When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can an eta 2834-2 substitute a 2836-2 when day disk is removed?

Timelord

In all my replica submariners, I have noticed that the eta 2836-2 is used in place of the eta 2824 for obvious reasons that a DWO will not work properly in this instance - also because of the seconds wheel pivot being different. 

Has anyone ever used or seen a 2834-2 with a DWO in a replica submariner???  I have never had the privilege to see or disassemble the 2834-2 to analyse if the top anatomy of the mechanism is similar to allow for a DWO, as they both use a day wheel (where one has day wheel on the exterior of the movement and the other on the interior of the calendar wheel). The the height from the movement top to stem aperture is the same  measuring 2.25mm with thickness of 5.2 mm  :play_ball:

Edited by Timelord
Typo errors

The 2834 & 2836 are identical apart from, day ring, date ring (they are reversed) and a spacer ring on the 2834 taking it to 13 ligne (29mm diameter)

Never seen a 2834 used in a rep though. Only ever seen 1 2834 in person.

Edited by ceejay
Doh! moment

I have a 2834-2 in a submariner rep and it's working fine. It's in a 16800 franken with a relumed gen dial and the ST3035 case.

yvK48p.jpg

The movement was in another rep a long time ago and I used the movement for the franken build. I don't know if the day wheel was removed or not because my watchmaker put it together

Just a word of caution!

the 2836-2 has the day wheel in the same planar level as the date calendar wheel, so when the day wheel is removed to allow room for the DWO, the interior edge of the overlay will be suspended higher and not rubbing against anything in the inner area of where the day wheel would originally sit.  The pivot height of the seconds wheel and hands would not be an issue in both 2836-2 and 2834-2 as the were designed to allow for the extra space of the day wheels. This could mislead one to suspect that it would hold true for the 2834-2!  I am not so sure!!

The problem that I would foresee is that in the 2834-2  the day wheel sits above the calendar wheel plane and removal of the day wheel would not necessarily have the same cavity space as for the removal of the day wheel in the 2836-2 as described imn my first paragraph. When the day wheel is removed on the 2834-2, it may have the same setup as the date only eta which is the 2824 which is a no go as DWO would also rub against the coverlate.   Someone can correct me on this, but I would check this first.  I have pulled both 2836-2 & 2834-2 apart and the ebauches of both are the same as nearly all the parts are interchangeable so you can assemble a complete 2836-2 on a 2934-2 main plate using the dayewheel from the 2836-2, which is probably what is seen in the replica especially those that come from the older silix-prime and Aspire models.  I know it sounds confusing but I would stick to the 2836-2 if not 100% sure! Just food for thought!

Edited by horologist

They are identical, nearly. If you remove the day wheel on the 2834-2 the fit will be the same. The day wheel on a 2834-2 is above the date wheel. On a 2836-2 the day wheel is even with the date wheel. It appears to me the cannon pinon is slightly higher on the 2834 giving you a slightly better hand stack.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:30 AM, mymanmatt said:

They are identical, nearly. If you remove the day wheel on the 2834-2 the fit will be the same. The day wheel on a 2834-2 is above the date wheel. On a 2836-2 the day wheel is even with the date wheel. It appears to me the cannon pinon is slightly higher on the 2834 giving you a slightly better hand stack.

Thanks!!!! If I were to place a DWO, would it rub against any of the movement parts of the top plate, since the top DAY wheel is not at the same level as the date wheel?

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, P4GTR said:

2834 is directly interchangeable with 2836 once the day wheel removed.

Thanks also!!!! If I were to put a DAY wheel from an 2836 onto a 2834, there would be room in that area of the movement to accommodate for it since the original day wheel was  above the date wheel ??

One of my longterm builder friend from RWI told me that a lot of 2834 comes stock with H4 wheels / pinion, whereas the majority of 2836-2 come stock with H3 wheels / pinion.

On 10/8/2018 at 2:54 PM, alligoat said:

I have a 2834-2 in a submariner rep and it's working fine. It's in a 16800 franken with a relumed gen dial and the ST3035 case.

yvK48p.jpg

The movement was in another rep a long time ago and I used the movement for the franken build. I don't know if the day wheel was removed or not because my watchmaker put it together

Oh sweeet! it's making me drool, and I am going to do the EXACT build as that (with a jonj480 reshaped startime 3035 case).

Did you use Clark hands for that build?