When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 Coming Along...

cortopar

Pics at some point. But, so far I've finished aging the case and bezel insert, installed gen NOS bezel pearl, mostly done with CG's. Still debating about a gen 1570 or an ETA 2846. Gen is going to be close to $1200 after servicing vs. < $100 for ETA that no one will ever see (as I'm not trying to sell it as a gen). Waiting on a DRSD dial that is being refinished (has a SRSD dial now).

Anyway, pics later as I mentioned, but just thought I'd share the fun I'm having with my MBW.

Good stuff!

:)

You know... I had contemplated the same thing with my 1665- Do I do a 1570 or go with an ETA? I had both available with the click of a mouse... Just had to pick one and go with it (and pays my money). So, for me, the answer was simple- The ETA 2846 got the nod. Why? Initial cost for one... Cost to service was another consideration. I already have 3 high maintenance calibers in my Daytonas; did another make sense? For me, the answer was no. At least not right now. The ETA does the job just fine. It's robust, accurate and does everything I need it to. Best of all, my 2846 was a 1-1 swap and all of $60 out of pocket.

Perhaps down the road I'll do a 1570, but for the time being, I'm content with my 1665's current powertrain...

184840-6268.jpg

:)

Ahhh... That's the A.Schild (which is actually ETA related). I had two of these- Both different calibers, but both identical in size and date rotation (they would accept genuine datewheels).

Unfortunately, I could not get either to fit correctly- One required quite a bit of backspacing to clear the datewheel as well as position the hole for the stem to enter the keyless works center with the tube. The other had the dial side bridges too high; hence the AS datewheel sat recessed in a channel, and getting the Rolex datewheel attached was a no-go.

So, ultimately, I gave up, and instead got together with arch and kruz to get our own ETA friendly datewheels developed (using my gen wheel as the basis).

Thanks for the suggestions. I have decided to go with the ETA, and ordered it just a few minutes ago. I'm anxiously awaiting the date wheels that Ubi has mentioned.

I also have a gen crystal, crown and tube on the way so the only remaining dilemma is the bracelet. I really kinda like the riveted rep bracelet it's on now, although it's really not as accurate for this watch. If I find a good deal on a vintage 9315, I'll probably go that route.

I'm planning to stick with the MBW hand set unless someone has a reason not to. I can't seem to detect any difference between the rep and gen in this regard.

Thanks again!