When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New member! Need some guidance

Jegypt2

Hi all

Just joined and looking for some help.

I had a decent collection of genuine and replica watches a while back, ended up selling all my reps and keeping only 2 genuine watches....rolex sub 11613 and panerai pam90.

Was going to sell the pam90 and get an AP panda but while I was searching online i came across this site and started thinking maybe i could get a rep AP and keep my pam90!

I bought a stainless rolex sub from watchmaker9 many years ago and that watch was so accurate in keeping time and looked 9/10 i was impressed. 

Can anyone point me to sellers where i can buy a top quality AP or Rolex rep? I'm not afraid to spend a few bucks if it means its almost perfect.

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, Jegypt2 said:

Hi all

Just joined and looking for some help.

I had a decent collection of genuine and replica watches a while back, ended up selling all my reps and keeping only 2 genuine watches....rolex sub 11613 and panerai pam90.

Was going to sell the pam90 and get an AP panda but while I was searching online i came across this site and started thinking maybe i could get a rep AP and keep my pam90!

I bought a stainless rolex sub from watchmaker9 many years ago and that watch was so accurate in keeping time and looked 9/10 i was impressed. 

Can anyone point me to sellers where i can buy a top quality AP or Rolex rep? I'm not afraid to spend a few bucks if it means its almost perfect.

Thanks guys!

hello @Jegypt2 and welcome to RWG.

The rep game has evolved to a stage where many reps are visually acceptable. Also, modding reps (especially AP and Rolex) have become a salient part of the hobby.

Did you mean the 42mm panda or the 44mm one? Modding will make a world of visual difference for AP ROO reps especially. So yes, save the money and try a modded rep first, and if you really like it, it will not be late to switch to a gen :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"I like vintage older 4 digit models but have been keeping up with the advances in modern style replicas."

Welcome aboard!

My observations:

1...Replicas have come a long way toward excellence in case, dial, and bracelet appearance and quality.

2...Many of the movements are junk.

This is a harsh assessment but it is the way I see it.

One ray of light is the Miyota 9015 is finding its way into the fray.  Sellita swiss etaclones are Ok along with fresh 100% genuine swissetas that are getting scarce in replicas today.

That being said, if I was in the market for the latest modern s-mariner, I would get one with a standard China etaclone rather than a 3135 clone and have a swisseta ready for when it locks up.  It may run for quite a while.

'Standard' = not dressed up with fake two screw bridges, red reversers etc.

Q...What's wrong with the 3135 clone?

A...No parts available except for a few expensive genuine parts that will work.  That disqualifies it for me.

One reason why the WM9 was so good is it had a swisseta.

Soooo i ended up buying an AP Royal Oak Chrono SS/LE White Theme A-7750 (AP0213) and YachtMaster 116688 Blue YG/YG White BP Asia 4161 Mod (ROLYM137) from Trusty time.

The AP looks great, feels great, and overall I think is an excellent rep. The movement, however, stinks. Its loud, the winding is harsh. The rolex movement is even worse, so loud that the movement winding mechanism can be heard across the room.

I emailed Andrew and he advised to try self winding them and using it for a few days to see if it improves. Hopefully it gets better.

14 minutes ago, Jegypt2 said:

Soooo i ended up buying an AP Royal Oak Chrono SS/LE White Theme A-7750 (AP0213) and YachtMaster 116688 Blue YG/YG White BP Asia 4161 Mod (ROLYM137) from Trusty time.

The AP looks great, feels great, and overall I think is an excellent rep. The movement, however, stinks. Its loud, the winding is harsh. The rolex movement is even worse, so loud that the movement winding mechanism can be heard across the room.

I emailed Andrew and he advised to try self winding them and using it for a few days to see if it improves. Hopefully it gets better.

The noise issues will not resolve themselves over time. The winding can become very slightly smoother with use yes. 

If you intend to keep the watches, best to get them properly serviced.