When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Submariner cases 16610 & 16610LV no longer available?

horologist

Is it true that the traditional 16610 style cases have been discontinued in production in the replica world and also as sterile cases?

Just as I was winding down, a family member asked me if I could build him either an economy replica 16610 or a 14060 but neither raffles nor Yuki keep them.  I noticed that even the eta 16610lv case set on the Yuki site states "ceased production".   

Has as anyone  been successful in obtaining them anywhere and if so, could you PM me if  posting the source is against the forum rules.

Thos new chunky ceramic bezel styles just don't do it for him!,  I can't say I am all that impressed with them either!!!

• Like 2

I don’t think they have totally disappeared. Demand for cases might have slackened off to the point that they are no longer stocked I suppose.

What is your definition of an economy build? A Yuki case is around the same price as a complete JF 16610. Raffles cases were never that accurate and a 16610 from DHGate might suit as a starting point for a build if total accuracy isn’t a requirement. Should run to about $60 for a 23j. 

Here is what Puretime currently lists, some dealers might be helpful in finding just a case, if you know what to ask for first.

https://puretime.io/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=2&q=16610

Oh, there is also the Startime case

23 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

What is your definition of an economy build? A Yuki case is around the same price as a complete JF 16610. Raffles cases were never that accurate 

As it is for an older teenager (brother in laws son ) a 1:1 build would be way over the top.  Some people have never seen a genuine Rolex and believe me he hasn't either!!  So really anything would have sufficed!  BUT he has seen all the builds I made from Yuki case sets and even from raffles (even though not very accurate as you say) with the aluminium style bezel. Those chunky new age ones just won't do the trick!

When I was recovering from my disability, I spent a lot of time re shaping some of the silix cases which I was quite satisfied with even though never like those from JMB nor rollojack or those of other true artisans here!

I jsaw one from alpha watch in Lithuania  which seemed was pretty close to what he wants but has a see through back, but after corresponding with the dealer, he has confirmed that if is for an eta 2824 so none of my left over 2836 with the DWO will work! So it has put me back to the drawing board 

42 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

Oh, there is also the Startime case

For a teenager? I never bought one for myself! LOL!!

16 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

You could try a WTB, you never know what guys have stuffed in a parts drawer

I was thinking of that being one way to go as a last resort!  I guess that they might want to hang onto them if they  are getting in short supply!  Thanks also for he pure time link!,

Honestly, for a teenager a nice Seiko turtle diver may be the better choice. Even with an oyster bracelet. They’re bullet proof and look great plus can take them anywhere. The crystal can handle a lot of abuse and scratches and look great. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree on the Seiko especially for longevity and the fact that teenagers tend to get watches damaged a lot quicker than us older guys do 😂 

Not sure about the low supply on cases available, think I've still got one in my parts tray somewhere, ST too I'm pretty sure, if you want me to have a look properly pm me.

On 10 August 2018 at 11:35 PM, Ephry73 said:

Honestly, for a teenager a nice Seiko turtle diver may be the better choice. Even with an oyster bracelet. They’re bullet proof and look great plus can take them anywhere. The crystal can handle a lot of abuse and scratches and look great. Just saying.

I totally agree!  I would even get him a quartz divers with a sterile dial and case.  

This is is what annoys me!  I had 3 remaining models which I put together over the years and were hard to get rid of, while I was winding down from this hobby.   A month after I got rid of the last one, my sister asked me that her son, my nephew wanted one.  

Long story short which I won't go into, but he wants the one with the thinner aluminium bezel case!  He is 17 and I guess wants to either impress his girlfriend, school buddies or simply wants a watch that looks the part.  The modern youth of the modern era! I don't question the motive, but you know the old saying you can't choose your relatives nor your neighbors!

I always try Point out to people the differences between wants and needs and what reality is. I’m the [censored] of the family so that makes it easier. At 17 walking about with a seemingly expensive watch is asking for the kid to get jacked, particularly if it’s just for the bling aspect. A nice G-shock will always do better as well as be more practical. Heck I have a few of them including my first g-shock that is going on 30+ years now and have only had to change the battery twice. The plastic disintegrated a long time ago but I keep it just because. First g-shock I ever had and it was also my watch for first year of military school. Lots of fond memories.

Just saying.

42 minutes ago, Ephry73 said:

At 17 walking about with a seemingly expensive watch is asking for the kid to get jacked, 

His other class mate drives the latest BMW to school and still sees a shrink for not having it all!  

It's the modern generation of have it all. The media, peer pressure,you name it. The soap operas with the mansions and swimming pools!

i also see it with young married people as well.  I call them plastic people!  They have to have it all yesterday, otherwise it is a trip to the shrink for the happy pills! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...