When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! Retaining ring advice needed!

hanski

Help! I’m very close to wrapping up a 1675 Cartel project watch: 

• Reshaped and polished Cartel case
  • Raffles flat case back
  • Clark’s 25-116
  • Watchman Bezel Assembly (re-polished)
  • Faded Clark’s Pepsi insert
  • Raffles all red gmt hand
  • DG3804B movement
  • Ruby Dial (relumed and new dial feet epoxied on)
  • Raffles hands (relumed)

Like I said, I’m very close to getting this done but I’ve bent two retaining rings out of shape trying to press them over my replacement crystal. I’ve tried a few different vises and plastic tubes but nothing worked yet. 

The crystal fits easily over the rehaute. It isn’t tight but it isn’t floppy. It would fall off if I turned it upside down. 

Before putting the crystal on the watch, the retaining ring will fit over the crystal, albeit it tightly. Need to use something to push it on (like a tube) but can do this by hand. 

When I get the crystal on, align the cyclops, then start pushing on the retaining ring, I get it level and and semi tight by hand. Then I set up a gig with a woodworker vise or clamp and squeeze away. 

At this point, the retaining ring slides on with great force, usually unevenly. I can squeeze it almost all the way down but it must be at this point that the retaining ring is bent out of shape. 

Seeing that it didn’t work, I disassemble and find the retaining ring has pressed a ridge/groove in one half of the crystal near the base (where it would press all the way down). 

I’m ordering another new retaining ring to try yet again. In hopes to not waste more money on this process, can someone help me with so guidance, tutorial, or otherwise suggest how to do this better. 

For what it’s worth, I did it just fine with my 1680. I’m struggling to figure out the differences and what I’m messing up. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

tgg9fDr.jpg