When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a 5513 personally of original parts

Jovi75

80d126efd3221c61c010332264ae2450.jpg
This is the case i bought d6e532822b24cabb199727f903a1ab70.jpg7534c3e14a6ac0dad38653f3ba5f375e.jpg

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

This is the dial restored i boughta9f154890296d4d94374873f6fba820f.jpg7d3dff1d00d038c8952077d361262be8.jpg

3c74fff951854058a156a66c65c747e6.jpg

These are the 2 crowns i’ve bought

This is the tube 101df9b1869e13540a076002b87537b0.jpg57d390d1baadef421066f96534003504.jpg

This is the rivet bracelet c790dc7ecad12b69167b3f35f3d71b88.jpg94c5dc6bcd5d3746fd11f7e332109547.jpg932e5e58924e7398e49ced530ce82246.jpgc3d2fb19274b4cc27a73a9c52af112d4.jpg

Ends

1520 Rolex movement with automatic module missing to restoreef2f426591ea92a99eee7344ec502193.jpg28603151a165560e2d6e7c49ab5b9b85.jpg

26fc716427a93512ac0f7007803a6876.jpghands

This is my challenge... i’m doing it cause i’ve an eye ill... so i have to keep it in exercise..
I miss some parts....
Bezel ...grey complete
Back case crystal

And i have a plexi but it seems wrong

For any suggestions write !!!

Bongi

You need 4 parts for the bezel assembly

crystal retaining ring

flat tension spring

bezel

bezel insert

Of course you'll also need a T-19 crystal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Rotating-Bezel-Retainer-Spring-Insert-For-Rolex-5513-1680/113303777563?hash=item1a616e711b:g:zH8AAOSwAata25R0

This is an aftermarket bezel assembly, but the bezel insert isn't very good.

Also, your case may not work with the correct aftermarket parts- it appears to have a lip which means it had a non-standard bezel assembly (meaning a Chinese rep assembly).

You need to find a better case- check out Yuki watch, Ruby's watch, or Phong (Jewelryandwatch.com).

And remember, you are undertaking an expensive project! Good luck!

• Like 3

It would be best to find a gen spec case first and then get the other parts you need.

I'm not sure how good Yuki's cases are. check them out, ask around

Ruby appears to be ok, but check out reviews, etc.

Phong is good but expensive.

Minh Quy over in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh city now days) may also have cases- expensive also.

The Vietnam cases are probably the best.

• Like 1

Might want to get that 1520 movement looked at. On second look, some of those movement parts look pretty rough. With parts tough to get, it might not be worth repairing, 1520 parts can be expensive. You know Rolex doesn't make those parts anymore! And of course they frown on our replica hobby.

• Like 1

"I'm not sure how good Yuki's cases are. check them out, ask around."

The two cases (5512/5513) I got from Yuki in May 2014 were as good as any I have seen.  They are no longer shown on their website but a few other sellers will have similar cases.  Read in the rolex section to see who has what. 

As for 1520 parts...almost all the parts are the same for 1520, 1530, 1560, 1570 except for the escapement parts.

Escapement = balance wheel, hairspring, pallet fork, escape wheel, and a few others.  Get a rolex parts list for 1530 base movements or for the 1520 and see what you need.  The 1530 was the first of the series so all of the similar movements that followed are called 1530 base movements..

1530 base movements = all the movements above + date, day-date, anti-magnetic, and GMT models with the same 1530 base movement

If your balance wheel, hairspring etc is damaged, you will have to use 1520 replacement parts because although the main plates are similar you will can use only 1520 escapement parts. 

1520 = non chronometer with flat hairspring

1570 = chronometer with Breguet (overcoil) hairspring

Learning about movements is slow, dull going but it can save you a lot of $$ and headaches. 

The more you know, the less it will cost.  Most of the time.

Learn all you can before jumping back into the project.

Believe it or not many RWG members worked on genuine name brand watches before getting into replicas and Frankensteins.

Why would anyone need a head start?

Because replicas and Frankensteins are harder to work with.   :hammer:

• Like 2

N1 thanks

Reading what alligoat, automatico and hologramet, all really seasoned members, have written here ... may I suggest you to stop buying so called gen parts (which are in fact aftermarket), put everything aside, read a lot, learn and then go back to the workbench ?

It will help you saving money (at least not lise any) and get a nice and decent 5513 at the end of the watch.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

Buying "gen" is rarely motivated unless the price is really good.

Replica items from either China or Vietnam have attained such high quality standards nowadays that I find it hard to justify making a Genenstein-Franken. If you want-gen-gen-gen. Buy gen. It will in the end still be a fake watch, non grata at Rolex Geneva. So why not invest in "new" aftermarket parts worth the price?

• Like 1

I can't say if it's my phone or your pic but I really don't see any detail.
Could you please put another pic, really close-up and with a better focus ?

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

BTW ... I don't want to be intrusive but would you mind telling us where you bought your case and the range of price ?

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jovi75 said:

I purchased it used for 90€...

So not that bad, even if it's still too much for such a case IMHO.

I have a bezel assembly from watchman408 (alligoat provided a link some post upper).

The insert is definitely not really good but the bezel assembly is OK and works perfectly.

If you want to chez before ordering one I can take some pics of the one I have and tell you the dimensions.

That way you can check if your case can take such a bezel assembly (I don't think so but ... you never know).

What could be interesting is to measure :

1 - exterior diameter of the rehaut on your case

2 - dial opening (inside smallest diameter of the rehaut) on your case

3 - overall diameter on your dial

With those infos you can check is your case can take your dial and if it can take, with some lathe work, the aftermarket 5513 bezel assembly.

Jovi75, you attracted the interest of some of the strongest builders here, or anywhere. These guys have forgotten more than most guys will ever learn about vintage Rolex. So pay close attention to everything they tell you.

You have some okay parts but you're going to hate your case before this is over. If it's not sized to accept gen parts, you're going to waste more on crap parts that don't fit, than you would spend to just get a good case.

Then look at your dial. No 5513 dial has metal surrounds on the indexes.

You want a good bezel and insert... that won't fit what you have now.

Like the man said, stop spending money and READ. We have solved all these problems here and the information is at your fingers.

When you have read everything and understand it, then we will take the next steps to help you complete a perfect project.

• Like 2

It’s really a pleasure i know i have choosen the best forum wordwilde for watch tech.
I’m a mec eng that usually restores car & sportbikes !!!.
All your information are really accepted i know i’m a neofita in this fiele.

Thanks to all
Here are some of my restored items .... but watches are really small