When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stupid question

alterego

I feel quite ridiculous asking this question, but can you tell me the meaning of friending money by paypal ? I'm thinking of buying a watch on ebay, and this guy comes asking me to friend him  the money. He says if I want the watch shipped to Chile I'll have to trust him. He says he'll send the watch shipped with tracking, to avoid the chance of the wattch being lost in the mail and loosing his watch (money) when ebay potentially would refund me for the loss.  . Am paranoid about this deal thinking it's a scam  ? or is it a common thing in watch trade in the internet ?

Thank you for reading my question

It's a common request.   There is less tax or fees for the recipient when you send the money as/to a friend.   I'm not sure but it seems to be only for when I sent money to Europeans that this is a big deal or saves any money. 

This is what I believe so someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by RickFlorida

6 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

Be wary I think friends and family stops you being able to open a dispute if something goes wrong. You’ve been around long enough, perhaps a,CONUS brother would bounce the Watch for you?

Glad you cleared that up.  I didn't know this.  I incorrectly assumed people just ask this to get cheaper tax or fees.  Thanks for correcting.

Thank you Rick and Sogeha for your comments on my question. Both bring different perspectives on the matter, which means learning something new in this business.

You are right about havinge been around quite sometime in this game ,but I had never heard about the term friend money in all this time. I know now this is a common practice and I should not be that afarid of a scam. Unless this man decides not to send the watch once he receives the funds.

It's a $65 deal, so no big risk, but I'll still think a little about it, before I buy.

Many thanks you guys.

Being honest I’d only send money friends and family through pp if you know the person or it’s a m2m deal and your confident you’ll get the watch. 

Ebay is rife with dodgy sellers and pp will only cover you providing you follow the rules for cover, why don’t you say you’ll cover the pp fees instead....won’t be a lot on that sort of money? 

32 minutes ago, sgtguk said:

Being honest I’d only send money friends and family through pp if you know the person or it’s a m2m deal and your confident you’ll get the watch. 

Ebay is rife with dodgy sellers and pp will only cover you providing you follow the rules for cover, why don’t you say you’ll cover the pp fees instead....won’t be a lot on that sort of money? 

most sellers will of reps not accept regular pp as it can offer the posibility of a dispute if the buyer gets regrets/says he has ordered a gen watch and got a rep ect.

Mike, I can understand...in my personal experience it is the opposite. I buy more then I sell and not many sellers accept pp with fees unless buyer and seller know eachother or both are longtime members...maybe depends on the forum where you buy but with my buys on RWG most of the sellers go with pp friend

On 8/26/2018 at 2:33 PM, capice said:

? didn't know that....

Been like that for a while now Capice, all the transactions over there that I've had have been normal PP payments. It's too easy with gift to shaft the seller come what may!