When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep 904L steel, is it legit? What do buyers think of it?

508-Fanatic

"A picture tells 1000 words or perhaps even more!"

I have seen a lot of genuine rlx cases like this and owned a few in worse condition although most were 316.  The worst were 16000 series DJ with cal 3035. 

Also seen many rotted 1600 DJ and 4 digit submariner cases and have a movement/dial rescued from a rotted out 1680 that is now residing in a DW case.

No need to shed crocodile tears... 

Make your rolex last 5 years!

Wash it each and every day...

With Enviro-Green Rot-Not Spray!  :animal_rooster:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, horologist said:

Lastly, as I said I hate debating and wished I had this picture a lot earlier to spare all the subsequent words.  A picture tells 1000 words or perhaps even more!!!!  This is a 904L stainless steel case with a 3135 movement   Upon removing the case back seal, it is evident that these holes were not made by termites, but surely is a form of corrosion.  I will let the viewers decide as to what it is, but I guarantee that it is not fly Sh*t either!!!!! It may not have been caused by H2SO4 nor HCL or even S2O3(2−) but even less aggressive oxidants in the environment which prove that 904L is nothing special. I think most of us here expect it to be as inert and noble like Gold or Platinum.  .  If that were the case the metallurgist who designed it would be richer than Rockefeller.  Rolex could have used a titanium case instead of this 904L gag

corroded-904Lcase.thumb.png.c2a9fa12a49dc0004152c7d80c1ca854.png

If that is 904L im quite surprised given that its not that old. However you are correct 904L isn't anything special, its special for a purpose just like any alloy, Ive not in all my years of using the material seen this kind of pitting on it. Thanks for posting that because i wouldn't have believed it otherwise lol  it must have been the absolute perfect storm of chemical reactions on that persons skin lol  pretty wild !   In the end Rolex only used this because it was considered and exotic Stainless steel at the time they started using it no matter how much they wanted to say it was for corrosion reasons and like any good marketing strategy they sold it well.  Personally I do not see the benefit of using 904L in a watch over 316L, especially as it is a bastard on cutting bits. its a great material for what I use it for lol but so is C1045 for some things lol

"Let's not forget it wont be a fair test to compare a 1970's 316 case with a 2000 904 steel."

All is fair in love and war.  :prop:
It's just a little debate with both of you making excellent points.... far away from war lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, int905 said:

I have compared a $418 noob V8 sub with a $528 Noob v9 904L steel, and would personally go for the V9, simply because of the better engravings and the better datewheel, not because the steel is "better".

I have found no difference in steel. The "story that 904 is much more shiny, brighter, etc" is bs (or marketing), as 316 steel can be finished much brighter than the 904 steel's noob/vrf/etc's factory finish somewhere in the swiss alps of Guangzhou, in the end of the day its about the final finish and what methods are used. (I am not going to get into the details of each particle, molecule, and reactions of these metals, as I am sure by the time its called for that, by then the movements will chew itself within time).

However, when one places a v8 and v9 (904) next to each other regardless of the sun, neon, or any other lighting there is absolutely no difference and they both look the same.

Second, they even said that the v9's bezel is constructed from a GEN sample that also is a hoax as there is no difference between the v8 and v9 bezel. It's the same bezel construction. Just difference in engraving (namely inner end links, and rehaute), and different datewheel. ( compared in August 2018 - every batch they change something slightly).

d757c111c3b1880394fb4e194a7c8df5.jpg

I couldn't agree more, in the end of the day 904 and 316 look exactly alike to the naked eye and for anyone who thinks they can see a difference it is 100% psychological.  I have compared 316 reps to my 904 gens and they look exactly alike in all light conditions when I used the same Bergeon brushing blocks. SO the extra money just because its 904 is really silly because on the wrist no one can tell, it should be more about the markings and details as you suggested. Most of us will not have these reps long enough to see severe degradation of the material so it really doesn't matter.   

5 minutes ago, altesporsche said:

I couldn't agree more, in the end of the day 904 and 316 look exactly alike to the naked eye and for anyone who thinks they can see a difference it is 100% psychological.  I have compared 316 reps to my 904 gens and they look exactly alike in all light conditions when I used the same Bergeon brushing blocks. SO the extra money just because its 904 is really silly because on the wrist no one can tell, it should be more about the markings and details as you suggested. Most of us will not have these reps long enough to see severe degradation of the material so it really doesn't matter.   

Its all a stunt. They need to sell X amount of watches. sell X amount of parts within their circle. Its always one account that sells the parts, and other account that sells the wrapped watches. Then they market  how "great 904L steel is".  it starts from RWI...

If someone else brings the same product to the market (same site they sell) they make "fake stories"  and try to ban them. happened to me: I brought noob V9 and 16610JF to CONUS and they banned me from selling because its not coming from them directly... they made fake stories up...  their claim  at first  was that I cant sell watches with wrappers so they put my account on hold but they always sell one from one account with wrappers on and charge in Euro. I took the wrappers out and tried to sell them then they said you cant sell new watches for profit, when I told them to proof how much profit i am making - they didnt want look stupid so they banned me -claiming that I leave myself feedback....lol       https://www.repgeek.com/straps-and-watch-parts/297274-rolex-submariner-16610-modded-extra.html

I moved from RWI to Repgeek and tried to sell parts, they attacked me there making falls allegations and trying to kick me out from there...  its not in RWI's best interest if traffic moves away from them to Repgeek so its logical to have the person banned from other forums also.....

I dont know if RWI and Repgeek are internally connected ( as i am a new hobbyist) but if they are then Ill be banned from there also(just a matter of time), then I will come here, and they will try to ban me from here....lol

Its all part of a stunt like the 904L steel....  do you guys know if the forums are all connected as a monopoly ? or are each independent

• Like 1

"Most of us will not have these reps long enough to see severe degradation of the material so it really doesn't matter."

Bingo!   

Can't see much sense in paying over $10 or $20 extra for supposedly 904 in a replica.  The stuff is not expensive...it's common acid transport pipe used in hundreds of factories.

Any watch company other than rlx bragged about using it and it would be ignored.

https://www.finishing.com/197/23.shtml

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, automatico said:

"Most of us will not have these reps long enough to see severe degradation of the material so it really doesn't matter."

Bingo!   

Can't see much sense in paying over $10 or $20 extra for supposedly 904 in a replica.  The stuff is not expensive...it's common acid transport pipe used in hundreds of factories.

Any watch company other than rlx bragged about using it and it would be ignored.

https://www.finishing.com/197/23.shtml

Exactly !  I feel I have the perfect 116610 rep right now using the V6S case set.. it was the most accurate shape and finish etc.. and its 316 but seriously you cannot tell.. Ive had it in Rolex shops and no one questions it. (its a franked watch the full rep could probably get called out by very few)  

904 is more expensive than 316 by only a small margin in the material they use for a watch.. Machining is more costly because its harder on cutting bits but the case is stamped to the basic shape anyways like rolex does for minimal machining is required to finish the product, so the process isn't that much more costly using it vs. 316 on a rep. 

Like you said I also don't see the point in paying that $100 extra because its 904L ... its not worth it unless you are hell bent on showing someone your metal analysis of your watch lol  if they make another fantastic case like the V6S case etc.. ill probably buy it just for shits and giggles. also I think the noob Daytona is fine in 316 it looks exactly the same as my gens.. ill not be upgrading when a case is available in 904L, but am in search of better SELs lol

Exactly !  I feel I have the perfect 116610 rep right now using the V6S case set.. it was the most accurate shape and finish etc.. and its 316 but seriously you cannot tell.. Ive had it in Rolex shops and no one questions it. (its a franked watch the full rep could probably get called out by very few)  

904 is more expensive than 316 by only a small margin in the material they use for a watch.. Machining is more costly because its harder on cutting bits but the case is stamped to the basic shape anyways like rolex does for minimal machining is required to finish the product, so the process isn't that much more costly using it vs. 316 on a rep. 

Like you said I also don't see the point in paying that $100 extra because its 904L ... its not worth it unless you are hell bent on showing someone your metal analysis of your watch lol  if they make another fantastic case like the V6S case etc.. ill probably buy it just for shits and giggles. also I think the noob Daytona is fine in 316 it looks exactly the same as my gens.. ill not be upgrading when a case is available in 904L, but am in search of better SELs lol
Well, better SEL but inferior engraving on the SEL like when ARF lasers it so you have another year to improve with another version. Better insert but crappy case engraving like 904 steel ARF, the engraving is awful.

Perfect phenomenon would be to make two watches under two separate names. One with better engravings and one with better insert. So instead of selling one watch you can sell two ? No!?! Lol

(...) You may ask who would put their timepiece in urine?  One can be surprised what gets onto your wrist...

22 hours ago, madasboot said:

:) some questions are better left unanswered....

I recall helping my lady change our child's nappy some years ago and before we had just finished, a big splash of pee squirted us everywhere.  I don't even remember if I was wearing a watch or not  as this was long before these topics were even a thought.  Now you got me worried as I may not have rinsed my non waterproof Seiko dress watch:confused:  So it is not such a bizarre contemplation!! LOL!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Timelord said:

(...) You may ask who would put their timepiece in urine?  One can be surprised what gets onto your wrist...

I recall helping my lady change our child's nappy some years ago and before we had just finished, a big splash of pee squirted us everywhere. 

That just happened to me an hour ago... :)

Curious thing is back in 2007, a fellow RWG member told he used urine to soak some dials in, and then vinegar and hair blower before "firebake" them in an oven... ahahah    

This is a meaningful gentlemen's debate @altesporsche @horologist

The community benefits from both your knowledge and points of views. 

A forum is a platform for a discussion, and this is a very in-depth and matured discussion.

Thank you guys. You have both proven to be very knowledgeable in your own fields and there is much we can learn from both your posts. 

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, Legend said:

A forum is a platform for a discussion, and this is a very in-depth and matured discussion.

Thank you guys. You have both proven to be very knowledgeable in your own fields and there is much we can learn from both your posts. 

It is an absolute privilege and an honour to be part of this wonderful forum.  I didn't see it so much as a debate, but an exchange of knowledge and experiences for the very reason why we are all here.  I find that all the members I have known here to be a league of gentlemen !!!! . I learnt a lot from everyone here no matter how trivial or complex the information may seem and I am still learning  !!!  I first learnt of this forum from  forum member "Automatico" and am grateful to be here!!!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, horologist said:

It is an absolute privilege and an honour to be part of this wonderful forum.  I didn't see it so much as a debate, but an exchange of knowledge and experiences for the very reason why we are all here.  I find that all the members I have known here to be a league of gentlemen !!!! . I learnt a lot from everyone here no matter how trivial or complex the information may seem and I am still learning  !!!  I first learnt of this forum from  forum member "Automatico" and am grateful to be here!!!!

Totally agree.

Along my travels I had the honour and pleasure to meet some of our fellow members, between 2007 and 2010 in London, NY, Toulouse, Sao Paulo, Madrid, etc... and I have much more than the good impressions I had with the interactions within the forum boundary. Grateful for that and to everyone that keeps the good flame.

cheers,

M.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:36 AM, Legend said:

This is what it is all about !  we are all here because of our love for watches and people sharing their experiences and knowledge.  I'm hoping the days of people sharing more build experience comes back, when a wealth of information was passed around these forums.

Ive met many great people in the many many years ive been on this and a few other forums, learned a shit ton of stuff and had a lot of good laughs ! which is pretty wild considering we are all from different walks of life !  I find that incredibly interesting ! I don't think I have seen any other club or online forum that i'm a member of behave in this way.. 

Cheers fellas ! 

11 hours ago, horologist said:

Amen !

"I find that incredibly interesting ! I don't think I have seen any other club or online forum that i'm a member of behave in this way..."

My thoughts exactly.  There is a lot of knowledge and experience on here and everyone is willing to help if needed. 

It seems some of the 'genuine' watch forums are not nearly as friendly.

Who has the best sub this week?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I bought an arf Dj 36mm around 8 months back
Worn it daily
It's beat up pretty bad but even after the scratches it looks good

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

One thunk though, the bezel isn't the same
I see some dirt or tory rust inside the bezel and Ives tried getting it off but it just wont go
It's not visible to the naked eye but its taken away abut of the amazing shine of the bezel 83788830f2c7deb1e9c5d0e68baa3c7c.jpg

. 6c40d5a8045593480ef863ac34b1d467.jpg

Over all still an amazing watch and very comfortable to wear. Never feel like. Taking it off905de0cda3c04720ca56f3b5495ed1c1.jpg