When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking back...

automatico

From time to time I post some watch prices from the past.  I have a mail order list from Jeff Bernard dated 11-29-97, here are a few prices.

May have posted some of the same prices before...can not remember.

Aristo NOS SS 7750 auto chronograph...$490  They are still around.  There is a new Aristo Val/Eta 7750 Automatic on eBay now for $1157 + $42 shipping (from Germany).  eBay item number:  323201567695  ($490 in 1997 is $763 now)

Brietling Navitimer quartz, titanium in 90% condition...$895  (not much of a buy imho but they were hot back then)

Omega 14k bumper auto, 85% condition...$450

Sector ADV quartz SS, 98% condition...$225  (can buy them now and then new or like new for $100 or so) 

Rolex GMT Master SS/14k slow set, 90% condition...$1900

Rolex Submariner 1680 in 90%+ condition...$1795

Hamilton Khaki 7750 SS chronograph on steel bracelet, NIB...$350.  I bought some for $250, they were blown out when Hamilton closed their outlet stores and they all had 17 jewel movements, not 25.  A guy who worked for SMH back then (now Swatch) told me the cases, bracelets, dials, hands, boxes etc were made in China.  Only the movement was swiss made and it was the lowest grade available.

Omega 'Bond' Seamaster automatic, NIB...$1050

TAG Heuer quartz 6000 SS/18K, 90% condition...$1050  (probably be lucky to get $600 for one now, except maybe on eBay) 

Omega SS auto chronograph with Eta/Val 750 on bracelet, 95% condition...$650

Omega Seamaster 120 quartz, SS with bracelet, NIB...$550

Omega Shumacher SS auto chronograph w/BP...$890  I bought a few for as low as $450 new in the 'Indy tire' box.  Tutone SS/18k dress models in regular boxes - not Shumachers - were $650 to $750. 

The movements were fairly new and quickly earned the reputation of being junk.  They were basically an Eta 2892 with a 'piggyback' Dubois-Depraz chronograph module.  Many High Brow brands use them now so they must be better than they used to be.

• Thanks 1

"Those 2 rolex sold now would have fetched a nice margin."

That's for sure.  Since the tutone 1675 had the same reference number as an all steel model you could change it to all steel if that is what you want.  

I looked the Hamilton auto chronographs up.  The last four new Hamilton 'Chronomatics' I bought were $275 each with b/p October 7, 1997.  

Flash forward...bought a 'like new' late model 25 jewel Hamilton 7750 Khaki with SEL type bracelet, machined steel clasp (not stamped), and sapphire crystal March 23, 2015 for $250 at a friend's pawn, gold/jewelry buying shop.  It had the wrong box and a short bracelet (2 links missing) but was in same as new condition. 

Have seen few good Hamilton deals since then except 992/992B RR grade pocket watches.  The PW were relatively cheap because no one knows where to get them fixed at a reasonable price...and I know a PW guy.   :prop:

Last good rolex deal was a 'like new' silver dial 14010M AK for $1000 about a year and a half ago.  It was a 25 year award watch but had been stored a while.  It has stamped hoods and clasp with cal 3130 mvt. 

Thanks to eBay, everyone jacks their prices up now and good buys are few and far between. 

My 'like new' = 95% condition and showing no wear.  Links may have been r/r.  No scuffs or scratches.

'Same as new' would be in new condition but maybe missing stickers.

I have see a lot of 'brand new' watches at ADs that would not pass a 'like new' condition standard.  I would call them 'slightly used'.

These prices are a little bit before I got into small-time watch collecting, but not much. Very unfortunate that I did not really like Rolex sport watches at the time. Never follow your heart 😊.

I posted a few months back that I put away my franken 1665 and 5514 and got out a gen 1680 to "beat on for awhile" since the frankens mean more to me. This was true. Then I saw what a plain old white 1680 goes for these days and quickly reversed my decision or at least the beat on part. A gen 1680 and a $3,000 franken are no longer more or less the same value.