When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jensen has problems

Sogeha

"Rolex has a uniquely stringent view on what qualifies as an illegitimate Rolex.  In their view, any modification to a watch making it appear other than it shipped from Rolex’s factory renders the whole watch counterfeitThis is their view, whether the replaced part or parts are aftermarket, or original Rolex parts.  Change the bezel on DateJust from fluted gold to a Rolex stainless steel bezel?   The whole watch is considered counterfeit, unless you pay a Rolex service center to change it back."

According to that, a huge percentage of formerly 'genuine' rlx watches are 'Officially Counterfeit' by decree. 

So...one burning question comes to mind.

Image result for burning question

Why not buy a 'Real Counterfeit' to begin with?   :prop:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, automatico said:

Why not buy a 'Real Counterfeit' to begin with?   :prop:

That brother is what I have always said about vintage Rolex. At least one can wear them instead of keeping them in a bank vault,  and it seems while 16610LV rocket in price, TC Subs are keeping pace

Just now, mzinski said:

Are TC subs "Tiger Concepts"?

These must be an older, high-end aftermarket case. I'll do some searching but I'll also ask the question, why do people desire TC subs so much? 

Confusingly, no.

TC are not Tiger Concepts. 

TC was a watch sold by a person whose initials were TC, and he had the unique position of saying that people who got a watch from him weren't customers, they were like-minded watch fans, that he was really only pursuing figuring out how to build the very best watch that he could, which is why people liked them and they continue to appreciate in value. They're harder to find now that he's stopped doing it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mzinski said:

Are TC subs "Tiger Concepts"?

These must be an older, high-end aftermarket case. I'll do some searching but I'll also ask the question, why do people desire TC subs so much? 

Apologies, like any group we fling shorthand, acronyms and weird numbers around with abandon. So glad you asked instead of just being mystified.

Hey @LifeTrekker throw a picture of your new TC up for @mzinski will ya?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

Apologies, like any group we fling shorthand, acronyms and weird numbers around with abandon. So glad you asked instead of just being mystified.

Hey @LifeTrekker throw a picture of your new TC up for @mzinski will ya?

Thanks for the clarification! As this discussion was happening I stumbled upon a Tiger Concept sub case for sale on RWI for $60 and thought, whoa, something isn't adding up here. They were also using the acronym TC Sub...

Anyways, would love to see a TC Sub. 

Hey [mention=74139]LifeTrekker[/mention] throw a picture of your new TC up for [mention=82589]mzinski[/mention] will ya?
Will do, but I gotta take some good pics of her first. I'll do that tomorrow and post the pics here after that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here's a TC head... I didn't include a straight-on shot since it has gen dial and bezel assembly.  Also the bracelet is not TC.

4e7f51be9279ccf8a3faf36c44b4f92d.thumb.jpg.e4750e9215417cb11d2d4da93d1ed974.jpg
e8283b0d539a9ce74b28e3efdebeb710.thumb.jpg.6c8cc8bdc3914d408d612d9dcc84723c.jpg
45039b2c59839f14f0f738444a80a6ee.thumb.jpg.c7e35b8c98d10d499e8f5267170487d5.jpg
Looks awesome! Especially with the drilled lugs. Personally, the early 16610s with the drilled lugs and folded end links are my favorites.

Hey [mention=74139]LifeTrekker[/mention] throw a picture of your new TC up for [mention=82589]mzinski[/mention] will ya?
I know we've already seen pics of a TC16610LN, but here are a few pics of my recently acquired TC16610LV V6 for comparison.

They really are quite nice watches. Not perfect, but still very nice.a554a889ebd4906908c549e3070b64a9.jpg1443a1e38dcdb8a380be98392c26fdef.jpgca8727f62288a6b8b2a6fc1213a55fe3.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Greed...

That is what happens when you sell modified cheap Vietnam parts, in the US, using one of the most hardcore privately owned watch brands in the world.

I know a lot of you guys loved him. But all he did was reshape.

When I asked him for a quote on a 6263 18K YG case it was >10000 EUR.

When I asked why the big difference compared to the SS one, he said work was more complicated.

When I said that work should be simpler since YG is easier to mold and work with than SS, he said "take it or leave it".

Remove about 1500 EUR for the YG.

Remove about 15000 EUR for a regular SS case.

>7000 EUR was his profit compared to a SS one.

That. Is. Bull. Shiet.

e7fc3efb18f72b0109ceb471a878a411.jpg.e62f2e6f0f9bcef496a85852ec3e161d.jpg

• Like 2

"That is what happens when you sell modified cheap Vietnam parts, in the US, using one of the most hardcore privately owned watch brands in the world.

I know a lot of you guys loved him.  But all he did was reshape."

My guess is you hit the nail on the head.

I have said from day one that the difference between a $50 replica case and a $1500 replica case is a few (maybe more than just a few) hours of reshaping/detaining.  As long as the basics are correct (or can be made correct)...lug hole location, case neck, case back configuration, thread size etc, an expert in detailing with the proper tools can make them 'almost real'.

"When I asked him for a quote on a 6263 18K YG case it was >10000 EUR."

"When I asked why the big difference compared to the SS one, he said work was more complicated."

Yeah, that's like the sucker game where platinum watches are 50% to 100% more that 18k gold.  You ask why and they tell you it is because platinum is 'hard to work with'.  Using the same twisted logic, stainless steel would be 'the new platinum'.

8-20-18...plat spot  $793.90/troz

gold...$1186.80\troz

Plat is a little bit heavier but not that much.

Otoh 18k gold is diluted 25% but I never heard that excuse.

6 minutes ago, automatico said:

My guess is you hit the nail on the head.

I have said from day one that the difference between a $50 replica case and a $1500 replica case is a few (maybe more than just a few) hours of reshaping/detaining.  As long as the basics are correct (or can be made correct)...lug hole location, case neck, case back configuration, thread size etc, an expert in detailing with the proper tools can make them 'almost real'.

I agree, Phong is substantially overpriced. I think Jensen is more reasonable. 

I've been pricing out building a Tudor 76100. His 76100 replacement case sells for $650 and includes case (with decent stampings), case back (with proper engravings), tube, crown, bezel assembly, crystal, and insert - supposedly all to gen spec but I haven't handled one to confirm. 

On the flip side, it would cost me about $516 to build that myself but have incorrect case stamping. This would be Cartel 5513 case ($150 for a whole, cheap watch, I haven't been able to find case alone), Yuki case back ($185), WSO bezel assembly and insert ($129), Athaya Crown and Tube ($35), and Clark's tropic 19 ($17). I suppose I could discount something for having leftover Cartel parts and a cheap A2813 movement but that isn't worth much. 

So basically I'm paying him $150 to rework and stamp the case and provide (from what I hear) higher quality parts over what I just listed. 

4 hours ago, mzinski said:

I agree, Phong is substantially overpriced. I think Jensen is more reasonable. 

I've been pricing out building a Tudor 76100. His 76100 replacement case sells for $650 and includes case (with decent stampings), case back (with proper engravings), tube, crown, bezel assembly, crystal, and insert - supposedly all to gen spec but I haven't handled one to confirm. 

On the flip side, it would cost me about $516 to build that myself but have incorrect case stamping. This would be Cartel 5513 case ($150 for a whole, cheap watch, I haven't been able to find case alone), Yuki case back ($185), WSO bezel assembly and insert ($129), Athaya Crown and Tube ($35), and Clark's tropic 19 ($17). I suppose I could discount something for having leftover Cartel parts and a cheap A2813 movement but that isn't worth much. 

So basically I'm paying him $150 to rework and stamp the case and provide (from what I hear) higher quality parts over what I just listed. 

Actually. JKF Snowflake case has a caseback which I 100% good. All you need is case reshape, lug engraving, case reshape, Vietnam bezel assembly and Athaya crown+tube