When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

15400 from JF v3

Hello friends i am asking for your help

I have just ordered a 15400 JF v3 and just receved the QC pic.

I have no experience so I do not now what to look at.

But first, what is the main differents between a v2 and v3 from JF.

What I first was seeing on the QC v3 pic was a lovely and nice watch, then I notice a couple of "minor" things such as:

1. The two markers at 12 oclock on the dial were not paralell therfore a little gap between them was easy to see, not nice!

2. AP logo on the crown was a little off center.

3. Some of the screws on top of the watch were not smooth with the top. Some were down more than others, could be the angel and lightening of the photo...really not sure.

How to tell that the watch is from JF and a version v3? And not from another factory etc.?

What do you think guys, should I accept these minor flaws? Is it normal for v3, i guess my biggest issue is with my comment 1 above.

Thanks again for your view and ideas

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

The flaws you stated are minor and common and easily fixed. The case thickness is the biggest visual tell in my opinion and this needs to be fixed to make the watch look presentable on the wrist. Surprised you didn’t mention it. ;)
As for whether it’s a v3, a pic will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The flaws you stated are minor and common and easily fixed. The case thickness is the biggest visual tell in my opinion and this needs to be fixed to make the watch look presentable on the wrist. Surprised you didn’t mention it. default_wink.gif
As for whether it’s a v3, a pic will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Legend,
I really forgot to check the thickness
V3 is 10.5mm
V2 is approx 12.0mm?
A pic. Of this messurement should be included in the QC,

However I recived more QC pic. And the AP logo on the crown looks fine.
The rotor is very niced engraved.
The only flaw is at 12 oclock with a little gap at the bottom of the markers.

Thanks again for mention the thickness, will check that next time

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

There are things which cannot be seen (heard) in the QC pics. 

Besides the crooked markers at 12, 3, and 9, which are very common, the miyota movement sounds cheap and noisy, and the rotor bearings of about 90% of the v3 15400 need to be silenced and oiled. Visually, the thickness is also a flaw which can be resolved. The watch can be thinned to 9.9mm (vs gen thickness of 9.8mm).

Also, I don't like the way the date changes. The date starts changing around 2300 - 2330 each day, and completes the change at midnight. The gen has an instant date change at midnight, much like the Rolex caliber 3135 or ETA2836. But that is me nitpicking. Most people can live with this flaw, but I just cannot. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 5:09 AM, Legend said:

There are things which cannot be seen (heard) in the QC pics. 

Besides the crooked markers at 12, 3, and 9, which are very common, the miyota movement sounds cheap and noisy, and the rotor bearings of about 90% of the v3 15400 need to be silenced and oiled. Visually, the thickness is also a flaw which can be resolved. The watch can be thinned to 9.9mm (vs gen thickness of 9.8mm).

Also, I don't like the way the date changes. The date starts changing around 2300 - 2330 each day, and completes the change at midnight. The gen has an instant date change at midnight, much like the Rolex caliber 3135 or ETA2836. But that is me nitpicking. Most people can live with this flaw, but I just cannot. 

Would you venture it possible to swap in a ETA movement, with the deco-plate on top to get that nice swiss reliability, and maintain the look? I wish they were closed-back... the movement will never be up to snuff, but I agree the slow prolonged date change is terrible. 

Legend could you really work one of these over real nicely? 

35 minutes ago, 508-Fanatic said:

Would you venture it possible to swap in a ETA movement, with the deco-plate on top to get that nice swiss reliability, and maintain the look? I wish they were closed-back... the movement will never be up to snuff, but I agree the slow prolonged date change is terrible. 

Legend could you really work one of these over real nicely? 

Yes I have done, for a member here, the ETA movement swap into the miyota case/dial, with all the accompanying mods to hands etc. The caseback of that particular piece was smoked black. The miyota deco plate cannot be re-used after the conversion unfortunately. The ETA2824 also features the non-instant date change though. 

These days, the most requested mods for the V3 re: caseback thinning, rotor assembly silencing and the mikey dw swap. 

Check out this thread of a piece modded for member reppin

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/audemars-piguet-ap/7038740-jf-v3-15400-modded-by-the-legend-with-custom-datewheel

Have a look over the forum buddy and you will see@legend modded AP’s all over. He is undoubtedly your man for the job to which I can vouch.

I have had 2 works of art from him myself, one modded ceramic diver of which will probably never get sold and a rep of the grey themes to which I have the gen so wanted to compare the rep after his work and his work is amazing, truly. If it wasn’t for the thickness which wasn’t really noticeable on the wrist it would of been extremely hard to tell.

If your going to wear an AP rep please have it modded

Sent from me

• Like 2