When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6350 Case Set

jmb

Seems like you can build all sorts of things with an Explorer case.  I was recently commissioned by a Bro. on a different forum to do some tweaks for a 6350 build he was starting.  This is one of the more interesting case sets I've built.

It starts with the basic mid case that you guys refer to as a "V2" with a T21 crystal for a more domed look.  The case-back is then reshaped to simulate a bubble-back with the inside engraved in the "old" style.  A vastly different bezel tops it off and the result was pretty cool.  I really hated the bezel in pictures but once finished it started growing on me.

Here's some pics...

Case 6.jpg

Case 1.jpg

Case 2 w serial blurred.jpg

Case 3.jpg

Case 4.jpg

CB 3.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure what kind of dial he is going to put in it.  That's the fun part of this - making a part of a project and then seeing the finished product later down the road... :)

Really looking forward to receiving this JMB!   You really knocked it out of the park on this case!! ... Yes I plan on going with a Waffle Explorer dial.  I have a few options but I would really like to get my hands on an old Tonny's 6350 dial ....e been shaking the bushes on a few differnt forums and have come up with nada....Does anyone have one tucked away in their desk drawer or parts bin?  $$$ in hand!! 

IMG_0831.JPG.de7c7811814c6538b81c68c4ed23f70b.JPG

Somebody??  Anybody??!!  Help a brotha out! 

Edited by JSebWC

• 2 weeks later...

A small update :
I received the case set from Justin last week. It’s even nicer in person. Thanks again J. It was a pleasure working with you on this special build. The bezel turned out great and looks better than in the pics. Neither of us were overly fond of the 6350 specific bezel. But I wanted to take this build one step above the others I’ve seen and go with an early production bezel with domed crystal

Received my hands and crown from Raffles yesterday. Just as a point of interest. The raffles BREVET + crowns that they offer fit the stock tube that is on these cases.
Spent some time shaping it. Still needs a bit more work to look right but happy it fit

Waiting on my dial. I hope to receive it in the next week or two and then we can get this thing together.
7384bf6872e24ad6083a7ffa4ee22e58.jpg

Stay tuned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A small update :
I received the case set from Justin last week. It’s even nicer in person. Thanks again J. It was a pleasure working with you on this special build. The bezel turned out great and looks better than in the pics. Neither of us were overly fond of the 6350 specific bezel. But I wanted to take this build one step above the others I’ve seen and go with an early production bezel with domed crystal

Received my hands and crown from Raffles yesterday. Just as a point of interest. The raffles BREVET + crowns that they offer fit the stock tube that is on these cases.
Spent some time shaping it. Still needs a bit more work to look right but happy it fit

Waiting on my dial. I hope to receive it in the next week or two and then we can get this thing together.
7384bf6872e24ad6083a7ffa4ee22e58.jpg&key=ebf19d8a06dd234b34edd195b39851afb2243d7392b560914d80c9b850a222cf

Stay tuned

Were you able to find a waffle dial? Who’s got the sauce on the high quality waffle dial reps?

Were you able to find a waffle dial? Who’s got the sauce on the high quality waffle dial reps?

Yes. Minh quy. $$$$
But it’s the next best thing to finding NOS Rolex dial.

Update: 

Dial is done and arrived yesterday....a day ahead of schedule  Thank you DHL! 

I am pleasantly surprised!! Pics can not do it justice   beautiful gilt text and the lume is exactly the shade I was after...it looks more orange in the pic..but its a toasted almond colour.

Dial is glossy which I was not expecting but I love how the waffle texture catches the light.☺️

I was thinking that I might have to send this away to a builder but it looks like this is gonna be a straight forward build   I was worried about the dial fitting...seems no issue.   The lume matching to the hands to the dial..also its very close....close enough for the girls I go with anyway so I wont need to relume the hands.  I will age the lume slightly but all should be good.

I was considering a seiko movement a 7s26  but I did want the ability to hand wind.   I have a perfectly good 2824 from a 1016 build that I picked up recently that is running awesome so I will use that   I did however want to have the date function removed from movement but I am to excited to get this built now that I have all the parts here so I am gonna live with it for now and down the road when and if the ETA shits the bed I will get another one and have it the date function removed on that one.   I just didnt want the wait and worry of customs risks to send it to a builder.

Wish me luck guys..Im going in ....pics  soon...stay tuned!! 

9faf90e7-4a02-4c61-a0ff-4f7cc59dfb8d.thumb.jpg.29d4a83d359e712f8ed7d80a0f895ad2.jpg

Here are the progress pics

Parts next to donor watch.
e104902a770c87c01a9242148f4685a3.jpg

I pulled the 1016 apart for the movement The 1016 dial and hands are available if anyone is looking for a nicely aged look. I think I’m gonna hold onto the ver 1 JMB CASE as I think I may want to build a pre explorer bubble back down the road.

Waffle dial is on a Rolex plate so I had to snip the feet and use dial dots.
42716a7b8fdd2d6ed449e0b36d0da882.jpg

Fit the dial to movement
41ea241c8f0eefbe53e5b013aa613202.jpg

Fit hands These were a snug fit. The minute hand popped off twice. Never had that happen before. A bit of persuasion and I got them on
Aged the lume on dial and hands. Hands are ever so slightly lighter but I’m cool with it. I really like these sub hands as they are uncommon from the typical Merc hand set. The seconds hand with the pip at the end looks great as it goes around the chapter ring.
b160c6f20d37b0b7091c175b64a29658.jpg

Dropped it into the case and buttoned it up and she’s done !!
710930faceffad19f0618fa68663cfd2.jpg

Ain’t she a beauty.
2b278c88dd5f3a86579ace5c89aa24ea.jpg

b694690f97329231f2264e6ae43c36d9.jpg

Love how the dial captures the light.
39e471c1599c15f08d0bcfa56e61b2c1.jpg

Fit to a rivet bracelet and it’s done !!!
585561b439d8bcfd588262c0cb09dd7c.jpg

A few minor adjustments needed. The dial is ever so slightly off center. And the hands aren’t lined up perfectly but I’ll make those adjustments later. Today I am just armoured with the watch

The thicker bezel and domed crystal really give the feeling of an older piece and you can see the lineage of the bubble back in its appearance.

Absolutely thrilled with how this build came together. Big thanks to JMB For the case set and to the forum. This community is a great resource for allowing us to get our hands on and enjoy incredibly rare time pieces such as this

The 6350 Explorer is the first of line and being named so after the successful climb of Mt Everest. Rolex really designed and built a looker in this reference. The dial. The hands. Just a harmonious combination of design elements in a pure tool watch with great heritage.

These pieces are incredibly rare as a small number were made. Because is that. In today’s market. The 6350., depending on condition will trade for 50-80 thousand USD. i know own one for a fraction of that price. I couldn’t be happier.

Thanks for the read and as always. Questions and comments welcome.

Cheers

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Dang..... that's one of the prettiest watches I've seen in years. :tu:

Thank you Nanuq!!  

I am working on the case ageing now....started with some light marks yesterday and had to snap a few more pics. 

Just loving it!! 

IMG_1699.jpg

Oh, Man!  Don't ask Nanuq for any vintagizing tips or next thing you know you'll be driving over it with your car and then hooking it to the bumper with some paracord and dragging it for a few miles down a gravel road!!! :Jumpy:

22 minutes ago, jmb said:

Oh, Man!  Don't ask Nanuq for any vintagizing tips or next thing you know you'll be driving over it with your car and then hooking it to the bumper with some paracord and dragging it for a few miles down a gravel road!!! :Jumpy:

Ha  Thanks for the warning!!   I prefer a well cared for safe queen with some character than a piece that was heavily used and abused..  

Both looks great in my opinion but with the dial looking so good on this piece I couldn't bring myself to age it more than I did....at least at this point...in the future my tastes may change. For this piece anyway.  

This :

EXPLORER_1_6350_HONEYCOMB_01.thumb.jpg.86f3e4bda7584c2a3f75525fab36ec37.jpg

as opposed to this.

image1.thumb.jpeg.6e7aff133189f3aedcd6c8226b25dc60.jpeg

This one however does look awesome on the leather strap ..DSC7783.thumb.jpg.1647ae9d2c0d8ada39e3dc3637809191.jpg

Notice the variations of the hand sets.   The first one is the 6204 sub hands with end pip.  second is the merc with what looks like a more modern merc hand set  and the third has the pencil hand set and lollipop seconds hand that that is common with the merc hand set    Its interesting in the variations that show up on the early watches..either by  year or parts availability  or service and replacement    Its why I really like vintage watches..they all have their unquie character  all from the same short run of the 6350 but all slightly different 

Edited by JSebWC