When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some information on cutting stem for submariner/seadweller

horologist

Greetings

as I am slowly winding down on the practical side of this hobby, I recently completed my final project - a hulk submariner for an acquaintance to clean out what I had accumulated over the years.

i recall at some stage that there was some discussion from a few forum members regarding to cutting the stem to get a perfect fit in the eta 2836-2 submariner, but couldn't find it in the archives as to whether it was ever answered or not.

for those interested, I kept a record of each stem I cut for a cartel  aluminium bezel seadweller and the raffles hulk for dials of 29mm diameter that the stems were all approx 12.5 to 12.8 mm in totally length (for eta 2836-2)  This would give you a flush finish when screwing down the crown.  Now I cannot say that this length would be Gospel, as I am aware that various variations of other case manufacturers exist.  I usually cut them at 13mm and slowly sand the tip until the crown flushes the case.  Hope this could be of some use to any novice willing to take up one of their projects

Edited by horologist
  • Like 1