When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any comment on the accuracy of Phong's 116520 case?

Revere

I've had the idea of making the following fantasy 116520:

- Phong case

- Phong bakelite bezel for 116520

- Gen dial

- Noob hands

- Noob cal 4130

Can anyone comment on the shape of the 116520 case from Phong? The noob case looks like the Daytona and Black Bay had an ugly baby :( 

Thanks all!

1 hour ago, username here said:

I'm sorry I can't comment on the case, bit the movement will still have frozen subdial, correct?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

No worries. No, the movement is a 1:1 (or very close) clone of the 4130 movement and has correct construction. I believe the balance is the only difference, though others may want to chime in.

It was released by Noob a short number of months ago.

Thanks for that brother, but unfortunately I have no experience with Phong's modern case Daytona as well... :( But yes the noob 4130 is a supposed exact done that's supposed to be totally gen spec. (With a 60+ hour power reserve!) 

Given a phong case however, you're better off getting gen hands to match? :) 

• Like 1

I've had the idea of making the following fantasy 116520:

- Phong case
- Phong bakelite bezel for 116520
- Gen dial
- Noob hands
- Noob cal 4130

Can anyone comment on the shape of the 116520 case from Phong? The noob case looks like the Daytona and Black Bay had an ugly baby  

Thanks all!
Are you trying to build something like this?0682c8c80c122a62aafbe778de5a6eaa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blackboxes said:

Thanks for that brother, but unfortunately I have no experience with Phong's modern case Daytona as well... :( But yes the noob 4130 is a supposed exact done that's supposed to be totally gen spec. (With a 60+ hour power reserve!) 

Given a phong case however, you're better off getting gen hands to match? :) 

I am yet to see one of these poster here. last time I check there was no stock

No worries. No, the movement is a 1:1 (or very close) clone of the 4130 movement and has correct construction. I believe the balance is the only difference, though others may want to chime in.

It was released by Noob a short number of months ago.
Phong case is not bad but the main issue with phong cases is the SEL fitment. They are all over the place. Also if you decide to use phong case, make sure you use a dial that came with non rehaut engraved cases. But looking at your specs, your build will be a fantasy so i guess it doesnt really matter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info everyone! @sacsah1 yes, I'm trying to build exactly one of those. 

The only difference is that I might send my case out to get the lug tops brushed :) 

I'm ok with the dial not matching the case as I'll be making a fantasy build, as you pointed out. 

I'll also be outfitting the case with an exhibition caseback to give it another hair of personalization. 

It sounds like the case is good with exception of the SEL fitment, is that correct? Does anyone else make an 116520 case? I've been out of the game for just a bit - does MQ or Ruby have 116520 cases?

6 minutes ago, Revere said:

Thanks for all the info everyone! @sacsah1 yes, I'm trying to build exactly one of those. 

The only difference is that I might send my case out to get the lug tops brushed :) 

I'm ok with the dial not matching the case as I'll be making a fantasy build, as you pointed out. 

I'll also be outfitting the case with an exhibition caseback to give it another hair of personalization. 

It sounds like the case is good with exception of the SEL fitment, is that correct? Does anyone else make an 116520 case? I've been out of the game for just a bit - does MQ or Ruby have 116520 cases?

If I were you, I would wait for either noob 904L case with hopefully improved SELs OR Wait till ARF start using the clone 4130 movements. Phong cases are a hit or miss and they are made out of 316L, not sure if you care about the steel color that much. Also, Phong cases aren't cheap and for that sort of money, his quality is really sub-par.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sacsah1 said:

If I were you, I would wait for either noob 904L case with hopefully improved SELs OR Wait till ARF start using the clone 4130 movements. Phong cases are a hit or miss and they are made out of 316L, not sure if you care about the steel color that much. Also, Phong cases aren't cheap and for that sort of money, his quality is really sub-par.

I do think it'll be a good while before we get another Noob refresh though, and they'd have to work on the case shape pretty significantly for it to look any good. 

If ARF goes for the clone movement and they take some thickness off the case, then it'll look good. But I'm not so sure about Noob sharing their movement with ARF; wasn't the SH3135 developed in response to the fact that the manufacturer couldn't get access to the SA3135? 

These points^ don't make you any less correct about Phong's quality being pretty hit or miss for the 1.5k that he charges. I'm going to see if I can find any cases of similar quality from another Vietnam source. If anyone has any leads I'd appreciate them, otherwise if I find anything myself I'll report back :)