When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The *New* N00b Factory 116520 from Trusty - fully functioning

508-Fanatic

The number above represents a benchmark goal in the rep world, in my opinion... 

I've been through at least 2-3 iterations of this watch, always with flaws, too fat, too explodey, etc. 

I tried one of the ARF 904L ceramic daytona's with faux-chrono's until a buddy of mine was like "dude how come your flash watch don't work"

Lol... embarrassing.

What do we think of this? The reliability and functionality?  Can anyone share any insights... the price is steep if it's something that doesn't deliver

http://www.trustytime.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=352&products_id=19155

ROLDYT0245A - Daytona 116520 SS/SS Black 904L Noob Asia 4130 Mod

ROLDYT0245A - Daytona 116520 SS/SS Black 904L Noob Asia 4130 Mod

7 hours ago, godkiller said:

Thanks! Same steep price though, what do you know of rotor noise (whizz) and reliability?

the quality of deco plates means nothing to me - I’ve held a gen 4130 movement in my hand and it’s a work of art, no rep deco plate will fool anyone (and I’m not looking to fool anyone with unexposed internals)

3 hours ago, 508-Fanatic said:

Thanks! Same steep price though, what do you know of rotor noise (whizz) and reliability?

the quality of deco plates means nothing to me - I’ve held a gen 4130 movement in my hand and it’s a work of art, no rep deco plate will fool anyone (and I’m not looking to fool anyone with unexposed internals)

assuming that you mean fake deco plates that conceal a generic movement (e.g. ARF + deco plate + modified 7750), the noob sa4130 doesn't use deco plates - it's literally a 1:1 clone 4130 movement. On RWI, misiekped has already successfully swapped in a gen balance.

i just ordered one. I will keep you updated on the rotor noise. As for the reliability so far, the feedback appears to be extremely positive on RWI. Members from there reported excellent timekeeping and no faults when playing around with the chrono

6 hours ago, godkiller said:

assuming that you mean fake deco plates that conceal a generic movement (e.g. ARF + deco plate + modified 7750), the noob sa4130 doesn't use deco plates - it's literally a 1:1 clone 4130 movement. On RWI, misiekped has already successfully swapped in a gen balance.

i just ordered one. I will keep you updated on the rotor noise. As for the reliability so far, the feedback appears to be extremely positive on RWI. Members from there reported excellent timekeeping and no faults when playing around with the chrono

Seriously? I just assumed that like every other maker they were claiming "1:1" based on the deco plates! This is huge, how come nobody on here is talking about this?

On 10/25/2018 at 4:03 AM, 508-Fanatic said:

M - what would you say about reliability?

I've personally not yet had one on my bench yet, but have one on its way for me to take a look at.  Its still early stages from what I can tell, but early reports from owners are good thus far.

Reliability on the new noob is fine, lots in the wild now and no horror stories.

Dial on the steel version is a joke, completely wrong. Bezel isn't great either.

Dial on the ceramic is better in terms of the ROLEX spacing but the Subdials are too fat. Once seen you cannot unsee. Bezel is poor compared to the ARF as well.

For a Franken project it isn't going to be cheap. The fact noob have a functioning thin watch is pushing the price of gen daytona parts up, certainly on the steel model, on the ceramic forget it, gen parts are impossible to find.

A good alternative is buy the noob and if you can get hold of an ARF bezel insert and dial do that. Even the BP dial is miles better. Problem is both BP and ARF dials are a fraction too thick so will need to be shaved in order to fit the noob case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ssouthall6 said:

Reliability on the new noob is fine, lots in the wild now and no horror stories.

Dial on the steel version is a joke, completely wrong. Bezel isn't great either.

Dial on the ceramic is better in terms of the ROLEX spacing but the Subdials are too fat. Once seen you cannot unsee. Bezel is poor compared to the ARF as well.

For a Franken project it isn't going to be cheap. The fact noob have a functioning thin watch is pushing the price of gen daytona parts up, certainly on the steel model, on the ceramic forget it, gen parts are impossible to find.

A good alternative is buy the noob and if you can get hold of an ARF bezel insert and dial do that. Even the BP dial is miles better. Problem is both BP and ARF dials are a fraction too thick so will need to be shaved in order to fit the noob case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great info! Thanks

I figure a white dial SS SA4130 project will run about $4,000 all said and done with a nice everest strap and semi-franken'd movement with gen dial, pushers, hands, and bezel.

Well within reason considering cost of gen...but is it worth it over all? I guess that's in the eye of the beholder

IMO the bigger issue with the Noob 4130 watches is the case shape. The lugs' tear drop profile is not as pronounced as it should be. For some reason, without how anal folks in our hobby are, few people talk about this.

I've had mine for two months now and absolutely love it. It keeps +-0 seconds over the course of a week. I was thinking about making a franken with mine, but have decided I am very content with it as-is.

5 hours ago, Revere said:

IMO the bigger issue with the Noob 4130 watches is the case shape. The lugs' tear drop profile is not as pronounced as it should be. For some reason, without how anal folks in our hobby are, few people talk about this.

I've had mine for two months now and absolutely love it. It keeps +-0 seconds over the course of a week. I was thinking about making a franken with mine, but have decided I am very content with it as-is.

that would be something one of our great case-shapers could readily adjust for a reasonable price

The black dial is one of the worst dials I have ever seen on a Daytona. Look how thick those subdials are! 🙈

swap in an ARF dial and bezel and then you’ve got something. That’s my plan. Next step would be Gen dial, hands and bezel. 

Dizzy. 

On 10/22/2018 at 1:42 PM, pompompurin said:

A rare example of someone posting actual links! Thank you. This is super-helpful as it shows me what member think are worth buyer. Also, the trusted dealers sections URLs are mostly dead. Thank you for posting so I can see some current URLs.

13 hours ago, Timelord said:

And,.....,....... What is the attraction???  Especially at that price??   I wished I could sell ice to Eskimos!!  Give me the old noobmariner with the traditional eta any-day!!!:) !

Here is the attraction!

On 10/24/2018 at 11:25 AM, pompompurin said:

The SA4130 movement's chronograph functionality is not the only spotlight of the watch:
1. The SA4130 movement is compatible with genuine parts for franken builds / modding. Therefore, there is no need to cut off the genuine dial's feet or modify the wheels / cannon pinion (to make the movement accept genuine hands).
2. The SA4130 movement has the right thickness, unlike the following movements: Asian 7750 sec. @6 or the well-revered ARF 116520 (which has a slightly-more bulbous caseback to accommodate those decorative plates).
3. The SA4130 movement has the correct crown / stem / tube height like genuine, unlike the following movements: Asian 7750 sec. @6, the well-revered ARF 116520 (which has a higher crown height, ruining the crownguard shape when you look at it from the side), and JF 23j faux chrono movement (the crown height is too low and it affects the crownguard shape as well).
4. The SA4130 movement's pusher is made to gen-spec and this influences the aesthetics of the pusher location on the case, unlike the ARF 116520 V1 which originally had stubby pushers.
5. Modders, owners, and watchsmiths on RWI have praised the quality and reliability of the movement. As previously mentioned by Tickleshoes, he noted that even the quality of the reverse wheels is top-notch and manufactured like its genuine counterpart.

In a nutshell, the development of the SA4130 movement to be a 1:1 clone (of the genuine equivalent) not only brings us chronography functionality (like gen), but it also influences the aesthetic and construction of the case shape, as well as the compatibility of genuine parts for modders and enthusiasts.

Also, it doesn't hurt to own something different and unique from the current rep offering? I mean, NOOB CLONED A FREAKIN' COLUMN WHEEL CHRONOGRAPH MOVEMENT!!! If you look at the technical aspects and intricacies of the 4130 movement, then $658 is just a small price to pay for such a feat with the above-mentioned advantages.

• 3 weeks later...