When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Used or unused kit case for 5513

Jovi75

On 11/1/2018 at 12:33 PM, Jovi75 said:

Hi guys....

I’m looking for a good case cause I’ve started a new project for building a 5513 with original dial & movement.

If anybody has an unused case kit to sell ...write to me a pm !!!.

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngjovi

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

i recommend using rubyswatch 5513 cases!

those cases are made to accept gen 1520 movement

cartel case and MBW case won't take a gen 1520 movement out-of-the-box: for starters, the cartel case and mbw case have different crown/stem/tube height to a gen case.

• Like 1

i recommend using rubyswatch 5513 cases!

those cases are made to accept gen 1520 movement

cartel case and MBW case won't take a gen 1520 movement out-of-the-box: for starters, the cartel case and mbw case have different crown/stem/tube height to a gen case.

Thankkkkkkkk you

"cartel case and MBW case won't take a gen 1520 movement out-of-the-box: for starters, the cartel case and mbw case have different crown/stem/tube height to a gen case."

MBK cases will accept a genuine rlx 1575 date movement but the dial window is machined for a 26.0mm 55xx dial so it is in reality a 1680 case with a dial window machined for a 55xx dial.  It is not difficult to open the dial window up to 26.5mm if needed.  The crown position is basically the same as on a genuine 1680, not a 55xx, that is why it looks wrong.  To use a 1520, 1530, 1560, 1570 you will have to use some 1575 date parts to position the movement correctly in the case. 

Some cartel cases will accept a rlx 15xx movement, many will not.  For example, most 55xx and 1680 cases from 'Paul' (Abay) will accept a rlx 15xx date movement and the dial window is 26.5mm same as rlx 1680.

Rule of thumb - a case made for an ETA 2824 will usually accept a rlx 1520, 1570 etc no date mvt...a case made for an ETA 2836 will usually accept a rlx 15xx date movement providing the inside diameter of the case is big enough and the dial window is the right size.

For more details, see "Building an MBW sub" in the sticky above the rlx section.

Jovi75...

Good luck!  I know it is not easy putting one of these projects together but the more you can learn, the easier it will get.

Experience IS the best teacher...but it is also the most expensive.

• Like 2

"cartel case and MBW case won't take a gen 1520 movement out-of-the-box: for starters, the cartel case and mbw case have different crown/stem/tube height to a gen case."

MBK cases will accept a genuine rlx 1575 date movement but the dial window is machined for a 26.0mm 55xx dial so it is in reality a 1680 case with a dial window machined for a 55xx dial.  It is not difficult to open the dial window up to 26.5mm if needed.  The crown position is basically the same as on a genuine 1680, not a 55xx, that is why it looks wrong.  To use a 1520, 1530, 1560, 1570 you will have to use some 1575 date parts to position the movement correctly in the case. 

Some cartel cases will accept a rlx 15xx movement, many will not.  For example, most 55xx and 1680 cases from 'Paul' (Abay) will accept a rlx 15xx date movement and the dial window is 26.5mm same as rlx 1680.
Rule of thumb - a case made for an ETA 2824 will usually accept a rlx 1520, 1570 etc no date mvt...a case made for an ETA 2836 will usually accept a rlx 15xx date movement providing the inside diameter of the case is big enough and the dial window is the right size.

For more details, see "Building an MBW sub" in the sticky above the rlx section.

Jovi75...
Good luck!  I know it is not easy putting one of these projects together but the more you can learn, the easier it will get.
Experience IS the best teacher...but it is also the most expensive.

N1

4 hours ago, automatico said:

May I ask where do you source those 2824-2 rolex 1680 cases?

I have been looking for one that takes 15xx date movement (for a budget build) as it should assumably have a gen crown/stem/tune height position as well. Thanks!

Edited by pompompurin

"May I ask where do you source those 2824-2 rolex 1680 cases?"

The 1680 cases mentioned above are all for rlx 15xx date size movements or ETA 2836.  I can not remember seeing any vintage rlx 1680 type cases made for Eta 2824.  All the vintage type cases In my experience were made for ETA 2836 or DG/NN 2813 type movements.

ETA 2824 movements also have lower canon pinions, hour wheels, and sweep second posts and this can cause the hands to be too close to the dial on many projects.

Otoh if you made a typo and meant to say:  "where do you source those 2836-2 rolex 1680 cases",  the 'Paul' (Abay) cases have been gone from the market for 10 years.  A few members may have one they might sell.   

Be sure to read up on them because although they have the correct case tube threads and will accept oem crystals and bezels, the case back gasket is in the case, not in the case back like genuine watches.  The crown guards need work and the lug holes need to be drilled out too.

"I have been looking for one that takes 15xx date movement (for a budget build) as it should assumably have a gen crown/stem/tune height position as well."

As stated above, most cases that will accept an ETA 2836 will accept a rlx 15xx date movement...not a no date movement.  Imho the crown position is a very minor consideration especially on a budget project.  Very few notice the crown position.

• Like 1