When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my 2836-2 is acting strange??

Timelord

I am not sure if anyone has ever had a similar problem with their eta 2836-2?  It may also be a clone as it was purchased form one of the dealers last Christmas, but so far has been working well since I had it for several months.

I had my keyless works playing up and when I adjusted the yoke, I snapped the hook of the setting lever spring.  It was working fine even with the part that latches onto the yoke missing.  As soon as I replaced the new spring, the balance wheel just stops after a few minutes.  I removed the spring and replaced it with the broken one and it has not stopped since.  Replacing the new spring, the same thing happened.  Worse still the datewheel keeps falling off regardless of how many times I have refitted it. 

Interestingly the spring fitted exactly over the yoke and also the bottom part without having to be hooked on as opposed to having latch it on. 

I have done this operation on many of these replicas without a problem but this one seems to have a mind of it's own.  I welcome input, criticisms or thoughts -  thanks!!

9 minutes ago, mymanmatt said:

I don't fully understand exactly which parts you are refering to. Can you be more specific? When you say you broke the hook on the set lever, are you talking about the yoke corrector?

Sorry about the confusion, 

the setting lever spring would also be known as the cover plate.  It looks like the G clef at the beginning of the music score.  There is a hook on top and bottom, where in the bottom there are 3 grooves which move when you pull out the crown in all 3 positions.

When I was trying to hook the top of the spring( or cover plate) onto the top of the yoke, it snapped off.  Anyway this part I have managed to buy online and have replaced. It is usually hooked on the top and bottom of the yoke.  Mine sits automatically on it without having to do this hooking with the screw driver or tweezer, which although sounds nice, I think there is something wrong with it.  BTW it is not the first time that I have amended keyless works!  I suspect it is one of those junk clones as I have repeated this same exercise in my eta 2836-2 Longines without any problems but this seems to be the movement from hell as anything that could go wrong has.just minutes before now I just broke the little tail at the bottom of the date jumper which I believe is for the day wheel :confused:

39 minutes ago, HorFan said:

perhaps the hacking lever is causing the stopping. No idea about the date wheel...

I checked hacking lever by removing the barrel bride and it is not touching the balance wheel.  It also lies nicely in the groove of the clutch (castle looking cog).  The datewheel was already falling off prior to breaking the tail of the jump setting spring.  The balance wheel has decided to stop after a few swings!  :bangin:This movement has been like watching a horror movie.  The other option maybe that I might be getting early senile in my late 30's.

1 hour ago, ceejay said:

Is the lever under tension at the opposite end to the 'G' that you broke off?

There is an open end 'U' shape that need to be hooked behind a little tab on the yoke beneath it.

Yes, both top and bottom of that cover plate ("G"part ) need to be  hooked!  This newly replaced part seems to strangely fit on without needing to hook onto neither of them. I don't want to start twisting any of these hooks to reshape hem as they can easily break and I am back to where I started! This is not the first time I have pulled keyless works apart.  I repeated this with my longines eta right after doing this without any problems!  I am beginning to suspect that this mvt is not a genuine eta and maybe replacement parts are not one to one fit.   

Apart that the datewheel keeps falling off, the balance wheel has decided to stop after a few turns.  I even removed the hacking lever to see how it works without it.  The first thing that would come to mind is that it would need a service, but it is a very clean mvt and you can still fresh oil and above all this, it was working fin until the keyless works played up.  

46 minutes ago, HorFan said:

I've found that gen ETA replacement parts don't always mesh with clone keyless parts, you'll probably have to replace the entire keyless works. The date wheel issue is another matter, the keyless cover should hold it in place.

Totally agree!!  These clones are pure junk when it comes to maintenance and repairs!   Better to spend one third more and get the genuine mechanism, because n the end it will cost more when things go wrong and they WILL go wrong!!

14 hours ago, HorFan said:

I've found that gen ETA replacement parts don't always mesh with clone keyless parts, you'll probably have to replace the entire keyless works. The date wheel issue is another matter, the keyless cover should hold it in place.

Very true!! But replacing the entire keyless works could be as costly as replacing the clone with another clone and you would still be in the sh#%^s

the other problem is that when you move the stem to set it in the positions you expect them to function for those settings will not necessarily function as expected!  I have one new clone that when stem is in winding position, it just rotates forever!  Pull it out in the time setting position  to push back in and it begins to wind?  Setting it in the second position and sometimes the rapid date changes and sometimes nothing happens when in same position.  Put in time setting position and it sets the time ok on some occasions and does nothing on other occasions.  

Now this is one that I bought new.!!  I shiver at the fact of casing it up and need to cut the stem to size, fearing that no matter what position I place stem on, will require removing the whole keyless works and readjusting everything!

what puzzles me is you are saying that prior to replacing the cover plate, the balance wheel was moving but upon replacing it  the balance wheel stops after a few swings.  This is bizarre!  Did you touch the wheel with the octopus looking hands just above the date jumper spring?  Maybe you must have slipped during assembly and did something to the if shock or something near there!!  

I myself have  always had issues with date mechanism to avoid removing DWO.  The datewheel can easily bend or go out of mesh with the connecting areas and give you problems.   That small tail attached on the bottom of the date jumper spring on your 2836 should not matter as you notice that the 2824 does not have it!