When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A couple good '1016' project threads...

automatico

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is the new Raffles 6610 dial that was long overdue  I had helped him develop earlier this year.

I  suggested they use the same print stamp and lume  that he used on his 6350 dials (which I also helped him develop)  and use it on a gloss dial plate.   the results are excellent for both dials.   excellent bang for buck! 

Raffles has really up'd his game this year.  

6610 vs 6350 

HIMS0t.md.jpeg

H5TAlt.jpeg

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing.

The 6350 dial is being made in 28.5mm and not as a 27.5mm as per original and it is not being done proportionally, being the difference (0.5mm) added to the edge.

This makes the dial unusable in a gen case and in a rep case the chapter is too far from the rehaut.

Regular explorer cases are also not accurate for this model.

The chapter on a gen dial is recessed and lower than the guilloched surface to create depth and a shadow line around the rehaut (mine in the attached picture so you can compare).

IMG_9553.thumb.jpeg.f0dea4cea57af2a208aa2281268c5a80.jpeg

These dials were not printed either, and what you read in a gen is bare brass.

That makes this one of the most difficult dials given the surface is not flat and legibility is a key.

35usd may sound as a friendly price but in the end what one will get is proportional to the 35 bucks.

A last thought regarding the hobby; most people try to replicate without knowing what they are replicating or handling an original.

Same applies to ageing; ageing without knowing how a piece ages and the feel of it makes the process run in a thin line separating art from butchery.

Accuracy takes time, patience, and art.

it takes the same amount of effort to do it right and do it wrong.

Do it right involve more time though.

That, and what we learn in the way, are what makes it worth.

best,

M.

• Thanks 2

Here is mine for reference if it can help somehow.

Dial surface sheen is one of the main characteristics, recessed chapter, true gilt (not printed).

For the ones not familiar with gilt dials I will post a third video.

Beautiful dials my friend , however you are comparing   a Ferrari to a Ford .   Of course there are going to be differences in quality.     especially at that price point.   

For those just getting into the hobby or  trying their hand at watch making.  or to build a watch on a budget  Raffles is the best bang for the buck , without question   I would say they are now equal to or even better than Yuki dials at a 3rd of the price.    It is a shame that they use gilt print and not true gilt. but for the price  its understandable.   compromise .

I built a budget 6350 for a  member next door using the raffles dial and a Tiger Concept case set and a raffles brevet  + crown .  The TC case set has the thicker bezel and bubbled case back like a gen 6350  the rehaut to chapter ring have closer proportions .    I also used a longer merc hours hand and lollipop seconds hand .  These features are lacking from you  example.

There is always compromise unless price is no object.     

IMG_E1376.thumb.JPG.e32b436e079b4c22a309c03138305cdc.JPGIMG_E1375.thumb.JPG.06d067b95fbf1bcfb9c53bfb646107d7.JPGIMG_1374.thumb.JPG.02fcc1b2d3bd0ddc54ca65c3d9fa2277.JPGIMG_E1373.thumb.JPG.bf57966df24d6a1d5450d52eabe1e48f.JPG

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JSebWC said:

Beautiful dials my friend , however you are comparing   a Ferrari to a Ford .   Of course there are going to be differences in quality.     especially at that price point.   

For those just getting into the hobby or  trying their hand at watch making.  or to build a watch on a budget  Raffles is the best bang for the buck , without question   I would say they are now equal to or even better than Yuki dials at a 3rd of the price.    It is a shame that they use gilt print and not true gilt. but for the price  its understandable.   compromise .

I built a budget 6350 for a  member next door using the raffles dial and a Tiger Concept case set and a raffles brevet  + crown .  The TC case set has the thicker bezel and bubbled case back like a gen 6350  the rehaut to chapter ring have closer proportions .    I also used a longer merc hours hand and lollipop seconds hand .  These features are lacking from you  example.

IMG_E1376.thumb.JPG.e32b436e079b4c22a309c03138305cdc.JPGIMG_E1375.thumb.JPG.06d067b95fbf1bcfb9c53bfb646107d7.JPGIMG_1374.thumb.JPG.02fcc1b2d3bd0ddc54ca65c3d9fa2277.JPGIMG_E1373.thumb.JPG.bf57966df24d6a1d5450d52eabe1e48f.JPG

Where could one find one of these Tiger concept cases?  

JSebWC:

Bring this back from the dead with a few recent builds. 

A '16 with a hair puller bracelet!  That takes me back.

madasboot:

The 6350 dial is being made in 28.5mm and not as a 27.5mm as per original and it is not being done proportionally, being the difference (0.5mm) added to the edge.

This makes the dial unusable in a gen case,

...and in a rep case the chapter is too far from the rehaut.

Yep. 

Besides that, the 6350 has the A296 movement.

An A260 or A296 makes my head hurt just knowing one is in the vicinity.

Some info:

A Complete Guide to the Vintage Rolex Explorer | Mark Littler Ltd

1 hour ago, thecloudhopper said:

Where could one find one of these Tiger concept cases?  

http://www.tiger-concept.com/watch-case.html

They sell complete builds and also parts.  they offer a variety of models .  I use their 1016 P case set 

50 minutes ago, automatico said:

JSebWC:

Bring this back from the dead with a few recent builds. 

A '16 with a hair puller bracelet!  That takes me back.

madasboot:

This makes the dial unusable in a gen case,

...and in a rep case the chapter is too far from the rehaut.

Yep. 

Besides that, the 6350 has the A296 movement.

An A260 or A296 makes my head hurt just knowing one is in the vicinity.

Some info:

A Complete Guide to the Vintage Rolex Explorer | Mark Littler Ltd

That was my thought as well.   27mm would fit in a 34mm case  but you need at least 28mm for a 36mm watch   Ruby dials are 28mm for their explorers   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JSebWC said:

http://www.tiger-concept.com/watch-case.html

They sell complete builds and also parts.  they offer a variety of models .  I use their 1016 P case set 

That was my thought as well.   27mm would fit in a 34mm case  but you need at least 28mm for a 36mm watch   Ruby dials are 28mm for their explorers   

How do the Tiger cases compare to JMB cases.  Are there any other options that are close to Gen spec? 

4 hours ago, JSebWC said:

I also used a longer merc hours hand and lollipop seconds hand .  These features are lacking from you  example.

Thank you J.

Here is my second of four 6530 :)

my point is not price. I like to make at once so I prefer investing time and maximizing money value.

Under a production point of view i still think it requires the same amount of effort to do it right or to do it not so right but looking like.

Perfect results may not be achieved with 35 dollah a piece but one can for 100…

and 100 is what one spends in a dinner.

I know its possible :)

IMG_9591.thumb.jpeg.f3f11ff7220e38fc7737c522e6b5a83c.jpeg

8 minutes ago, thecloudhopper said:

How do the Tiger cases compare to JMB cases.  Are there any other options that are close to Gen spec? 

Vietnamese cases (made in the North)

10 minutes ago, thecloudhopper said:

Drop me a line and I will send you the contact of the casemaker.

If you prefer 34mm I have genuine 5500 enclosure sets.

Best

Marco

9 minutes ago, JSebWC said:

You sell your 6350 dials for $100?? 

No.

I had 6 made. I could if I would produce 100.

My price was the one I told you a while ago.

I kept two dials for myself and sold the others.

same is happening with case sets.

i am selling most of my surplus and duplicated explorers.

best

M.

• 1 month later...

Raffles dials are not gilt dials. 
they are printed in light brown.

The 6530 “honeycomb” has an overprint, largely incorrect:

IMG_0088.thumb.jpeg.a91886cf070b9e8ba617fd7edb48cc48.jpeg

My point is it gives the same amount of effort to do it right or to do it wrong and suppliers like rffls and others have been doing it wrong for decades.

They mass produce them so price is as cheap as the quality.

that is the reason I started doing my own, time and production are quite a high toll but they are correct.

@JSebWC, if you find them expensive try to do one yourself :)

if you are happy with rffls i am not, but i am happy for you.

in the end it is an hobby but each one of us has our own standards. 
having different standards, we also have different results…

this is an example of a true gilt dial, carved explorer, first generation, self made, self lumed:

perfection has costs and that is why i do them for myself.

best,

M.

PS- I am not comparing a ferrari to a ford, i am just saying that if i cannot afford a ferrari, i prefer walking than driving a ford.

• Like 2