When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TUDOR 79090 -- Gen or Rep? Help please!

Mapearso

I've found one that is reasonably priced, but I'm not sure if it's gen . The seller claims it is.  The things that seem wrong to me are -- 

*The quality of the dial is poor. I'm not sure if it's a gen that's been re-lumed or it's a rep...
*The bezel insert is a replacement and looks cheap 
*I've yet to see any Tudor sub with a gold datewheel
*The case looks like it's been polished

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance for any help!! 

79090 1.jpg

79090 2.jpg

79090 7.jpg

79090 6.jpg

79090 8.jpg

79090 3.jpg

I don't have a problem with the dial, but it is losing some paint along the edge. Hands are showing corrosion which is typical of Rolex hands in the 80s. The case crown guards appear to have the Submariner droop- similar to the 5513 and 1680 of that period, but could use a better picture of it. Engraving looks fine. The champagne DW is odd- unless it's aged, but otherwise I would think it would be white. I'd figure it as an 80s watch. Might check out this link

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tudor-submariner-a-historical-overview/

Hologramet,

Thank you for the input.  Forgive me but what do you mean by "Shock absorbers are KIF"?  

Also, any thoughts on the date disc?  Every other one I have seen is white, not champagne / gold... 

Finally, any suggestions on what do do for a bracelet?  price of a gen 9315 is almost as much as I'm paying for the watch!! 

Thanks again!! 

KIF is a Rolex designed technology of shock protection system. In the picture above it is identifiable by the shape of the retaining spring on the escape wheel (the round jewel in the top of the picture)

The movement is a gen Tudor...Made by ETA 🤨

"KIF is a Rolex designed technology of shock protection system."

Tip:

If anyone needs KIF parts, look at other brands.  Bulova for one used them in quite a few movements.

Rlx also used Duofix.  It's Ok but it is easy to damage the 'wishbone' shock spring without some practice. 

The 'wishbone' stays in the setting, all you want to do is unhook the 'handle' by gently prying it away from the inner edge of the setting.  Then the jewels will come out.

• 4 months later...

Amazingly informative! Thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have similar issue too with my recently purchased 79090 & 75090, both b41 series and have 26mm dial (I guess it’s interchangeable) and both verified by RSC as gen, however, I have little bit doubt the 79090 dial is original since the white font are not as strong and thick as my 75090. I am really not sure if it’s just different generation of dials like mk1 mk2 or something is wrong.

pic 1-79090 dial
4af51c8ec05719b2fbd0cf2f34a0e552.jpg

Pic 2-75090 dial
7080b8e92d7dbde06e1af48d5c8510e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk