When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Servicing a 2836 movement hits a dead end with date mechanism

Timelord

I am no watchmaker, but have attempted to service my own manual movements that do not have the date mechanism. Just over half of them do not run regardless of how clean or well oiled they are, but am happy with the ones that I did manage to get to run for a village idiot like myself

My first service attempt on a 2836 seemed to go well as it was running, until I got to assembling the date mechanism. I was planning to adhere a DWO on the date disk but somehow I messed up with the date mechanism.  I notice that the calendar driving wheel does not move when trying to change the date upon setting the hands past midnight, however the rapid date change works ok.  I know that the calendar driving wheel sits in some kind of a spring underneath where the cam sits.  I got the date unlocking plate and spring ok on the edge of the mechanism without a problem, but no matter how many attempts I made at settling in the calendar driving wheel, it does not go!!!!.  I am even ashamed to see how many scratches I have made on the movement plate itself with the numerous times I attempted, that it looks like as if it has been hit with a railroad pick.

Maybe, there is something that I have missed in the literature of assembling this part but worse still is the lack of information available on this area. 
I have tried to search relentlessly for any tutorials or literature all over the net, on this, but all seem to focus on the 2824 or any non date mechanism which is of no real help.  Any suggestions on where to get information on this regardless of how trivial it seems, is much appreciated with Thanks!!!!

First install these 2 parts as shown. Spring hooked behind the gold lever.IMG_0584.thumb.jpg.72558e5a03852869425a74dd89e56c97.jpgS

Now slide the date indicator driving wheel in and underneath the intermediate driving wheel (small silver wheel at top) Now take your tweezers and insert them into 'U' shaped indent in the gold coloured lever (7 o'clock position on the driving wheel) pull down on the lever and the driving wheel should fall into place, now release the tension on your tweezers.IMG_0583.thumb.jpg.18c1b60ddb68c40e89934bc6ffb6ccea.jpg

Lastly, slide the cover plate in from the right and it will click into the post. Job done!

IMG_0585.thumb.JPG.e31fcf6a1cde014d073d38afa9d3e8e1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, ceejay said:

First install these 2 parts as shown. Spring hooked behind the gold lever.IMG_0584.thumb.jpg.72558e5a03852869425a74dd89e56c97.jpgS

Now slide the date indicator driving wheel in and underneath the intermediate driving wheel (small silver wheel at top) Now take your tweezers and insert them into 'U' shaped indent in the gold coloured lever (7 o'clock position on the driving wheel) pull down on the lever and the driving wheel should fall into place, now release the tension on your tweezers.IMG_0583.thumb.jpg.18c1b60ddb68c40e89934bc6ffb6ccea.jpg

Lastly, slide the cover plate in from the right and it will click into the post. Job done!

IMG_0585.thumb.JPG.e31fcf6a1cde014d073d38afa9d3e8e1.JPG

Wow!!! I could almost cry with joy!!  I am very touched  to acknowledge how you took so much time and effort to go out of your way to give such a detailed  and easy to follow step by step instructions and to photograph them too!!  It must have taken a lot of time as well!  This forum is one of the best fraternity to be part of with such helpful members!!!

I would  vote for this to be In he sticky section of the forum as I am certain that there is probably nothing like this elsewhere in the forum or even on youtube.  I am sure that many others would benefit from this write up .  I was searching for hours on end for any eloquent information regarding the FULL installation of the date mechanism for this movement - & sadly there is not even information on this  for the 2824 which is totally different again!!!!  The best I could find which wasn't directly related to my problem was GenTLe's write up on date disks!

Finally  does it matter what direction the octopus looking hands on the top of the driving wheel are facing????  

Again I am very grateful!!!!!

Edited by Timelord
Accidentally Submitted before finishing
  • Like 1

Thank you for that ceejay, and for your acknowledgement Timelord.

Yes, this place is something special.  We have a lot of depth and a lot of members willing to go the extra mile to help out.  It makes me awfully proud to be part of RWG.  

:tu:

You're very welcome guys.

@Timelord No, it doesn't matter about the orientation of the 

1 hour ago, Timelord said:

octopus looking hands

When you release the tension on the spring, the gold leaver engages with the cam underneath the driving wheel and centres it automatically.

Looks like your taking the correct path in progression, basic manual wind, calendar works then onto automatics.

Make sure you are fully confident in one area before progressing on. 

Biggest mistakes I noticed when I was learning (still am after 5 years of Horology classes!) is students trying more complicated movements before they could confidently do the basics.

Gear train, motion works, keyless works. Nail these & fully understand how they all interact. 

Good luck!

40 minutes ago, ceejay said:

@Timelord

Looks like your taking the correct path in progression, basic manual wind, calendar works then onto automatics.

Biggest mistakes I noticed when I was learning (still am after 5 years of Horology classes!) is students trying more complicated movements before they could confidently do the basics.

Gear train, motion works, keyless works. Nail these & fully understand how they all interact. 

Good luck!

Thank you once again!  

I still believe that most of the movements I have managed to get running after complete disassembly must have been a stroke of luck as I have done the same to identical movements without success!  These are all very basic without the date mechanism.  I always struggle with setting the train bridge in getting the gears to run freely and my other challenge is pallet fork assembly.  I have sheared the pivot heads of  many escape wheels which I have purchased by the dozens because of this reason even when taking the most precautions of precautions.  My favourite movement that boosted my confidence to properly learn was the manual omega caliber 265 which was the very first movement that I was able to get running.  The worst were the eta clones which can truly destroy ones confidence.  Any other movement other than the common eta 28xx are foreign worlds to me.  Thanks again!!

2 hours ago, capice said:

Nice job @ Timelord...that is what this forum is about. Sharing knowledge....thumps up m8

This forum is uniquely special. 

2 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Thank you for that ceejay, and for your acknowledgement Timelord.

Yes, this place is something special.  We have a lot of depth and a lot of members willing to go the extra mile to help out.  It makes me awfully proud to be part of RWG.  

:tu:

I feel very privileged here.  I learnt more here from everyone than I could from any school!! Thanks!

• Like 1

Fully agree,...the best forum for sharing and learning about tinkering with watches....

maybe this site can be of help when servicing/repairing...Mark is a watchsmith and he has a complete course online, also many videos about assembling and disassembling, specific problems ect...I think a lot of us here already know him.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/

18 hours ago, ceejay said:

the correct path in progression, basic manual wind, calendar works then onto automatics.

Great advice!!!!!  

I also give the thumbs up that the tutorial with the photos should be in the sticky thread!!!!  In the past I also struggled to find any tutorials or any information (on watch maintenance and repairs ) on the date mechanism. 

17 hours ago, capice said:

maybe this site can be of help when servicing/repairing...Mark is a watchsmith and he has a complete course online, also many videos about assembling and disassembling, specific problems ect...I think a lot of us here already know him.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/

Yes, Mark has some great videos and has a very welcoming and inspiring nature!!!.  It is obvious that he loves what he does and also loves to share his information with others. 

My favorite video was the one where he restores a military Omega, being one of my first inspirations as I copied step by step when he serviced it.  I had my PC next to me, freezing just about every 3rd frame, while I attempted mine.  It took me well over half a day during our Christmas holidays, but if it wasn't for his comments advising of important tips during the video I would have probably hung up my boots and called it the day.  That movement was a true confidence booster for me as it was purely nuts and bolts and had big screws and parts which were easy to handle without risking  to constantly flick them across the room.  You can see  the video here and believe me it is a true treat and also entertaining to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U0OKPcM3KE