When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An interesting video on the rolex crown on a lathe

horologist

22 hours ago, bobandshawn said:

Nice find. I'm willing to bet it would be just as expensive to have a machinist re-sleeve the thread than to just buy a new used crown. Unless you already have the setup and experience...

@jmb

B

Very valid point!!!!  When noticing that some of the inscription in the video are of Asian origin, this is probably performed in the far East making it most affordable to most Westerners.

Lets bear in mind that as these parts are becoming more and more obsolete, any attempts to save what is readily available would always be a feasible option!!!  Same analogy with obsolete parts made for vintage cars.  This sort of tooling set up will be more common amongst those such as Jmb and other workshops as well.  I notice that professionals usually always end up mimicking what amateurs or enthusiasts pioneer in the first place.  Without overlooking some of the marvels I have seen here from modders and others, I have had work done by Michael Young and others where the magic coming out of their hands runs circles over some professionals.  I believe Michael Young started off as an enthusiast similarly to those who are here!!!!