When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

some interesting stuff

madasboot

I have seen 'military forgeries' made to sell on eBay as genuine but no ready made military replicas.  Were the watches in the pictures ready made or projects?  I was just wondering.

There used to be a large supply of military watch cases, dials, hands etc for sale at USA NAWCC Marts years ago but most have dried up.  All I have is a nos Elgin military case and dial from back then but never finished it. 

Also have an issued military Hamilton similar to the one in the picture but the dial is unsigned except for the H3 and radio active triangle warning left and right of the dial center.  It has permanent spring bars in the Parkerized stainless steel case instead of regular spring bars. 

The case back has:

WATCH GENERAL PURPOSE

MIL-W-46374B

HAMILTON

6645-00-952-3767

MFG. PART NO. 39988

DLA-400-80-C-1018

JAN 1981

DISPOSE RAD. WASTE

U.S.

The problem is it has a non running 7 jewel Durowe movement with plastic balance jewels.  I am looking for a similar 17 jewel Durowe 7410 movement to put in it without spending much $$.  Some had the 7j movement, some had the 17j movement.

1 hour ago, automatico said:

I have seen 'military forgeries' made to sell on eBay as genuine but no ready made military replicas.  Were the watches in the pictures ready made or projects?  I was just wondering.

The problem is it has a non running 7 jewel Durowe movement with plastic balance jewels.  I am looking for a similar 17 jewel Durowe 7410 movement to put in it without spending much $$.  Some had the 7j movement, some had the 17j movement.

Hi Automatico.

Thank you for posting and for the info.

These are ready mades and imho very well produced.

As far as I have understood - I bought both from a "franken" seller in Saigon - they are produced in Laos, Thailand and Vietnam on small factories relying mostly on Russian and Japanese buyers.

These are not common reps but one can find them with the right contacts...

One can also find a vintage Tdor Red Ranger (like the ones sold as genuine in ebay) or other oddballs like a vintage Jaeger LeCoultre Polaris rep...

The market and the range of reps are quite different and imho much more refined than the known standards of the common sources like Taiwan, China or Korea.

Its a market for collectors and some of these watches are referred as "hand made":)

Unfortunately I cannot be of great assistance with the mvmt you are looking for, but I can ask around and if something surfaces I will surely let you know.

Cheers,

M. 

Edited by madasboot

"Unfortunately I cannot be of great assistance with the mvmt you are looking for, but I can ask around and if something surfaces I will surely let you know."

Thanks for the info.  Those watches look good.

My favorite 1960s through 1970s issued mil-watches are the Benrus models with the one piece case.  I bought a few back when they were $40 or $50 before the prices took off.  They came with manual wind Eta hacking movements and make good everyday watches. 

I have seen a few Durowe movements on eBay in various watch brands but they were $75 or more and still would need to be cleaned and oiled.  For that reason I am looking for a low $$ example, should not be hard to find as there were a lot of them made.  I have quite a few odds and ends watches in my junk/parts box and I might even have a Durowe movement, I just have not taken the time to look.  These movements may show up with a few different brand names stamped on them...Durowe, INT, LACO (Lacher & Co) etc.

LACO is known mainly for military type watches.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, automatico said:

"Unfortunately I cannot be of great assistance with the mvmt you are looking for, but I can ask around and if something surfaces I will surely let you know."

Thanks for the info.  Those watches look good.

My favorite 1960s through 1970s issued mil-watches are the Benrus models with the one piece case.  I bought a few back when they were $40 or $50 before the prices took off.  They came with manual wind Eta hacking movements and make good everyday watches. 

I have seen a few Durowe movements on eBay in various watch brands but they were $75 or more and still would need to be cleaned and oiled.  For that reason I am looking for a low $$ example, should not be hard to find as there were a lot of them made.  I have quite a few odds and ends watches in my junk/parts box and I might even have a Durowe movement, I just have not taken the time to look.  These movements may show up with a few different brand names stamped on them...Durowe, INT, LACO (Lacher & Co) etc.

LACO is known mainly for military type watches.

Hello R.

Thank you for your follow up.

I will try to ask for your Durowe movement with plastic balance jewels next time I hop in Saigon.

There is an old watchsmith, Mr. Le Thi Hung, who owns a small booth located near Ben Tanh Market that may have it.

Lots of parts and vintage watches - some military from the 60´s and 70´s - and he is a wonderful man. 

I cannot identify the mvmt on these watches but the assembly is neat and they are quite reliable.

I can share a couple of pics of the IWC open case...

Best,

M.

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0440.PNG

"I will try to ask for your Durowe movement with plastic balance jewels next time I hop in Saigon."

Thanks but my watch has the 7 jewel movement with plastic balance 'jewels'.  I am looking for a 17 jewel model with all stone jewels.  I'll find one sooner or later but I am taking my time in order to save $$...this is a 'low buck' project.

"I cannot identify the mvmt on these watches but the assembly is neat and they are quite reliable."

The 'IWC' looks like a Miyota (Citizen) going by the overall design and balance shock spring.  Can not read the writing on the winding weight.

The lower two (5517 and 1016 reps) look like etaclones, hard to tell who made them.

On 9/12/2018 at 1:35 AM, automatico said:

The 'IWC' looks like a Miyota (Citizen) going by the overall design and balance shock spring.  Can not read the writing on the winding weight.

The lower two (5517 and 1016 reps) look like etaclones, hard to tell who made them.

Winding weight is engraved International Watch Co.

The mvmts below, according to the watchsmith who serviced both, are swiss but most probably are clones given the source and the price I paid for them in VN.

Next time I travel I will ask to take some pictures of the vitrine and counter.

Thank you again automatico!