When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Solstice Midnight in Alaska

Nanuq

"Stay safe"  :ph34r:

Notice I'm up on my deck... it's just crazy with wild critters this year.  We've got bears around the house, on the deck, in the garage, in my wood pile, in the road, we've got moose running around tearing up trees, 2 people just got chased off the mountain above me by brown bears, over in the next valley a guy was just killed by a brown bear, and the search party that found him was attacked and one of the searchers lost his leg.  I usually don't think twice about going climbing but this summer has me feeling pretty cautious.

So... wristies from the deck!  :tu:

Wow. I assume a search party is armed up there. That's pretty scary.

I've always been happy that I am just too far south for brown bear. On the other hand, I had a tarantula on my property, which really should not be able to survive this far north, and saw scorpion spray at my local Home Depot. I really hope that was a logistics error of some sort.

21 hours ago, Nanuq said:

"Stay safe"  :ph34r:

Notice I'm up on my deck... it's just crazy with wild critters this year.  We've got bears around the house, on the deck, in the garage, in my wood pile, in the road, we've got moose running around tearing up trees, 2 people just got chased off the mountain above me by brown bears, over in the next valley a guy was just killed by a brown bear, and the search party that found him was attacked and one of the searchers lost his leg.  I usually don't think twice about going climbing but this summer has me feeling pretty cautious.

So... wristies from the deck!  :tu:

As for what I know of gun laws in Alaska (basically none existent :clap:) should be easy enough to pack a handgun w/ enough punch to take one down.

This should do the trick: S&W model 29 w/ the magnum load not the special for your neighborhood , yes the "Dirty Harry" of Eastwood fame piece.

image.png

Hah. The only reason I'd bring that along would be to shoot myself once the mauling started. My preference is a Mossberg 12ga with 3" magnum slugs and that's still not enough. Four or five of those will slow a brown bear down, but he's still going to have the last word in the discussion.

ffc13777008291e7bf0028f2b5882299.jpg&key=f99e582229b5eef2bd60a6100c3584dd6f277676dbc5fff04c5fc3faa94b7989

This plaque we placed for Patrick really says it all. He died doing what he loves best, seems like lots of us here do.

Now if we could figure out how to make this puppy portable, we'd be at parity with the bears.

seriously.jpg

• Like 1