When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why are rep coronets so bad??

K12AN

Hi all

Does anyone have an idea why the coronets an all Rolex reps are so bad? Looking at gens, its clear that the 'dots' on the coronets are rounded and not flat - but all the reps do not have this 3D quality.

Considering that the coronet is the logo of Rolex, I would have thought this would have been one of the first things to get right.

I can look at any OTB replica Rolex and tell its a rep, just by looking at the coronet...which is a shame.

Surely there is a market for good quality coronets out there? I am contemplating a build of a vintage, but all the dials have the giveaway/flat coronet and buying a gen coronet is likely to be uneconomical.

Is there an aftermarket producer of high quality coronets? I think there would be a good market for this is one were produced.

No one answered yet so I'll give it a go.

My guess is the coronets are die struck and the rep dial guys just never took the time to make a 100% accurate stamping die to make them. 

Btw, the coronet on my 'first batch' ST19 Daytona has turned shiny black from originally being silvertone.  The rest of the dial is fine and the watch has never been apart.  I wonder what's up with that?

'First batch' = oversize case, glass crystal, equally spaced pushers, 20mm lug spacing, good dial.

the cornet on the V6S was great, I compared mine to my gens and its pretty close if not spot on to the eye.. they can do it they are just lazy at times and it also keeps the diehards picking at things to give them an update to sell more watches lol well that's my 2cents. They have in the past and im sure they will in the future make a good one but on the wrong bracelet lol its actually clever when you think about it.  

• Like 1

Seeing as how Rolex could never get two consecutive dials to have the same coronet, it may be harder than it looks :Jumpy:.

I've always been curious about the conversation between Rolex and its suppliers...And then we need a crown. Something with five points with dots and an oval down towards the bottom like we've used before. Anything's fine.