When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A source for Vietnamese Dials and Rolex movements

altesporsche

21 minutes ago, adisuk said:

The price analogy and spending high dollars for a rep build doesn't make any sense. Buy the real watch and you don't loose. My opinion.

I have a lot of Gen watches like a lot of guys here and could essentially buy any Gen I wanted, but it’s not about that. It’s the hobby and the fun of the chase. If you don’t get that then you are in the wrong forum. 

• Like 2

I don't mean any harm...I agree with most, the build is exciting-done plenty myself. Most of my projects lately are to only enhance the original replica by making it look unique. My experience with inserting genuine parts is that I should have never done it because it's disservice to the watch and I always seem to regret it no matter how good it looks-that's the point, to make a rep look gen as possible. I could have just bought a genuine and never regret manipulating any parts. That's just my argument, that I would prefer to see how I can enhance the replica without putting in genuine parts. This is the true craftsmanship in my opinion. This is a very addictive hobby regardless of reps or genuine.

also, does anyone know if raffletimes is still in business-the website appears to be operational.

Generally there’s always a point of no return that you will need to decide on for a build. You could go all in and create a close to gen franken for a keeper. Enjoying the experience of sourcing the parts and building a very personal grail watch. However, don’t expect to get your investment back if you ever decide to sell. You can also get as much enjoyment from a budget build, if not accuracy. When the time comes, they are naturally easier to sell-on.

Btw. Rafflestime is still in business:
http://rafflestime.com

"However, don’t expect to get your investment back if you ever decide to sell."

Sad but True.

Sometimes you can come out better by parting a watch out if it has any high quality parts...Yuki/MBK/Phong, Vn case, Hot Rod dial, fresh swiss ETA etc. 

Here is one of my very few exceptions:

MBK '5512' case with pretty good Yuki dial, rlx 1570, ST bez kit, 'Mary' folded oyster etc.

Movement came from a 1550 gold top OPD with a ratty dial, worth maybe $1700 today.  I paid $600 for it in November 1995.  

The '5512' would probably go for $2500 to $2700 so I would be better off to sell it than the 1550 after sticking it back together.

Not much worry about the '5512' being sold as genuine later on because of the low class laser letters/numbers and poochy CG.

The 1550 case/crown will go for around  $250 (the bezel is solid 14k).

Here is a 1550 OPD for a little bit more than $1700: 

eBay item number  283205181620   :animal_rooster: