 28xx dial. I'd prefer not to use dial dots if I don't have to, even if it costs a touch more.

Anyone have any experience with any/all of these dials and care to comment? Any thoughts appreciated.

R

"Anyone have any experience with any/all of these dials and care to comment?"

Your comment about the numbers being too close to the outer edge of the dial made me look at my stash of 1016 dials.

Here is what I found:

All three of my nos 1016 dials (two tritium from the 1980s/early 1990s and one Luminova dial with tritium marks from when rolex bought Beyeler Dial Co and started making their own dials, some were Luminova with tritium markings.  Each one has about 1/2 the length of the marker of space between the 3-6-9 markers and the numbers.  All three are identical except for one being Luminova.  The numbers have a smooth, even surface, not rough or chalky.  All have been stored in the original dial tins in an air conditioned house.  The lume color has not changed as far as I can tell.  The dates reflect when I got them, not when they were made.

When you look at them under bright light with medium magnification they do not appear to be much better than higher grade replica dials except for the exceptional lume application.

Three replica dials that I got from 'Stilty' about 10 years ago (two unused and one mounted a few times, now on my JMB project watch), have smaller numbers and about half a marker of space between the number and marker like the genuine dials.  The numbers are a hair smaller than on the genuine dials and have a rougher finish.  The letters are Ok but not as crisp as the genuine dials.  I give them a 7 on a 10 scale, 10 being a new genuine dial.

Do not know where they came from originally.

One new dial of unknown origin that looks very good with marker/number spacing close to genuine.  It has very good letters and slightly yellowed markers.  I would give it 8 on a 10 scale in appearance when compared to a genuine dial.  It is quite a bit better than the three 'Stilty' dials.  I got it from an RWG member in Stockholm Sweden, January 2013.

A 7 out of 10 rating may be a bit high for the 'Stilty' dials but 6 just seems too low for them.

Most of the reproduction dials are good enough for me.  I would call the 'Stilty' dials 'Eta project dials' and the unknown dial from Sweden a '1570 dial'.

Anyone says your dial is not quite right, tell them you would like to compare it to their  '1016' dial.   :animal_rooster:

The reproduction dials are for projects but why would I have nos dials?

Because I thought I might find a new or like new case, but never did. 

Some Beyeler dial info:

https://rwg.cc/topic/132084-mythbusters/

• Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 8:27 PM, automatico said:

"Anyone have any experience with any/all of these dials and care to comment?"

Your comment about the numbers being too close to the outer edge of the dial made me look at my stash of 1016 dials.

Here is what I found:

All three of my nos 1016 dials (two tritium from the 1980s/early 1990s and one Luminova dial with tritium marks from when rolex bought Beyeler Dial Co and started making their own dials, some were Luminova with tritium markings.  Each one has about 1/2 the length of the marker of space between the 3-6-9 markers and the numbers.  All three are identical except for one being Luminova.  The numbers have a smooth, even surface, not rough or chalky.  All have been stored in the original dial tins in an air conditioned house.  The lume color has not changed as far as I can tell.  The dates reflect when I got them, not when they were made.

When you look at them under bright light with medium magnification they do not appear to be much better than higher grade replica dials except for the exceptional lume application.

Some Beyeler dial info:

https://rwg.cc/topic/132084-mythbusters/

Great read, Auto. Interesting comments about the 3-6-9 being roughly 1/2 the marker spacing. Glad I'm not going crazy (ha...). I feel that overall the NDT dial looks to fit the bill, though Ruby's has slightly better numeral spacing. The lume and print though, oof. Reminds me of a post (I think by JMB and/or Lhooq) talking about how Rolex isn't/wasn't exactly the paragon of consistency (especially in the old days) they're often held up to be given dial variations of the 1016, even when accounting for intended changes across the 1016's 40-ish year production lifespan. Even given this little tidbit, the Ruby dial looks sloppy (both print and lume app) especially for the asking price. Perhaps that's an old picture and things have changed?

bunch of nitpickers....😉

I've completely lost perspective at this point. My favorite example is when I show the lady friend a new latest (better!) dial and the response is "I thought you already had two of those, why do you need another one?"

When I really think about it, she's right (per usual). I'd certainly be happier with the watch had I never researched anything, no doubt there, and less money down the tubes to boot! :P

The one and only time someone complimented me on my Omega, the follow up question was “is it a Fossil”. 

:lol2:

"Hmmm, trying to decide whether, or not, to be insulted..."

Be proud!  The Camper is an icon.  :thumbs:  

My testimonial:

The JMB '1016' cured my Chronic Submariner Blues Syndrome.

No dangerous saw blade!  (rotating bezel) 

No extension!  (a scary word in itself)

No bumpers!  (CG)

No flipper locker!

It's streamlined!

It's smaller!

It's lighter!

It's faster!

It's cooler!!

Guy out fishing...engine would not start, lost his paddle.

Saw a fellow with two women in a boat close by.

Called out to them:  "Pardon me Sir, may I borrow one of your oars?"

It was a British guy, he hollered back:  "I'll 'ave you know these are my sisters!"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sogeha said:

The one and only time someone complimented me on my Omega, the follow up question was “is it a Fossil”.

Were they referring to you or the watch? 🤣

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, automatico said:

"Great write up @automatico emoji106.png"

Thanks. 

Ask a rolex AD about buying a 1016 dial now and they will call the rolex po-leece on you.

"bunch of nitpickers....😉"

No one I know has ever seen a 1016. 

They think the JMB is a TIMEX 'Camper'.   :animal_rooster:

I thought so too.....:1a: