When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a 5513 personally of original parts

Jovi75

You need 4 parts for the bezel assembly
crystal retaining ring
flat tension spring
bezel
bezel insert
Of course you'll also need a T-19 crystal.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Rotating-Bezel-Retainer-Spring-Insert-For-Rolex-5513-1680/113303777563?hash=item1a616e711b:g:zH8AAOSwAata25R0
This is an aftermarket bezel assembly, but the bezel insert isn't very good.
Also, your case may not work with the correct aftermarket parts- it appears to have a lip which means it had a non-standard bezel assembly (meaning a Chinese rep assembly).
You need to find a better case- check out Yuki watch, Ruby's watch, or Phong (Jewelryandwatch.com).
And remember, you are undertaking an expensive project! Good luck!

Thanks

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

@Nanuq- the dial is ok- Rolex started with the white gold surrounds around 1984 until the end of the run- 1988 or so when the 14060 came in. 

Ah well that explains it. In my world, no real Rolex exists after 1974.
  • Like 2

"Ah well that explains it.  In my world, no real Rolex exists after 1974.''

+1  What he said.

Sapphire, sel, crockery bez inserts, and Fi-Shock wire stretcher clasps killed them for me.

If it ain't rattly, it ain't a rolley.

"Pardon me sir, is that a rolex?"

"No, but good guess."

"What is it if I may ask?"

"It's a genuine Invictex!"

Prototype oys lock clasp...  

Image result for fi-shock fence wire stretcher

• Like 3

So not that bad, even if it's still too much for such a case IMHO.
I have a bezel assembly from watchman408 (alligoat provided a link some post upper).
The insert is definitely not really good but the bezel assembly is OK and works perfectly.
If you want to chez before ordering one I can take some pics of the one I have and tell you the dimensions.
That way you can check if your case can take such a bezel assembly (I don't think so but ... you never know).
What could be interesting is to measure :
1 - exterior diameter of the rehaut on your case
2 - dial opening (inside smallest diameter of the rehaut) on your case
3 - overall diameter on your dial
With those infos you can check is your case can take your dial and if it can take, with some lathe work, the aftermarket 5513 bezel assembly.

Big man may you send to me the measure of your case to be sure that it’s good mine ?.

When you can ....no hurry .... thanks

9 hours ago, Jovi75 said:

Big man may you send to me the measure of your case to be sure that it’s good mine ?.

When you can ....no hurry .... thanks

I don't have a 5513 case 😕  BUT I have a 5513 bezel assembly 😊 on my A/6538 so I will disassemble, take measurements and post it there.

Probably today cause it's Saturday so I have some time.

BTW : I'm only 5'7" so "big man" is not really appropriate 😉 though I really prefer that than "shorty" 😂

• Like 1

Case neck OD and crystal retaining ring ID sizes are in the sticky 'Building an MBW sub' at the top of the rlx section...scroll down to 'Note 10-6-16'.  The sizes listed are also the same for genuine. 

The crystal should be a light finger press fit on the case neck.  It should not have any side motion and it should not be too tight.  You should be able to turn it on the case neck but it should not fall off when turned upside down.

Besides GS crystals, I have also had good luck with Clark 19 crystals if you like higher domes.

Many aftmkt crystals can be 'in spec' or 'out of spec' so each one has to be tried to see if it feels right when pressing the crystal ring down over it after it has been mounted on the case. 

As for 'the feel'...it depends on the type of press used and how many you have done.  It takes a little practice. 

https://rwg.cc/topic/188536-loose-bezel-fix/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, automatico said:

"Ah well that explains it.  In my world, no real Rolex exists after 1974.''

+1  What he said.

Sapphire, sel, crockery bez inserts, and Fi-Shock wire stretcher clasps killed them for me.

If it ain't rattly, it ain't a rolley.

"Pardon me sir, is that a rolex?"

"No, but good guess."

"What is it if I may ask?"

"It's a genuine Invictex!"

Prototype oys lock clasp...  

Image result for fi-shock fence wire stretcher

I actually have one of those and it gets good use.  But, I won't bust your bubble by telling you what it is used for...  :D

Case neck OD and crystal retaining ring ID sizes are in the sticky 'Building an MBW sub' at the top of the rlx section...scroll down to 'Note 10-6-16'.  The sizes listed are also the same for genuine. 
The crystal should be a light finger press fit on the case neck.  It should not have any side motion and it should not be too tight.  You should be able to turn it on the case neck but it should not fall off when turned upside down.
Besides GS crystals, I have also had good luck with Clark 19 crystals if you like higher domes.

Many aftmkt crystals can be 'in spec' or 'out of spec' so each one has to be tried to see if it feels right when pressing the crystal ring down over it after it has been mounted on the case. 
As for 'the feel'...it depends on the type of press used and how many you have done.  It takes a little practice. 

https://rwg.cc/topic/188536-loose-bezel-fix/

N1

Thanks

"But, I won't bust your bubble by telling you what it is used for..."

Ha!

It's a fence stretcher.

Used to have a tractor (Ford 8N), horse, cow or two.

Plus a goat or two, a few chickens...and fences.

'fore you wus born.  :animal_rooster:

Then 'The City' took us in...

They widened the road.

Tore our gates/fences down, and banned all 'livestock'.

So we tore the chicken house down, built a house in its place, and lived in it almost 20 years.

All we have now are scuppernogs, fish, frogs, and skeeters.

Mostly skeeters.

• Like 1

Hi guys I hope you fine.... first question of the day ....
The right tube screw in the case is m3x0,35 right ?...

2 ‘ question ....
I’ve measured my case internal and plexi
Between 30,63 mm - 28,99mm
Is it good ?.

I’d like to add the photos but tap says max 1 photo

ba8173d0005bef7c93a18b97d6eb88a9.jpgab1827fc7b59aa3b12e5e8f4062d90ca.jpg

can I ask you why after everyone has provided you feedback on the rubbish case, are you still using it for a project?

Looking that the retainer / rehaut, it doesnt appear to be one suitable for a plexi - that looks more designed for a sapphire. Google what a genuine 5513 case looks like and you will see what i'm referring to.

Why don't you buy a cartel 5513? the case is constructed similar to a genuine watch and not expensive. It will also come with hands and dial which you could recycle.

can I ask you why after everyone has provided you feedback on the rubbish case, are you still using it for a project?

Looking that the retainer / rehaut, it doesnt appear to be one suitable for a plexi - that looks more designed for a sapphire. Google what a genuine 5513 case looks like and you will see what i'm referring to.

Why don't you buy a cartel 5513? the case is constructed similar to a genuine watch and not expensive. It will also come with hands and dial which you could recycle.

I’manage a workshop of mec.machining.... so before to change it... I’d like to modify the case I have...
Otherwise I’ll change it ...
Ok, ok, i know I’m mad .

1 hour ago, Jovi75 said:

I’manage a workshop of mec.machining.... so before to change it... I’d like to modify the case I have...
Otherwise I’ll change it emoji848.png...
Ok, ok, i know I’m mad emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png.

ok but I think alot of pain for not much gain? The cartel watch is only US$120 plus shipping. You can case, bezel, and bracelet....

Anyway good luck with it all 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovi75 said:

Otherwise I’ll change it emoji848.png...
Ok, ok, i know I’m mad emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png.

I'm so sorry ... I forgot to post the pics of my 5513 bezel assembly

So here are the Tropic and bezel parts in the order they should come OVER the rehaut of the case :

1 - Tropic

2 - retaining ring

3 - washer (please no comment about the crazy shape guys 😀 I like my bezels really tight)

4 - bezel

kcZbA.jpg

Here is the bezel mounted over the Tropic

kUBlT.jpg

And here is the inner diameter of the Tropic ... more or less 28mm

kc6qQ.jpg

So, considering the inner diameter of your rehaut is more or less 28.8mm as you showed here 

You must forget about reworking your case to the right dimensions.

The only way to achieve that would be to do as I did to modd my Silix 6538 case in a gen specs A/6538 :

shave the rehaut of your case on a lathe

- build a custom rehaut

- press it on the case

That was THE way for me as the Silx case, apart from the rehaut, was really good compared to a gen.

But your case is 50 to 70% wrong 😉 so forget about reworking it and buy a Cartel watch as @marrickvilleboy wrote and use the case as a start.

54 minutes ago, Jovi75 said:

Do you have a link ?.
Now I’m eagger

There's no link IMHO.

Just contact the TDs here and ask them for a Cartel 5513 ... then see what they offer, compare the prices and make your choice.

• Like 1