When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What watch(es) will you never buy the gen of?

Legend

OK guys,

What desired watch(es) will you never buy the genuine of, and instead will opt to keep, buy or modify the replica counterpart? 

I think that the replica watch game these days has evolved enough to sufficiently justify this question. The quality and visuals of several rep models have crept close enough to their gen counterparts, and I also personally feel that the rep community is growing at a much more frenetic pace than the ones discussing/trading genuine watches. I do not have any scientific theory to prove or disprove this, but being a guy active on both sides of the watch hobby in general, I feel in general that the replica owners are a lot more knowledgeable and passionate about their watches and of course the mods that can be done to them. Most of the friends whom I made in this hobby are from the replica watch communities. Pardon me, I do digress. ;)

To ask the question in another way, what rep watch do you own, that satisfies you enough such that the gen one becomes more or less (though maybe never completely) redundant? I think that a lot of Panerai models (no offense intended toward genuine Panerai collectors) will fall under the category. Maybe the V6 Hublot Big Bangs, and the AP ROO divers. So please feel free to share your opinions and also your collection. This is an open post to all in the community and you can share anything related to the topic. 

For those of you who bothered to read this far, I am giving out a gift of $50 for the post I like the most, and $25 to the runner up post. This will be paid via paypal at the end of Sep 2018. So bring it on guys! I want to hear from you.

@Mike on a bike, @Sogeha @kernow @nikki6  

• Like 2

AP Diver.  Ceramic in my case and I do not even have the latest version, however it is highly modded and on the wrist it would take an amazing expert's eye to spot it wasn't a gen if even then it could be spotted.

Absolutely stunning watch I would of certainly considered a gen of in the future before finding RWG and obtaining a modded rep version.

Think that deserves a thank you RWG for both saving me a fortune but also keeping me happy at the same time.

• Like 2

"What desired watch(es) will you never buy the genuine of, and instead will opt to keep, buy or modify the replica counterpart?"

Any modern (sapphire) rolex. 

I like the 16610 but would never buy one unless it was a real bargain. 

The only 16610 replicas I have are F520117 Noobs and a few assorted not noob 21j and swisseta models from 12 or 15 years back.  Do not wear them, like vintage better.

Do not care for the fat lug ceramic models.

"To ask the question in another way, what rep watch do you own, that satisfies you enough such that the gen one becomes more or less (though maybe never completely) redundant?"

MBK Frankenstein 5512 and 5513.  Both have 15xx movements/ST bez kit/GS crystal/ST case tube/genuine crowns.  Imho this makes them just about as good as a high priced genuine watch without the worry of putting a scratch in the case or corrosion creeping up on it. 

The only worthwhile improvement would probably be to jerk the 15xx movements out and stick freshened 2846 Etas in them...  :animal_rooster:

• Like 4

Well........ pull up a bollard and I’ll tell ye a story. 

Back in the days just before my time here at RWG, I hankered after a Seamaster Pro Chronograph. I looked and longed but didn’t want to drop £2750 on a new one. With it being my first luxury/expensive watch (over £500) I naturally wanted it new. My friend had a Seamaster Pro that got me into Omega along with James Bond. 

I travelled a lot for business back then, often traveling to Switzerland for work and this made the desire even greater - bloody airport shops! My mind was set, I’d save a little each month and buy one later that year. Luckily, I was working in Guernsey too, which whilst part of the UK is also duty free. On one such visit a deal was struck for a VERY good price and I became the proud owner of a new Seamaster Pro Chronograph - in blue of course. 

I wore it sparingly and with pride, but I felt guilty of the money I’d spent on it and nervous of damaging it. Then, within weeks I discovered RWG and high quality reps,  hallelujah, problem solved. I’ll sell the gen and buy one rep of my Seamaster Pro Chrono.........

Yeah right! I couldn’t bring myself to sell such a nice watch and investment (lol). Then, what if the reps were rubbish? I’d only have to buy another gen. Best pop the gen back on the winder and just use the rep, or another rep, or the black one, or the white one, or the franken built by Micky. Bugger, this has cost me more than the gen, but it’s been a whole lot more fun! 

This is the gen. 

DCA3E006-1E54-49A0-BE15-7C9AF4362C1F.jpeg

Mr Black - with 2xAR

57F7F0A8-394C-478C-94C9-1D5D6DF15834.jpeg

My first rep Seamaster Pro Chrono, now residing in Italy. 

2A88DE49-C04A-4F2F-BB13-32DE6B92C661.jpeg

Mr White, gen relumed dial and bezel, 2xAR. Built by Micky

E9D76127-C905-41B4-9C45-65EDE1DAB2A0.jpeg

Franken with ETA 7750 and gen relumed dial. 

7C701C9D-9252-4DC2-B12E-DEA624DA3079.jpeg

Modded Blue with repainted hands, reversed date and 2xAR started with pumpkin insert. 

E22340F4-D688-4DDF-9EBD-5BEC6F12F1F5.jpeg

.... and now has a dark grey ceramic insert. 

EC4728CA-8E2D-4CEF-8F1E-EE175F45A5BB.jpeg

So in hindsight, would I buy the gen? No, probably not. But hey I’m gonna keep it now anyway for special occasions lol

• Like 3

Well........ pull up a bollard and I’ll tell ye a story. 

Back in the days just before my time here at RWG, I hankered after a Seamaster Pro Chronograph. I looked and longed but didn’t want to drop £2750 on a new one. With it being my first luxury/expensive watch (over £500) I naturally wanted it new. My friend had a Seamaster Pro that got me into Omega along with James Bond. 

I travelled a lot for business back then, often traveling to Switzerland for work and this made the desire even greater - bloody airport shops! My mind was set, I’d save a little each month and buy one later that year. Luckily, I was working in Guernsey too, which whilst part of the UK is also duty free. On one such visit a deal was struck for a VERY good price and I became the proud owner of a new Seamaster Pro Chronograph - in blue of course. 

I wore it sparingly and with pride, but I felt guilty of the money I’d spent on it and nervous of damaging it. Then, within weeks I discovered RWG and high quality reps,  hallelujah, problem solved. I’ll sell the gen and buy one rep of my Seamaster Pro Chrono.........

Yeah right! I couldn’t bring myself to sell such a nice watch and investment (lol). Then, what if the reps were rubbish? I’d only have to buy another gen. Best pop the gen back on the winder and just use the rep, or another rep, or the black one, or the white one, or the franken built by Micky. Bugger, this has cost me more than the gen, but it’s been a whole lot more fun! 

This is the gen. 

DCA3E006-1E54-49A0-BE15-7C9AF4362C1F.thumb.jpeg.1fe43841ec33cb5115ea8836eaa43b70.jpeg

Mr Black - with 2xAR
57F7F0A8-394C-478C-94C9-1D5D6DF15834.thumb.jpeg.55978281883c5969de0892c4f9624369.jpeg

My first rep Seamaster Pro Chrono, now residing in Italy. 
2A88DE49-C04A-4F2F-BB13-32DE6B92C661.thumb.jpeg.dd43dfd1fa4353f7369343ec9b3cb702.jpeg

Mr White, gen relumed dial and bezel, 2xAR. Built by Micky
E9D76127-C905-41B4-9C45-65EDE1DAB2A0.thumb.jpeg.44b0b07c108321abb6100142b5f2b09f.jpeg

Franken with ETA 7750 and gen relumed dial. 
7C701C9D-9252-4DC2-B12E-DEA624DA3079.thumb.jpeg.a8718865de670172e9164c7ee563686a.jpeg

Modded Blue with repainted hands, reversed date and 2xAR started with pumpkin insert. 
E22340F4-D688-4DDF-9EBD-5BEC6F12F1F5.thumb.jpeg.290aa7395c2b1d076c3fc01543b066ad.jpeg

.... and now has a dark grey ceramic insert. 
EC4728CA-8E2D-4CEF-8F1E-EE175F45A5BB.thumb.jpeg.eeb94e4cbf7e37600a6fe8dea053c6e2.jpeg

So in hindsight, would I buy the gen? No, probably not. But hey I’m gonna keep it now anyway for special occasions lol

Haha good read and a small Omega fetish going on here? Got to love duty free wouldn’t buy anywhere else new.

Sent from me
I would not buy a gen
Pam
Iwc
Hublot
Cartier
AP
Some omegas ( speeds are the exceptions)

The reps may not be perfect but close enough.

The reason I didn’t include Rolex because the gen sport model can actually increase in value over time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ass will fall out of them one day hopefully.

Sent from me
  • Like 1

For me it's without doubt the 1675, early PCG model. Why? 

Come on, the old GMT Master is such an iconic, easy to spot, watch and yet there is no decent off the shelf model.

And here lies why I would never buy a gun (apart from cost!) You see, if you truly love this watch and own the rep, you are on a seemingly never ending journey to make it 'just right' you look at it and no matter how good it is, you have put so much research into it that you know even when the tiniest detail is not right, it niggles away at you to make it better.

If I bought a gen, I would not have that drive, that passion nor 'want' I fear I would become bored with it 😞

But I have an in-perfect 1675 that I built from each individual piece, sculpted the case, collected many parts from various sources battled to get them all to fit and look 'right'

But alas...I have a long journey ahead of me. I LOVE IT!!

IMG_2465.jpg

• Like 3

I will avoid TAG Heuer!! and any stainless steel or plated watch with an eta movement, as I can do better in buying a replica here from a dealer with an eta already in it and will come out cheaper!

Also the new fat lug rolex models with ceramic bezel just do not sell unless I can buy it for a fraction of the price and flog it off for half price to someone else, making us both happy!!  

Modern mechanical watches are becoming like the old quartz watches with their silicone hairsprings and other parts not being possible to be made according to traditional watchmaking methods!

Edited by horologist
  • Like 2

I would say most of us here are interested in the history and horological significance of certain brands. 

We invest our money in watches that interest us, whether it’s gen or rep. Usually the brands will have a long and established history and have contributed to technical advancements in watchmaking. That could be the holy trinity of AP, Patek and VC or any of the major houses, but one thing they  all have in common is a long history and a record of developing new ideas to improve their products. 

I guess that would then exclude brands like Tag, Hublot, etc and just about all quartz offerings. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kernow said:

but one thing they  all have in common is a long history and a record of developing new ideas to improve their products. 

I guess that would then exclude brands like Tag, Hublot, etc and just about all quartz offerings. 

Well phrased!!!  The very reason why I would avoid  a TAG!

it may be also a good timepiece but is way too overpriced for what it is when compared to a similar genuine Tissot model with a long history ( and may I add - also great value for money).  It is a different company from the original Heuer which was a different kettle of fish that was created in 1983 as TAG Heuer.  I just love seeing in their ad with a resurrected Steve McQueen (died in 1980) wearing a TAG!!! LOL!!!

• Like 2

There are several watches that i would never buy the gen because the reps are close enought:

-CrPO dial, case, hands, bezel are like 98% close to the gen (got the gen parts back when available at cousinsuk) people complains about the movement but is it not visible on your wrist

-16610LV TC damn close too

-new daytonas with SA4130, there are waiting lists and for that money you can franken a couple of reps with gen parts ( big red and panda)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for your input. Like I mentioned I personally will not buy an AP FC diver, an Hublot Big Bang (older 7750 based models) and most Panerai. Adding the non-chrono Tudors to the list. 

A few more days and I will wrap this thread out and announce the posts I like best. Thank you once again guys! :)

12 minutes ago, kernow said:

....... but @Legend you didn’t mention Breitling - does that mean you’ve a large rep Breitling collection? Photos please!!! 🤪

ah,  but I did qualify in my first post, that it has to be watches we desire. Breitling, desire and me just don't go in the same sentence brother lol

Wow........    At this point I have some 20 reps and two Gens.    I have worn one of the gens (Breitling Chrono Evo) once since I got into the rep hobby in 2014.   Right now I find myself on the 3 watch rotation...........    DSSD-Blue on a rubber-b strap, The PAM Bronzo I bought from you! and my APPLE Watch series 3.

The DSSD-Blue has  a Swiss movement and keeps perfect time.    The Bronzo from you keeps perfect time and looks amazing.    The APPLE Watch is something I keep trying to like, but tire of easily.    I cannot imagine chasing a gen of either mechanical watch, since these look so amazing and run perfectly.

The rest of my reps are sitting in the watch box, gathering dust for now.   Even though I rarely wear them, I can't bring myself to part with them!  😉

I think my answer to this question is... all of them.

Why?

Well - this watch - which I’ve never owned:
https://amjwatches.co.uk/hublot-big-bang-tourbillon-chronograph-cathedral-minute-repeater-all-black-404ci0110rx.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5q64zbTW3QIVCUPTCh2zsQQbEAQYASABEgLqSfD_BwE

is less reliable than this watch (which I’ve also never owned but it was the first one I really lusted for back when I was 8):
https://www.watchshop.com/unisex-casio-core-collection-calculator-alarm-chronograph-watch-ca-53w-1er-p99984413.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shoppingfeeds&source=froogle&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyOith7XW3QIVshXTCh3xkw73EAQYASABEgKw1fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

No-one buys a gen for reliability or for knowing the time.

Even the most expensive AP divers watch isn’t something a serious diver bets their life on these days.

People buy high end gen watches because they appreciate beauty and craftsmanship. They take sheer delight in quality.

They also do so because, like all of us, the persuasive powers of marketing win them over. We all know a 9.99 price point is a psychological trick and we all know a Rolex doesn’t really compensate for not having a six pack stomach. But try telling that your sub-conscious :)

If I buy a rep, I can take delight in quality (perhaps less reliably, but it’s always relative and is still to be found; I have a Domi modded AP that is simply amazing quality). I can afford to do experiments and tinker with new styles and new models.

And I still don’t need to go to the gym :p

• Like 1

The answer to this will also evolve as reps are starting to encroach on NWBIG status on many new models previously though un-rep-able. We're now seeing working tourbillons at the $700-800 mark!

At the moment the ones worth buying in gen are precious metal models, those with special or in-house movements that don't have reliable clones, or any others with too many obvious tells.

• Like 1

The APPLE Watch is something I keep trying to like, but tire of easily.

I was in a part of the world recently where it seemed every second person was wearing an Apple Watch. After a few days, I found myself liking them more and wishing I had mine with me. Weak character I guess :p

Fast forward to now and a few weeks of browsing the forums and lurking the M2M threads and my Apple watch is safely back in the drawer...

Apple Watch phhhhhhffffftt. 

Whilst I have an iPhone, their watches do nothing for me. They shout GEEK from the rooftop. If you’re trying to impress a girl then dress smart, wear nice aftershave, good shoes and a nice watch job done. 

My second post in this thread...

Patek Philippe.

Why?

I have owned a few in the past and they are very expensive (for little reason imho), fragile as a baby's breath, and PP = Patek Parts.

The Nautilus is nice but I always see $5k repair bills in the future.  The old models had JLC 920 movements in them...also used by AP and VC, but not by JLC.  The 920 is known for being thin but not overly reliable...basically an ebauche for snob brands.

A replica with a 9120 is a better bet imho.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, automatico said:

My second post in this thread...

Patek Philippe.

Why?

I have owned a few in the past and they are very expensive (for little reason imho), fragile as a baby's breath, and PP = Patek Parts.

The Nautilus is nice but I always see $5k repair bills in the future.  The old models had JLC 920 movements in them...also used by AP and VC, but not by JLC.  The 920 is known for being thin but not overly reliable...basically an ebauche for snob brands.

A replica with a 9120 is a better bet imho.

I like that - the reps are (possibly) more reliable than the gen. What better reason to buy the rep eh? 

• Like 1

I think I would not buy a gen AP, and 'probably' won't buy any more gen Panerai

I would never buy a gen Rolex cuz everyone and his brother has one, and I try as hard as possible to not 'follow the crowd'. I will, although buy a great 12660 when the fix the pointy bezel as long as they don't screw anything else up.

The only gens I have left are my Omega SMP Pro, Sinn U1, and G-Shock Rangeman (lol)

I probably would buy an IWC Ingenieur 324402 and another Sinn (EZM 1.1 or T3) or two, possibly a GP Seahawk at some point... I've been quietly looking for an SMP Pro chrono in Titanium if I find a good deal. Other than that, the reps are so great these days, and the big watch companies are greedily pricing themselves out of control, it's hard to justify.

My current rep lineup is:

A beautiful AP FC Diver

A fantastic Blancpain Fifty Fathoms
A super duper Blancpain Bathyscaphe

An Eddie Lee PAM 196G ETA 7753

A bootiful PAM 557

A PAM 000

.. and a really good T dial PAM 243J

Here's my anti-Rolex watch just in, and it's growing on me (Thanks Andrew!)

image.thumb.png.752ac6db0f027186609065760a13a7e9.png