When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ongoing 1680 Project - Questions / need help

itreeman

Hey all,

Starting a 1680 build and I have been accumulating parts for a few months. 1680 is a grail watch for me so I am really excited about getting this done. I've owned a few massaged cartel 1680's and though they were really nice daily watches I could not get over the low crown position. I picked up a new gen spec case.

I figured I could use this thread to log the build but also if I run into issues so that I can ask questions for the masters and experts!

First issue I am having is deciding on dial and DWO. I am going to be using an ETA movement. I was originally planning to use a Yuki ETA dial and DWO I ordered on the bay. But now I'm not so sure.

Does Yuki ETA dial have the date window in the Gen spec location?

What other dial options do I have that are for ETA movt but will line up date with gen cyclop position?

Planned build parts.

1680 Gen Spec Case (purchased already)

Athaya 702 crown and tube (purchased already)

Clarks 25-127 Crystal (purchased already)

Ebay Silver DWO (purchased already)

ETA movement (purchased already)

Question parts:

Dial - was planning Yuki ETA dial but unsure of date wheel position

Hands - Yuki as well

Going to try and add some pics here... (first pic is with clark crystal already installed, perfect fit)...crown is a random rep crown not athaya)

1680a.jpg

1680c.jpg

Edited by itreeman

2 hours ago, Mr Seamaster said:

Dial... the best is to get a vietnam one. Yukis are ok for the bucks, but add a $100-$150 and get a gen spec lovely printed vietnam one. Those are the best u can go for so far.

My 2 cents

Thanks for the reply. Are there Vietnam dials that have the dial feet for ETA movement and datewheel opening in general position?

Where can I get a Vietnam dial?

Thanks!

I have never seen an ETA compatible Vietnamese dial and I don’t think it is worth the cost of a Vietnamese dial if you are wanting the ETA date window position. Most people use a DWO for correct Rolex font and position, then cut the dial feet. It is possible with skill and care to notch the ETA baseplate for the feet, which is probably a more elegant solution 

• Thanks 1

"Does Yuki ETA dial have the date window in the Gen spec location?"

Good Question.

If you compare the Yuki 1680 Eta dial and the Yuki 1680 dial for a rolex movement on the Yuki website, you will see that the date window is farther to the right on the Eta dial and closer to the marker.  This may or may not still be how they are but I remember some members having problems with them in the past.

MBK 1680 Eta dials may be another option but from what I have seen (I have two) they are nothing special but the date window is in the standard rolex 15xx location.     

"What other dial options do I have that are for ETA movt but will line up date with gen cyclop position?"

None that I know of other than MBK, and a few cartel 1680 models made for Eta movements with the rolex date window offset.  There are probably Eta 1680 dials with rolex 15xx date offset offered by others but I have no information on them.  I have a few old cartel 1680 Eta dials (ca 2005) but the lettering and markers are not too hot and about the only way I could live with one on a watch with high grade case parts is if the crystal was scratched up pretty bad.  Ha!  But true.

I have put a few of these little 1680 migraine headaches together and I ended up using a rolex spec dial with the dial feet removed, DW overlay from Australia (now on eBay), and mounted the dial to the movement spacer (mounted = glued).  Glue may not be legal but it works as long as the movement/dial combo is mounted securely inside the case.  Last time around (JMB '1016' project) I used clear Gorilla Glue with excellent results.

DWO eBay item number  123164052894

Shipping is high so order 3 or 4 and sell the others on the forum and divide the shipping cost.

"It is possible with skill and care to notch the ETA baseplate for the feet, which is probably a more elegant solution."

Good suggestion. 

A watch assembler will need some 'watchbotcher' skills to do it but it will keep the dial in original condition so it is a worthwhile option. 

I developed some 'watchbotcher' skills over the years, everyone who works on them does.  I honed them to a fart storm on quartz watches and replicas.   :hammer:      ...make that 'art form'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much for the replies.

I DO want the date in the Gen spec position (not the ETA position). I was hoping there were some nice 1680 dial options that had the ETA feet but still had correct Gen date position.

So I will have to get a dial with Gen spec and cut the feet off. I was thinking to get a Yuki dial. Can anyone refer me to a place to get a similar or better than Yuki dial in that price range or less?

Regarding the datewheel overlay, I already have a few incoming 🙂