When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Expensive 1675 Experiment in Laser Welding CG’s

hanski

A “budget” 1675 project is a sadistic thing - the Cartel case as a basis for modifications leaves so many issues for rework, resolution, replacement, and tweaking. The latest in my never-ending endeavor to make this watch 200% genuine has been adding material to the stumpy, odd shaped crown guards. 

I found a local craftsman who would laser weld 316 stainless steel material to the CG’s for me at his hourly rate ($90/hr here in the Pacific Northwest). I gave him detailed drawings indicating where and how much material to add - making sure the material is overbuilt. This was important, I wanted to be able to reshape and cut the material away. 

Here’s what I learned through the process: 

- The color matching and seams of laser welding 316 stainless to the case worked out great. After filing, grinding, sanding, and polishing, I don’t see areas of addition differentiated against the rest of the material. 

- I decided this was a good excuse to install a new tube and 5.3mm crown

- A 5300, 5320, and 5330 tube screws right in to a Cartel case. No retapping required! 

- The 5320 was the best fitting tube when paired with the 5.3mm 530 crown I purchased of eBay (eBay said it was Gen, so it must be)

- I used a 1/4” end mill milling bit on a milling machine to re-bore the crown opening in the crown guards. In my estimating, I thought this would come pretty close to hugging the crown with about .5mm space. I was unfortunately wrong or off in my estimate - I think it created a bit too much space. Next time I would use a slightly smaller end mill bit. Oh, an end mill bit is important since it ends with a flat edge, not angled. This allows the hole to have a flat bottom. 

- I notice the location of the tube is lower than ten on a Cartel case. This means not matter what CG reshaping done, the crown will never, ever sit as high as a ten does. Unless…I laser weld the tube hole, re-drill, re-tap…no, no, no just buy a damn Vietnam case if you’re about to go through all that. 

- I’m very satisfied with the shape and thickness of the CG’s otherwise. 

Well, that’s it for now - I’m not shelling out more money to re-laser weld and re-mill the crown opening. I’m going to enjoy it as is - a 199% gen, heavily reworked Cartel 1675. 

Here’s some pics, thanks for looking! 

czJoR.jpg

czymZ.jpg

czUWg.jpg

czRha.jpg

czkmG.jpg

czMRy.jpg

cz2oq.jpg

czPp6.jpg

czw70.jpg

czgmr.jpg

cz8RF.jpg

czhpo.jpg

czSwI.jpg

czd7L.jpg

Fantastic work.

Most 1675 reps look like shit because the crown guards are so blatantly wrong looking. This is NICE. They're supposed to be "boxy" like this.

PS: Funny that the rep factories can never make them look even remotely like the gen but this quartz homage has nice 1675 cg's, haha.

8158rfAytnL._UX522_.jpg