When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DocThors "one watch a day" thread

docthor

Hey folks,

it's been a while since my last post here.

But back I am and while I was strolling through my watch pics a few days ago I thought it could be nice to have a thread where I (and you of course...feel free to comment and/or participate) post a pic of one of my watches and a short story about it.

I bet I'm not the only who can tell a short (or sometimes a longer) story to the watches one has and had.

So for the first watch/day I start with the watch I think I miss most of the ones I had...

A Seiko "The great blue perpetual SLT063P1".

The first time I saw that watch I was immediately amazed of the blue. It changes with every angle from a very blueish blue to dark grey and from some angles almost black. But when I had it on my wrist it felt wayyyy to small for me so after only a few hours I sold her.

Few month later my liking turned to smaller watches and I realized that "The great blue" was the ideal watch for me, so I tried to find one. But...they were rare as hens teeth and still are. After an almost endless search I found one in an unbelievable mint condition.

But silly me sold her again a year later or so...thought my "Seikotime" was over and I was building an Omega collection...well...silly young me...

img_2123r8eq4.jpg

img_2124tqi2h.jpg

img_21974ieg5.jpg

I'd love to hear about your watches...and to see of course ;)

• Like 1

Haha, great story. I have finally found the ‘right’ size for me 40-42mm. So I know what you mean by too big/small. Did you secure another, or are you going to? 

Psssst (there’s one on eBay at the moment). 

I know, I know ;)

I'd love to buy her even though I'm pretty sure that I won't wear her that much. But the asked price is ridiculous and I can't afford a 600€ watch atm unfortunately, especially when it's going to be one for the box collection...maybe one day :)

I can't post any pictures, but I think you will find this amusing. It's a true story. In 1985 my bookie ( yes I used to bet football every week) called me on a tuesday. He said he took a big hit the weekend before and needed $3500. He had his double quick day-date and could I buy it from him. I said yes and sent my sec to the bank to get the cash, and he sent his runner with the watch at the same time. The deal was made, and about 10 mins later my bookie called to say he found the money and didn't need to sell the watch. What would you do?  I told him I was sorry, but the deal is done. I had to find another bookie. Needless to say I loved the watch.

6 hours ago, mymanmatt said:

I can't post any pictures, but I think you will find this amusing. It's a true story. In 1985 my bookie ( yes I used to bet football every week) called me on a tuesday. He said he took a big hit the weekend before and needed $3500. He had his double quick day-date and could I buy it from him. I said yes and sent my sec to the bank to get the cash, and he sent his runner with the watch at the same time. The deal was made, and about 10 mins later my bookie called to say he found the money and didn't need to sell the watch. What would you do?  I told him I was sorry, but the deal is done. I had to find another bookie. Needless to say I loved the watch.

Yepp...you are right...love that story. Do you still have that watch?

My watch of the day today is (or better are) my gen Omega Big Pumpkin and her black sister (sold).

Usually I'm not that deep into "colorful" watches but when I saw the Big Pumpkin for sale back in 2009 I felt the urge to get it. I traded ( 'nother silly me story...coming up tomorrow) my Tudor 79260 for it and the day I got it felt like this watch was just made for me. It was the first time since 10 years that I wore a watch every day no matter if she fits the colors of my dress.

And so it happened that I still wore that Pumpkin when my second son (third child of four) was born. So this watch is meant to be the watch my son is getting from me once I feel he's mature enough for it (I have watches for my other kids too).

img_53001oe5h.jpg

• Like 1

Sold it about 10 years ago. It is actually what got me started in the business. I had it about a year and it just stopped. Rolex was in New York then, not Dallas where I am. I called them and they said a service starts at $300 and at least 90 days. WHAT!!!  To shorten a long story, my jeweler friend told me where to buy a case back opener set. I did, and when I took the back off, I saw a screw had come out of the balance bridge and was laying loose. I owned a paint and body shop, and in keeping with the attitude of most body men, I felt I could fix anything LOL. Gently I put the screw in, and it started running again. I thought to myself, HELL YES, I CAN FIX ANYTHING!!!!  LOL. It did peak my interest, and I was off and running to learn more about watches. I still use that same Bergeon case back opener today. I could also buy swiss 2834-2 and 2824-2 from a supply house in Dallas. If I bought at least 3 at a time, the price was $25.00 each. My how times have changed. Here is another interesting foot note. If I needed a crown, a date or day wheel, a stem or anything else, I could call New York, and they would send it to me. Quite a different story today.