When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A couple good '1016' project threads...

automatico

29 minutes ago, madasboot said:

Raffles dials are not gilt dials. 
they are printed in light brown.

The 6530 “honeycomb” has an overprint, largely incorrect:

IMG_0088.thumb.jpeg.a91886cf070b9e8ba617fd7edb48cc48.jpeg

My point is it gives the same amount of effort to do it right or to do it wrong and suppliers like rffls and others have been doing it wrong for decades.

They mass produce them so price is as cheap as the quality.

that is the reason I started doing my own, time and production are quite a high toll but they are correct.

@JSebWC, if you find them expensive try to do one yourself :)

if you are happy with rffls i am not, but i am happy for you.

in the end it is an hobby but each one of us has our own standards. 
having different standards, we also have different results…

this is an example of a true gilt dial, carved explorer, first generation, self made, self lumed:

perfection has costs and that is why i do them for myself.

best,

M.

PS- I am not comparing a ferrari to a ford, i am just saying that if i cannot afford a ferrari, i prefer walking than driving a ford.

That's a beautiful dial as well!   Nice job!  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, thecloudhopper said:
19 hours ago, JSebWC said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5c00a659f1546808cb2a74d85b2f23f8.jpeg

gilt dial 6610

is it a raffles dial? 

No, this is not a raffles dial ,This  is  an actual negative relief gilt dial from a dial maker friend  in France.   I am very pleased with his work .   He is a skilled and  polite., yet humble about his talents. 

Raffles has come out with a "gilt paint"  gloss 6610 that is very impressive for $35.00  

This is the raffles dial.  It looks great for the price.  regardless of what other egotistical critics have to say

HIMS0t_md.thumb.jpeg.36d9244582ddd00b4f0f664c59864c32.jpeg

Here it is again next to my true gilt 6610  for comparison .  For someone who wants to experiment with watchmaking or is just getting into the hobby ,  the raffles parts are easily the best value for the money 

395110294_288115280796360_756261474488723899_n.jpg.fe3c9d5416ebb458445066ea6e992bf6.jpg395033664_345637801208028_1527519955795647878_n.jpg.a7cb042a8a3045b2ce7fbf550679a4ea.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, madasboot said:

Raffles dials are not gilt dials. 
they are printed in light brown.

The 6530 “honeycomb” has an overprint, largely incorrect:

IMG_0088.thumb.jpeg.a91886cf070b9e8ba617fd7edb48cc48.jpeg

My point is it gives the same amount of effort to do it right or to do it wrong and suppliers like rffls and others have been doing it wrong for decades.

that is the reason I started doing my own, time and production are quite a high toll but they are correct.

@JSebWC, if you find them expensive try to do one yourself :)

if you are happy with rffls i am not, but i am happy for you.

in the end it is an hobby but each one of us has our own standards. 
having different standards, we also have different results…

this is an example of a true gilt dial, carved explorer, first generation, self made, self lumed:

perfection has costs and that is why i do them for myself.

best,

M.

PS- I am not comparing a ferrari to a ford, i am just saying that if i cannot afford a ferrari, i prefer walking than driving a ford.

Since you felt the need to bring this back up and call me out on it for some reason,  I guess I'll  respond .   I cant tell if you have an issue with me or raffles...anyway.

Raffles dials uses a gold paint, not brown  and because they are gold paint, the paint obviously is applied to the surface instead -  it will be on top.   I've handled their products and can tell you that the durability and quality of their dials is very good , all things considered.   

Have you personally handled one ?  I would say the  dials he  that he has released in the last 2 years are on par or better quality than Yuki  and at a third of the price.   Raffles is not a dial maker , he does not make the products he sells,  he has working relationships with factories that make the products or him and other resellers online.  Again you are comparing Ford to Ferrari 

"My point is it gives the same amount of effort to do it right or to do it wrong and suppliers like rffls and others have been doing it wrong for decades.

You contradict yourself ,   you say it takes the same amount of effort to do it wrong  and then you tell us there is "a high toll"   to "do it right".    clearly wrong,  if it was just as easy  to do it "right"  then they would probably  be doing it .  obviously its easier to pad print dials .    Even some of the Vietnam dial makers pad print their dials and frankly their durability of the finish and lume is far more delicate than the raffles products. which is a huge disappointment considering they are 10 times the price of raffles 

That being said  I have not experienced your dials in hand .  I did reach out to you to buy a 6350 dial   after you told me you do it  right and  are of exceptional quality and I was presented this. 

image.jpeg.5e08902a6af89f081fb4ff9d6a06ca25.jpegimage.jpeg.a298edca7e321e7b512351eb97c367a6.jpeg

Is this done right and exceptional ?  I felt like I was being offered a defective seconds quality for a top price.   It wasn't the $500 euro that you quoted me for the dial , it was the  overall appearance specifically of the cornet that turned me off .   I am only being honest  on the overall appearance of the products you offered me.     All things considered I like the overall look of your dials but I was not satisfied with how the cornet turned out on this example and decided to pass.  I do like that your dials are "engraved" but  I just wasn't happy with the cornet. 

Nothing personal.  just sharing my democratic opinion on the forum. and giving you  valuable feedback.   

So now anytime I post on here,  you seem to thread jack and turn it into a sales pitch for your own products, while either intentionally or not running  down other peoples products and builds. 

which comes off as rude.

"@JSebWC, if you find them expensive try to do one yourself :)"   

You know what?  I have plans to do  just that this winter   Its not the cost  because you stated that earlier that  cost the same to do it wrong as it is to do it right.  , its the skills and practice and I know that I have the talents to do this.   So if that's the case, why is that you charge what you do for your dials and raffles charges $35.00 ?   or right..."volume "

This is my neg gilt dial which you criticized heavily in our chat ,    you criticized the process, you criticized the quality and the durability  without personally handling one.  The only thing you didn't do was insult his mother.. 

I am very pleased with my dial and especially the cornet  (since we are doing comparisons ) and it was a fraction of the cost of your dial for a   negative gilt dial.   

I can already here you replying and saying that its not 100% correct. ...It is only 90% correct , but its a cleaner finish and looks  great on the wrist and quite remarkable  results considering the process.  but at the end of the day  its not always about the product, or the price but the person you're dealing with .  

395059770_1481902365927899_403476657510844568_n(1).jpg.08452dd2ddd6e391362c6e9ff2601666.jpg

Enjoy your walk. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...