When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What brand makes this 5513 crystal?

RickFlorida

Hello everyone.  I'm in the process of repairing a cartel case that has been nicely shaped to look like an actual 5513 case.  The repair is to make and solder on a whole new crystal neck because the last one was too small.

Anyways, long story short, because I can still make small adjustments to the new crystal neck before welding it onto the case, I'd like to make it a perfect fit for these very flat looking 5513 crystals I get on Ebay from California.  I've never seen any other flat looking crystals for tropic 19 except for this seller.  I don't mind buying from just him but what if he goes out of business.  I'd like to feel comfortable knowing if this crystal is made by a certain brand so I can have the same water tight fit.  (you guys know how hard it is to fit a crystal so it doesn't crack but is also water proof)

He says it's Swiss so it can't be the well known German brand... any ideas which brand makes this crystal?  The package he sends them in has no name on it and he so far refuses to tell me what brand they are.  I guess he thinks I'll buy it else where but I swear I just want to know in case he goes out of business.  It's such hard work building the case neck to fit water tight that I need to know who is manufacturing this crystal.

Thanks guys.

IMG_0548.jpeg

Edited by RickFlorida

"...any ideas which brand makes this crystal?" 

No idea, they may be custom made in Switzerland with the source kept secret.  I have used a few and they were very good quality, I plan to get a few spares before long. 

They should keep for at least 10 years.  I have some crystals that are 25+ years old and they are still flexible as when new.  I keep them in a dark cabinet at room temperature.

5 minutes ago, automatico said:

"...any ideas which brand makes this crystal?" 

No idea, they may be custom made in Switzerland with the source kept secret.  I have used a few and they were very good quality, I plan to get a few spares before long. 

They should keep for at least 10 years.  I have some crystals that are 25+ years old and they are still flexible as when new.  I keep them in a dark cabinet at room temperature.

Good point.  They are only 15 bucks with free shipping so I can I can buy 2 or 3 extras and store them.  If they are custom, i wonder how he sells them for 15 bucks here in the states.  If he didn't say they are swiss, I would guess they are from HK or something, only because I know they make a lot over there.  GS makes nothing this flat, right?  On Otto Frei they don't show generic or GS that are this flat.   Are there more than one German brand?

23 minutes ago, RickFlorida said:

Good point.  They are only 15 bucks with free shipping so I can I can buy 2 or 3 extras and store them.  If they are custom, i wonder how he sells them for 15 bucks here in the states.  If he didn't say they are swiss, I would guess they are from HK or something, only because I know they make a lot over there.  GS makes nothing this flat, right?  On Otto Frei they don't show generic or GS that are this flat.   Are there more than one German brand?

The GS PA462-19M looks like this WHVAy.jpg

Not sure if it's quite as flat as the one you posted, but I can tell you that it's flatter and less obtrusive than the PA462-20A. It is also slightly wider in its inner diameter; it's the only crystal I've found that will fit on gen spec 6538 cases (made for the unavailable Tropic 17).

Edited by jimcon11