When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A source for Vietnamese Dials and Rolex movements

altesporsche

So for a Dial *like* this she sort of hastily threw out a min order of 500 at $24.95. I imagine she didn’t really think I was serious. I think 500 is a bit absurd. But 200 I can live with and if I’m stuck with inventory for a while I’ll survive. I see the structural supply issue as getting worse not better and I am willing to take a long term view on ideas like this. Apologies again it was a 5513 reference Dial but the price reflects the enamel paint job so not highly relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So for a Dial *like* this she sort of hastily threw out a min order of 500 at $24.95. I imagine she didn’t really think I was serious. I think 500 is a bit absurd. But 200 I can live with and if I’m stuck with inventory for a while I’ll survive. I see the structural supply issue as getting worse not better and I am willing to take a long term view on ideas like this. Apologies again it was a 5513 reference Dial but the price reflects the enamel paint job so not highly relevant.

HR did a single dial for me a couple times. Hope they didnt stop doing that. Been pretty happy with them.

"She has a few that you can pick from that are pretty sad looking."

I too have noticed some of the higher priced dial offerings from the so called  'Premier Dealers" are not too hot.

"When I asked about a nicer (dial) there was a 500 min $24.95 Per."

Probably the same dials with better QC.

My guess is the 'Premier Dealers' and dial makers are all in cahoots and the dial makers sell to them almost exclusively.

"I just don’t think there’s magic to the guys that have the market cornered."

I have a friend in the printing business and he figured it would cost $3000 to $5000 to get started in the dial printing business (dials without applied markers), including 2 or 3 cliché plates but not counting the dial blanks.  He also said the same thing I did...applying the lume is the ONE thing that requires special training and/or practice. 

His estimate was for a high quality manually operated precision pad printer setup...not a low priced unit from eBay.

Not counting the cost of the pad printer, each dial would probably cost $20 to $40 to make if you apply your own lume.  If the dials are good enough to sell for $150 each...there is $$ to be made after paying for the printer.

If a dial has two or more colors of letters/markers it means each dial will have to be printed 2 or 3 times so a high precision pad printer is required.  You will also need an air brush and compressor to paint the dial blanks plus paint, thinner, print ink, and lume material.  If you want 'Singer' Beyeler' etc stamped on the dial blanks, it will require a custom made stamp of some sort.

A dedicated hobbyist could master the pad printing 'art' in a few months...if they were serious about it and have good eye to hand coordination and dexterity.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dawagner said:
On 10/8/2018 at 11:31 PM, Jovanotti said:

HR did a single dial for me a couple times. Hope they didnt stop doing that. Been pretty happy with them.

They still do ... silk screen printing

They have "updated" the price, about $110 for custom printing + $49 for dial

3 hours ago, automatico said:

I too have noticed some of the higher priced dial offerings from the so called  'Premier Dealers" are not too hot.

My guess is the 'Premier Dealers' and dial makers are all in cahoots and the dial makers sell to them almost exclusively.

I have a friend in the printing business and he figured it would cost $3000 to $5000 to get started in the dial printing business (dials without applied markers), including 2 or 3 cliché plates but not counting the dial blanks.  He also said the same thing I did...applying the lume is the ONE thing that requires special training and/or practice. 

His estimate was for a high quality manually operated precision pad printer setup...not a low priced unit from eBay. 

Not counting the cost of the pad printer, each dial would probably cost $20 to $40 to make if you apply your own lume.  If the dials are good enough to sell for $150 each...there is $$ to be made after paying for the printer.

If a dial has two or more colors of letters/markers it means each dial will have to be printed 2 or 3 times so a high precision pad printer is required.  You will also need an air brush and compressor to paint the dial blanks plus paint, thinner, print ink, and lume material.  If you want 'Singer' Beyeler' etc stamped on the dial blanks, it will require a custom made stamp of some sort.

A dedicated hobbyist could master the pad printing 'art' in a few months...if they were serious about it and have good eye to hand coordination and dexterity.

+ 100 and I must agre ... though you don't like Air-Kings ^_^

For some time I've been "studying" the technics with a friend who does his own pad printings (no dials and he already said "no" when I asked).

Though his equipment is "medium grade" he gets really go results, even with multiple colors projects (I'm 100% certain he could print impressive dials if he only agreed to do).

So the more I work with Illustrator and decals, the more I consider pad printing my own dials.

Edited by manodeoro

"+ 100 and I must agree ... though you don't like Air-Kings"

Ha!

I do like AKs and still have a few...5500 type and 14000M/14010M (M = cal 3130).  I gathered the 5500 models up when they were fairly cheap and the 'M's when they were not very popular...plus one lonely 1002, now with a Yuki 'Explorer' dial.

I even have a few replica oversize 36mm AKs from years past with 3-6-9 dials like an Explorer.  I have worn a black dial 36mm AK rep quite a bit and never had anyone notice it was too big, not even rolex types. 

Now genuine AKs have swelled up to 40mm and the 'too big' 3-6-9 Explorers are too small.

This is a very interesting comment. Thank you.

18 hours ago, automatico said:

"+ 100 and I must agree ... though you don't like Air-Kings"

Ha!

I do like AKs and still have a few...5500 type and 14000M/14010M (M = cal 3130).  I gathered the 5500 models up when they were fairly cheap and the 'M's when they were not very popular...plus one lonely 1002, now with a Yuki 'Explorer' dial.

I even have a few replica oversize 36mm AKs from years past with 3-6-9 dials like an Explorer.  I have worn a black dial 36mm AK rep quite a bit and never had anyone notice it was too big, not even rolex types. 

Now genuine AKs have swelled up to 40mm and the 'too big' 3-6-9 Explorers are too small.

That was a joke ... refeering to you post here 

I really like "vintage" Air-Kings ... 14000 and previous models ... first because of their size (my wrist is 6.5) and because they stay "under the radar" even  when patinated and shiny.

I have only 2 cause I'm really new to that game but I consider strating an AKs collection ... 14000 OOTB and my recent 5500 build here 

that still need a lot of casework but I already like it.

Next one will be a 4499 ... I'm already working both on dial design and case and I'm wondering how I'll do about the crown ... without going to Gen I mean. 

So that one could be a long-term project

Then perhaps an older one, 4499 with second at 6:00, or a two-tone 5507

Edited by manodeoro

Fellas ruby is still in action, whatsapp’d her today and she got back to me quickly.  She has some amazing 5517 bezel insterts on her page but has none. 😰 

Fellas ruby is still in action, whatsapp’d her today and she got back to me quickly.  She has some amazing 5517 bezel insterts on her page but has none. 😰 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, altesporsche said:

Ruby is fine, I am in contact on what’s app as well. So brother, amazing 5517 inserts gets my attention, better than Phong’s excellent font printed slightly small than gen?

1 hour ago, Sogeha said:

Ruby is fine, I am in contact on what’s app as well. So brother, amazing 5517 inserts gets my attention, better than Phong’s excellent font printed slightly small than gen?

Yea I’ve never had trouble with her. She’s been good to me. Honestly Phongs is great I have them now in my 5517 and just recently seen Ruby’s but she has none and don’t know when she will have any lol

but I think they are marginally better, the Fonts are larger and reaching more to the edges of the Insert. 

Here are a few photos, wish I could get one to see it in person. The serifs look nearly as good as the $2k low number reps that were done a few years back. 

0C50C9FC-5C9C-4810-B3FE-65D1008D410E.png

F8F63DF7-6FB7-4543-8FA2-4EA534270050.png

3F7077E4-CB40-4624-AAE8-4904EA32F86C.png

23 hours ago, jackflash said:

Yeap, tried to order the 5517 insert from her too. Let’s hope she gets them back in stock again soon. Until then Phong’s will have to do.
51fe98223da6b2bf08db76beda8431e4.jpg

That’s a beauty there mate ! 

Mine is off for a service at tickleshoes spa 😎

The JMB case is amazing ! That’s what I used for my space dweller build.. one that I regret selling lol 

• Like 1