When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

General advice needed

Guest messinapete

Guest messinapete

Hello All,

I’m new therefore a pain because I have so many questions that are obvious 

to many members, But I must start somewhere.

There are many abbreviations attached to watches of which I don’t know,

is there a place I can find these.

I’ve recently purchased a Rolex Daytona Cosmograph (11650 I think) latest edition it cost me $658 from ‘Dtime’ it’s says it waterproofed to 50 mtrs, Once received I wrote to ‘Dtime’ and asked is it W/P for general swimming (Certainly no deeper than 30 mtrs) They have assured me Yes definitely too 30 mtrs but not beyond, Should I have it checked out anyway despite Dtime’s assurance?

With these clones/super Clones is Dtime a solid reliable company? Am I overpaying?

I only want the best cost to an extent is irrelevant, Yet I see on some sites same watch $150-400, is it a case of “What you pay for you get” lower grade  steel, cheaper movement, non AR Etc.

i have three watches I want to buy (1 per month) A Breitling Chronomat, A Cartier Panthere (Midsize) and AP Royal Oak when the model I want is in production (Its a pity I can’t attach pics to this message)

So in essence I need assistance with a guide to abbreviations and the groups input 

about ‘Dtime’ I’m familiar with what factory does the best of certain brands.

I  could probably do with a ‘ Understanding Clones,copies, Do’s and dont’s 101’

So I don’t have to post what might seem Obvious questions, Is there such a thing?

I’m based in The UK.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Regards.

Pics 1 and 2 is what I still want.

pics 3,4,5 Is What I have Rolex Daytona Cosmograph 

DD9292A6-F5F8-4F1F-89C8-E09D05FF6E23.png

9EADDBD1-E7FA-417E-8804-85EECE9FAF59.jpeg

A3977AC7-90B7-44AE-BFC7-5090A0CA91AC.jpeg

1C7E590F-11EA-4C63-81C3-4D5FA9A7FAFA.jpeg

B8C64834-B9A1-4634-B44A-002787C86C31.jpeg

Firstly Dtime aren’t a Trusted Dealer here or on any of the other rep fora. If you are happy with them, all is fine.

It seems to me the prices you are mentioning are just a little high. Any dealer can get any Watch, by and large if a none TD claims to have a Watch the TDs can’t get, it is some sort of scam. There are many none TDs who do sell watches, some reliably. 

There are several expectations we place on TDs, but the big advantage is that for any member buying from a TD and encountering problems, we will step in to work on a resolution. We do so in an objective and fact based way and do not favour the dealer nor the buyer. Generally we can come to an agreement that satisfies all parties. No in case you are wondering the forum nor the Mods get any kind of kick back, we prefer our independence 

As to terms and shorthand, you will find you quickly gain understanding. In the meantime you are welcome to PM me and I will do my best to help you.

Guest messinapete
Firstly Dtime aren’t a Trusted Dealer here or on any of the other rep fora. If you are happy with them, all is fine.
It seems to me the prices you are mentioning are just a little high. Any dealer can get any Watch, by and large if a none TD claims to have a Watch the TDs can’t get, it is some sort of scam. There are many none TDs who do sell watches, some reliably. 
There are several expectations we place on TDs, but the big advantage is that for any member buying from a TD and encountering problems, we will step in to work on a resolution. We do so in an objective and fact based way and do not favour the dealer nor the buyer. Generally we can come to an agreement that satisfies all parties. No in case you are wondering the forum nor the Mods get any kind of kick back, we prefer our independence 

As to terms and shorthand, you will find you quickly gain understanding. In the meantime you are welcome to PM me and I will do my best to help you.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest messinapete

Thank you for your reply.
Can you explain why ‘Dtime’ is not Trusted? Is it because of price only?
Or Is this because you’d prefer one to purchase via a TD on this site?

It always concerns me IF a third party has to step in to resolve a matter.

Example-How would I know IF I purchased a watch from a TD that it is NOT what I ordered, It could be that the TD’s watch I wanted said it had x movement but in fact had an inferior movement, As a beginner in this I expect 100% honesty, As I do in everything.

Again thank you for assisting me.
Regards

You are buying counterfeit goods, expecting 100% honestly from any dealers is a little optimistic. You can look at SwissTime and see all the lovely watches they have, all with identical clone movements made in Switzerland. Sadly, their pictures are all of genuine watches, reps are made in China and the Swiss would never tolerate counterfeit goods being produced in their country, so no not quite 100% honest there. If any dealer is not a Trusted Dealer on this or any other site it is because either they have not applied or have applied and failed to agree to expectations, failed to pass a probationary period or been banned. 

We advise people to buy from trusted dealers on this or another rep forum they belong to because these dealers are as I explained, held to certain expectations and because we can help resolve issues. Many people new to this hobby tell tales of finding websites on the internet and being scammed, not getting a watch, getting a watch that doesn’t in any way resembles the images they were shown or getting a faulty watch and no way to resolve matters. You have already bought from Dtime, so they are sending you watches that you are happy with. I have no personal preference in what’s you do or where you spend your money. I do not like to see guys put off this great hobby by bad early experiences. If you really feel you prefer flying solo and not having this or any other forum on your six, that’s is your decision and your right. Mods here or elsewhere can not help with any issues you encounter. The vast majority of purchases by members from TDs go without any issues, very seldom do we have to even be aware of a sale. 

I’m also pretty sure you could have got the watch you already bought cheaper from our dealers. Again, that makes no personal difference to me

Agree with my friend mentioned,...if you are happy with Dtime, that's ok. But on the forum we recommend TD's for a reason. In the Repscene, also TD's will make promises which are sometimes very hard to keep, just take a look at the sales reviews.

But if a deal with a TD is going the wrong way, mods can talk to the TD and in most cases it will be solved, just follow the correct procedure.

Enjoy it here and just do some searching and then ask your questions, there is help around here if needed.

Guest messinapete
You are buying counterfeit goods, expecting 100% honestly from any dealers is a little optimistic. You can look at SwissTime and see all the lovely watches they have, all with identical clone movements made in Switzerland. Sadly, their pictures are all of genuine watches, reps are made in China and the Swiss would never tolerate counterfeit goods being produced in their country, so no not quite 100% honest there. If any dealer is not a Trusted Dealer on this or any other site it is because either they have not applied or have applied and failed to agree to expectations, failed to pass a probationary period or been banned. 

We advise people to buy from trusted dealers on this or another rep forum they belong to because these dealers are as I explained, held to certain expectations and because we can help resolve issues. Many people new to this hobby tell tales of finding websites on the internet and being scammed, not getting a watch, getting a watch that doesn’t in any way resembles the images they were shown or getting a faulty watch and no way to resolve matters. You have already bought from Dtime, so they are sending you watches that you are happy with. I have no personal preference in what’s you do or where you spend your money. I do not like to see guys put off this great hobby by bad early experiences. If you really feel you prefer flying solo and not having this or any other forum on your six, that’s is your decision and your right. Mods here or elsewhere can not help with any issues you encounter. The vast majority of purchases by members from TDs go without any issues, very seldom do we have to even be aware of a sale. 

I’m also pretty sure you could have got the watch you already bought cheaper from our dealers. Again, that makes no personal difference to me

Thank you both, Always a bit bewildering at first.

Thank you for your time in replying,
I hear you loud n clear, makes sense to me now.
Thanks Again.

On 8/18/2018 at 12:44 PM, messinapete said:

Hello All,

I’m new therefore a pain because I have so many questions that are obvious 

to many members, But I must start somewhere.

There are many abbreviations attached to watches of which I don’t know,

is there a place I can find these.

I’ve recently purchased a Rolex Daytona Cosmograph (11650 I think) latest edition it cost me $658 from ‘Dtime’ it’s says it waterproofed to 50 mtrs, Once received I wrote to ‘Dtime’ and asked is it W/P for general swimming (Certainly no deeper than 30 mtrs) They have assured me Yes definitely too 30 mtrs but not beyond, Should I have it checked out anyway despite Dtime’s assurance?

With these clones/super Clones is Dtime a solid reliable company? Am I overpaying?

I only want the best cost to an extent is irrelevant, Yet I see on some sites same watch $150-400, is it a case of “What you pay for you get” lower grade  steel, cheaper movement, non AR Etc.

i have three watches I want to buy (1 per month) A Breitling Chronomat, A Cartier Panthere (Midsize) and AP Royal Oak when the model I want is in production (Its a pity I can’t attach pics to this message)

So in essence I need assistance with a guide to abbreviations and the groups input 

about ‘Dtime’ I’m familiar with what factory does the best of certain brands.

I  could probably do with a ‘ Understanding Clones,copies, Do’s and dont’s 101’

So I don’t have to post what might seem Obvious questions, Is there such a thing?

I’m based in The UK.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Regards.

Pics 1 and 2 is what I still want.

pics 3,4,5 Is What I have Rolex Daytona Cosmograph 

Hello and welcome, first and foremost.

1. I will advise you to stick to known dealers like intime03.co, puretime.io etc. The stock are all from the same factory, but with the known/trusted dealers, you get more assurance that the actual watch purchased is the one advertised. 

2. Stated water resistance: Take it with a pinch of salt, this is a hit or miss. Do not take your watch swimming unless you have pressure tested it first and done and necessary basic waterproofing.

3. You can start your learning about the models you want, and also the abbreviations used in the hobby, by perusing one of the known dealer sites I listed, and then asking what you wish to ask. I see that the new clone movement daytonas are listed for $628 before shipping. https://www.intime03.co/rollie/5124-pre-order-daytona-116515-rg-case-black-ceramic-bezel-noob-1-1-best-edition-brown-dial-on-rubber-strap-sa4130.html. I understand you bought a different model. You probably paid around the same price, or slightly more. Nothing horrifying though. :)

4. Come back again and ask the questions you wish to ask.

Guest messinapete
Hello and welcome, first and foremost.

1. I will advise you to stick to known dealers like intime03.co, puretime.io etc. The stock are all from the same factory, but with the known/trusted dealers, you get more assurance that the actual watch purchased is the one advertised. 

2. Stated water resistance: Take it with a pinch of salt, this is a hit or miss. Do not take your watch swimming unless you have pressure tested it first and done and necessary basic waterproofing.

3. You can start your learning about the models you want, and also the abbreviations used in the hobby, by perusing one of the known dealer sites I listed, and then asking what you wish to ask. I see that the new clone movement daytonas are listed for $628 before shipping. https://www.intime03.co/rollie/5124-pre-order-daytona-116515-rg-case-black-ceramic-bezel-noob-1-1-best-edition-brown-dial-on-rubber-strap-sa4130.html. I understand you bought a different model. You probably paid around the same price, or slightly more. Nothing horrifying though.

4. Come back again and ask the questions you wish to ask.

Thank you for your reply the info and link, Very helpful.

We are here to help, and I will like to make it clear to newbies that:

1. We were ALL once newbies. There is nothing abhorrent about that. We do not believe in ragging or bullying just because you are new.

2. The right attitude and approach counts. If you meet an asshole in the morning, one in the afternoon and one at night, chances are.. you are the asshole. Be polite and positive and ask your questions nicely. You will get help.

3. Everything we ever learnt, was new to us at some point, and we may become learned in our own fields of interest/expertise. This community is about convening and sharing of our own knowledge and tips. If you are helped along at some point, learn to say thank you and move on and pay it forward. Don't just read and keep quiet and resurface again with new questions the next time you encounter issues. That is bad form. 

Guest messinapete
We are here to help, and I will like to make it clear to newbies that:

1. We were ALL once newbies. There is nothing abhorrent about that. We do not believe in ragging or bullying just because you are new.
2. The right attitude and approach counts. If you meet an [censored] in the morning, one in the afternoon and one at night, chances are.. you are the [censored]. Be polite and positive and ask your questions nicely. You will get help.
3. Everything we ever learnt, was new to us at some point, and we may become learned in our own fields of interest/expertise. This community is about convening and sharing of our own knowledge and tips. If you are helped along at some point, learn to say thank you and move on and pay it forward. Don't just read and keep quiet and resurface again with new questions the next time you encounter issues. That is bad form. 

Thank you for the tips.