When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Inexpensive Project - Tevise Automatic Hulk

daovto

Just for sh!TS and giggles... I had to see what £10 bought you in the sub market these days. Remembering good old days of Bagelsport and others on eBay.

So I ordered this Tevise Automatic (couldn't tell you the movement) hulk for a bit of fun.

I had a spare half hour today and opened the box and removed the tags (can you believe it comes packaged fairly decently) before taking the before picture below... and it's as shiny as a very shiny thing that has been over polished!

So with half an hour I set about putting some different finishes onto that case, bezel, insert and generally "taking the edges off". Also threw in a thick crystal to raise the height and add maybe a hint to vintage. Add some shoulder less bars and a leather NATO and I have to say for a £10 watch... a dip in my spares and half an hour of labour... It's still a £10 Sub, but one I would wear in public 🤣

Tell me about your inexpensive projects... or can you beat this one!?

BEFORE and After...27101ed807a29cf7109e76e8c72193cc.jpg3c45a228499023a15774e9395ba99fc9.jpg418434fa438e316c1be99b643c8fbe57.jpgfcca5cac5180051c9f26d25d9c3e50f9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hello Brother, I saw the title and for a moment I thought you had changed the dial. Be a shame to loose the “Perlative Cernometer” 

I have been thinking of taking a chance on one of these myself, good to know they are actually stainless. Case looks much better now. Perhaps you should worry the crown guards a bit? You know what dial I will be using😜

Hello Brother, I saw the title and for a moment I thought you had changed the dial. Be a shame to loose the “Perlative Cernometer” 
I have been thinking of taking a chance on one of these myself, good to know they are actually stainless. Case looks much better now. Perhaps you should worry the crown guards a bit? You know what dial I will be using
Well... there's definitely not a Stainless Steel case I'm afraid... and no screw down crown or screw down case back... or basically anything you might expect in a Sub... But I like a bit of base metal fatigue, and you know what else... It tells the time just fine.

It's officially certified Cernometer standard🤣

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

"...explicitly state Stainless Steel case."

I have seen this a lot on eBay when buying cheapo watches to sell or give away.  I wonder if the characters selling these 'stainless' (really pot metal) specials actually know if they are SS or PM, or even care. 

If you see 'stainless steel back' the rest of the case is usually pot metal...or worse.

You can check the metal by lightly drilling into the spring bar hole between the lugs with a small drill bit mounted in a pin vise...SS is hard, PM is soft, it's easy to tell.  Goldtone PM is usually brass and usually does not cause much skin irritation but some of the white PM concoctions can really go to work on sensitive skin.

I have seen quite a few plated pot metal watches that were blistered all over in a short time when worn in hot, humid weather.  I saved a box of them for movements, dials, hands and some are fuzzy as a wool glove from corrosion.

Looked at the same Tevise watch on eBay   (eBay item number 142603698876  $23.99 USD),   they also claim the case is SS. 

I do not see how they can sell them for £10, ($13.40 USD).  Amazing. 

They must have a machine that takes soup cans, chunks of zinc, a few brass bolts/nuts, some glass bottles, a few drops of oil, some paint, a hunk of car tire rubber...and it cranks out watches 24/7.  Unattended.  The watches fall on the floor and a guy sweeps them up once a day and puts them in boxes (made the same way).   :animal_rooster: