When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

eBay 1680 dials?

hanski

Has anyone purchased a dial from eBay user “richview8i8”? They have some 1680 dials up for sale at $148 a piece. 

I haven’t picked apart the details of the graphics but I’m curious about the dial/print quality. Upgrade from stock Cartel? Comparable to...? 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-1680-Submariner-WHITE-LUME-Matte-Black-Refinished-Dial/263894180987?hash=item3d7151a47b:g:nY8AAOSwEyVbfdqh

Also noticed some from “caucacon” for $99. 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Repainted-Rolex-Dial-for-Rolex-Submariner-1680/323439270682?hash=item4b4e7b9b1a:g:W~EAAOSwHt5bM9gc

Insights appreciated.

Seem to be a mixed bag. @alligoat linked to a 1016 dial which looked very nice, then by chance a friend asked me about a listing for a 16800 which was truly terrible. I’m far from the most knowledgeable around here, so if I can see bad coronet, incorrect font, incorrect spacing and the letters of Rolex not even all on the same level, then it is a pretty shabby dial

Study the photos against a genuine dial and make sure you are actually getting what is in the listing photos

Some of these dials aren't bad. But you can be sure that they are all replica dials, there's nothing refinished about them. I don't know if they come from Vietnam or somewhere else over east (China?).

All you can do is look at them closely and if you like them, take a chance. I picked up one a year or so ago and thought it was very nice- now I'm just trying to figure out how to fit it in an MBW case.

The seller is also selling a 1002 with a rep dial in it- making it an Explorer. 

4 minutes ago, alligoat said:

Some of these dials aren't bad. But you can be sure that they are all replica dials, there's nothing refinished about them. I don't know if they come from Vietnam or somewhere else over east (China?).

All you can do is look at them closely and if you like them, take a chance. I picked up one a year or so ago and thought it was very nice- now I'm just trying to figure out how to fit it in an MBW case.

The seller is also selling a 1002 with a rep dial in it- making it an Explorer. 

So I got responses from both sellers. The first, richview8i8, said the dials were "fair" quality. In looking at them compared with the analysis at DRSD and what I can get with Ruby's Watch for a similar price, it doesn't seem worth it. 

On the other hand, caucacon, said the dials were from Vietnam - best quality. For $99, it seems like a reasonable risk to buy one. The layout looks decent enough as a Mark IV 1680 but at $99 it's a good price for a Vietnamese dial - even a good price for a Yuki dial - all of which is better than a stock Cartel. I will let you all know how the quality is once I get it (if I get it...haha, knock on wood). 

And don't worry - there was never a doubt the dials were rep dials. I was just trying to figure out what quality rep dial they were. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mzinski said:

So I got responses from both sellers. The first, richview8i8, said the dials were "fair" quality. In looking at them compared with the analysis at DRSD and what I can get with Ruby's Watch for a similar price, it doesn't seem worth it. 

On the other hand, caucacon, said the dials were from Vietnam - best quality. For $99, it seems like a reasonable risk to buy one. The layout looks decent enough as a Mark IV 1680 but at $99 it's a good price for a Vietnamese dial - even a good price for a Yuki dial - all of which is better than a stock Cartel. I will let you all know how the quality is once I get it (if I get it...haha, knock on wood). 

And don't worry - there was never a doubt the dials were rep dials. I was just trying to figure out what quality rep dial they were. 

Ive been on a hunt for a good mk4-mk5-mk6 dial for a long time now, unfortunately ive seen good dials only from Phong and Ming, but they are pricey = 350 bucks. Almost all vietnamese dials ive seen have flaw that the coronet is too far away from the 12 oclock triangle, unfortunately that will bug you out with time. Also some have really weird serifs on the ROLEX text, you can see it on the second link on the "L".

Edited by Champagnesky

"In looking at them compared with the analysis at DRSD and what I can get with Ruby's Watch for a similar price, it doesn't seem worth it."

I agree.

For $167.80  ($148.00 + $19.80)  I would go with Ruby etc.

Otoh for $99 I would give it a shot.  After all, most legitimate USA dial refinishers will charge $100 +/- for a refinish job done on your dial plate with not as good results.

So I received the 1680 Red Dial from “caucacon” on eBay. 

$99 + $6 shipping. Arrived within 3 days. Transaction is protected by eBay if something went awry. 

Not to worry, the dial is high quality. On par with Ruby’s Watch dials. 

Nice matte texture, precise lume, 1570 dial feet, good DW window, singer stamp on back, 26.5mm diameter, and nice logo/printing. 

I would highly recommend this seller! I mean , for us CONUS folks, this is a steal being local, fast shipping, and half off (or more) other Vietnam dials  

Sure, I clipped the feet and soldered new ones for ETA 2824-2 movement in my Cartel build. Then shaved off .5mm from the diameter to fit the Cartel case. And finally relumed to match my hand set. 

But here are the pictures out of the box: 

IElV3.jpg

IENib.jpg

IEFI2.jpg

IETOd.jpg

IE7xZ.jpg

4 hours ago, MRWOZZA70 said:

A 5513 dial from the other seller Richview8i8... you be the judge! My experience was that I didn't receive the dial photographed for the listing.

Looks good! How is the matte black paint job? I like the finish and texture of the Vietnam ones but not so much the Yuki ones. 

For $40 less, I'm super happy with the caucacon dial. 

Looks good! How is the matte black paint job? I like the finish and texture of the Vietnam ones but not so much the Yuki ones. 

For $40 less, I'm super happy with the caucacon dial. 
I'm not overly impressed with the texture on this one. Understandably it looks a little too freshly finished. But as I don't have any experience altering the dial appearance I'll leave well alone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk