When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nautilus 5711 (PF) - step by step account of the purchase with links and pictures...

Faster897

@Faster897 Don't be discouraged by the lack of response to your helpful attempt at this guide. It is appreciated a lot more than you know. Most people here cruise around checking out all the new stuff, and don't take the time to comment. That doesn't mean it's not helpful buddy.

Remember these are fakes. They're cheap and mass produced but oh so close to the real thing. If you find something you love and it has a cosmetic flaw, there are lots of ways to deal with it. Get another dial? Or send it out to one of our modders and have them relume it the right way. I've done that several times and the artists we have walking the halls of RWG can just about do magic.

Stick around! Be an active presence here! Stir up activity and post stuff... set that example to prod other people to do it too. Sharing knowledge is why we're here. :tu:

• Like 2

Great post, thank you!

As part of the guide, it might be just the ticket to include some fine-tuning about "modding". Which as I understand it, in simple terms means giving the watch to a watchmaker of sorts and he can then put in genuine parts, repair or modify. This could include something like cleaning up the face of the watch.

Is there anyone in the UK or a watchmaker in London that could be recommended?

For this watch, it's just the lume splodge that I think needs cleaning up.

I can see the QC pictures have been removed, but if I get another set, should I post those temporarily for comments?

Edited by Faster897

I’m UK based but use @SSTEEL who is a Brit living in the EU. As has been said I’d not put a gen dial in, certainly not yet. Maybe get used to the watch, grow to love it and then decide if you want to spend a lot of cash frankening it with gen parts. Who knows, your taste in watches may even change. That’s what’s great about reps, you can buy, flip, buy, flip very cheaply and enjoy them as you would a gen but at a fraction of the cost. 

• Like 1

Thanks guy. I was just curious about the genuine dial - I don't have anywhere near that kind of money! Hoping TD will come back to me with his thoughts on my comments, today.

For the guide, if I can't find a watch that I would accept - would I get my money back or he'd just send any watch he wanted?

Right! A fresh batch of pictures in. I would welcome comments before they are eventually deleted by a moderator.

In my view, this looks like a better overall piece than the last (picture directly below with the red markings).

The new piece looks good. The only thing that appears "off" is that the 12 o clock batons aren't straight. They are a bit like like this:   / \ to my untrained eye.

Question: Is this something a friendly and skilled watchmaker can fix? Anyone on here?

Any other comments? Should I accept? Pictures of the current piece on offer below.

InkedInkedIMG_0445_LII.jpg

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

I think I will accept this watch and try and get the little bits sorted when i have more money.

Edited by Faster897

Right! A fresh batch of pictures in. I would welcome comments before they are eventually deleted by a moderator.

I’m guessing you have been asked not to share the photos again from the statement above?

If this is supposed to be a guide then you are hardly guiding people in the correct procedure of how a transaction should be done.

Sent from me
  • Like 1

How much is the gen? How much are you paying for the rep? Is it close enough looking to the gen to accept these small flaws (that could possibly be corrected) so that you’re saving many thousands of £/€/$ compared to the gen price. If the answer is yes then I’d accept it, if no then you’re in the wrong game and should start saving for the gen. My guess is that it’s just fine and you’ll be happy with it once it’s on your wrist. I had the same OCD when I was new here and thought long and hard about accepting my first piece from Andrew at Trusty. When it did and it arrived I couldn’t even see the faults I found on the QC photos he’d sent. Your choice but I’d say yes. 

17 hours ago, Champsy said:

I’m guessing you have been asked not to share the photos again from the statement above?

If this is supposed to be a guide then you are hardly guiding people in the correct procedure of how a transaction should be done.

Sent from me

For your information, I have had a forum admin say that photographs are fine. It has since been deleted once the helpful members here came by and comments were made (than you again to those nice people) and there was no further use for the photographs to stay up. I assume the same will happen with the current posts. In any event, I have confirmed I accept the current piece on offer. So, I don't agree with your suggestion that this thread is unhelpful.

5 hours ago, kernow said:

How much is the gen? How much are you paying for the rep? Is it close enough looking to the gen to accept these small flaws (that could possibly be corrected) so that you’re saving many thousands of £/€/$ compared to the gen price. If the answer is yes then I’d accept it, if no then you’re in the wrong game and should start saving for the gen. My guess is that it’s just fine and you’ll be happy with it once it’s on your wrist. I had the same OCD when I was new here and thought long and hard about accepting my first piece from Andrew at Trusty. When it did and it arrived I couldn’t even see the faults I found on the QC photos he’d sent. Your choice but I’d say yes. 

Thank you very much for your helpful and pleasant post. I have accepted the piece, but I am also saving for the gen (one day!)! Very good to know that the faults become less obvious in real life. Thanks again - appreciate you're taking the time to post!

Edited by Faster897

We all do it, even those of us that have bought plenty of watches. We look at hugely magnified images on a computer and pick out tiny faults, then fixate over them. Sometimes we spend hundreds or even thousands of Dollars fixing said faults. Yet in reality this Watch is 40mm overall. I have trouble reading the date without my reading glasses, never mind seeing the “glaring” faults I saw on screen. 

• Like 1

Dear All

Thank you to all the threads I have read and to those who have replied to some of my questions. With your assistance, I am now ready to make a purchase. I

When I joined the forum, my frustration was that I could not find a thread that set out the whole process from start to finish. I'm hoping that this thread will help those who come after me to have a better understanding of what is involved. I also hope that the really knowledgeable members here will contribute to this thread with their observations, advice and constructive criticism to help make this a real good guide.

I have decided on a PF (the factory that makes the watch) made Nautilus 5711 because I love the Gen. Also, it seems to be a close enough replica to meet my expectations from what I have seen and read. Lastly, while I appreciate that a Rolex Submariner is probably the pinnacle of the replica workmanship, I think I can live with the flaws on the Patek.

Here is a video of how good the Rolex replica is: 

e

In terms of choosing a trusted dealer from the RWG list, I have been in touch with InTime and TrustyTime.

InTime - initially answered quickly, but then stopped when I wanted some guidance with his opinion as to what the best factory to buy from you was. Chasers have had no response thus far, which is sad. They seem decent folk but this is a very much a trust thing and they haven't inspired me with confidence.

TrustyTime - Thus far, I am impressed. All my questions have been answered and I have been directed to buy the PF factory's Nautilus 5711 (not 40th anniversary version) with a blue dial, as that in their opinion is the best Nautilus replica on the market.

I just need to get paid this month and then I can buy the watch from my savings. The link to the watch I am going to buy is from the website www.trustytime.biz (if any established members think this is a scam/wrong, please tell me!!). These website change all the time and the current website on RWG does not work. Please could someone confirm this is the correct site? 

I expect that TrustyTime will send me QC (quality control) photographs and I will put these up with my observations and hope that other members will also contribute their views. This will be an important part of the process, because I can see from the picture on the website that the batons are badly aligned. I hope that this thread will produce a list of things to check straight away for almost any purchase.

I will also put up the experience I have with making payment and delivery too, so that it is helpful.  Finally, I will try and make an unboxing video and then discuss the watch itself.

This is the watch I am going to buy: http://www.trustytime.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_199&products_id=17801

I have included a picture below to help people who might click on the link in future and find it is dead. 

At this point, I have not bought the watch yet. I hope to do so at the end of the month. I will then update the thread again. Would the forum prefer if I started new posts, or just edited this on? Happy to do what you guys prefer.

Finally, I really hope people will contribute to this thread. Any thoughts thus far, just let me know!

Hi OP and firstly, welcome to RWG. Also, please don't get discouraged by the lack of response. Things move slower on the boards these days, perhaps due to the festive season. In my experience, someone will eventually reply, so be patient and don't be disheartened. 

1. For the start to finish process, I think that it will differ from dealer to dealer, and that members in general will simply purchase the watch they like, as opposed to taking the time to detail meticulously the start to finish process. Your experience may not apply to theirs and vice versa. Each process with each member and dealer will differ. This is not a habit which I have seen in my hobby, in my last 8 years here. I doubt that it will become a trend or habit. Your post and the information provided are both well appreciated and I think that future members will find it useful. Thank you for your time and effort. Just FYI, the dealers in the hobby are trusted because members have had positive experiences dealing with them over a prolonged period. Therefore, members feel secure dealing with the known dealers listed on the site. 

2.  For the rep itself, it is flawed in several aspects as you already know. I own 2x 5711 gens, the blue and white dial, and have compared all the different rep models against them several times. The datewheel font is the first thing which screams at you, but I understand that someone has created a datewheel to fix that. The thickness of the rep needs to be improved too, and the miyota movement looks and sounds cheap. But price wise, it is a whole lot more friendly than the gen of course.

3. Please continue to post and integrate yourself into the community. We do not need to do things "the same old way" all the time. Refreshing changes are always welcome as long as they are not disruptive, malicious or offensive to the community here. Stay and grow, read and learn. You will understand what this hobby, and us are about before long. Once again, thank you and a warm welcome! 

In my view, this looks like a better overall piece than the last (picture directly below with the red markings).

The new piece looks good. The only thing that appears "off" is that the 12 o clock batons aren't straight. They are a bit like like this:   / \ to my untrained eye.

Question: Is this something a friendly and skilled watchmaker can fix? Anyone on here?

Any other comments? Should I accept? Pictures of the current piece on offer below.

InkedInkedIMG_0445_LII.thumb.jpg.5e215b53066dd03cea7a11cbbea5b9e0.jpg

IMG_1503.thumb.JPG.2c69105c5607e9623150c92efd4ad7c2.JPG

IMG_1504.thumb.JPG.89e5eaec9aa92be22ed9fb3fef426ee9.JPG

IMG_1505.thumb.JPG.c2515a85db8fc6279c24153ee8230258.JPG

IMG_1506.thumb.JPG.845ae560ef853364c61d0fb6593a6d0c.JPG

IMG_1507.thumb.JPG.a8f66cad810857e89c098d2ee28df387.JPG

IMG_1508.thumb.JPG.241fcc94af6905eb955bc290c3121b96.JPG

IMG_1509.thumb.JPG.0b7fb1bf0be0d5466f049dfd54479f73.JPG

I think I will accept this watch and try and get the little bits sorted when i have more money.

To a watch modder, the markers can be realigned, excess lume can be cleaned off, the watch case can be thinned, and the rotor bearing sound, if necessary, can be silenced. 

VS the gen thickness of 8.3mm.

80f85f5fe4cc0dc56b2573f9edbc3ebc.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Legend said:

Thank you Legend. What a nice post! I will keep learning and contributing. I hope to get in touch with a "modder" soon and ask him to clean the lume off, realign the batons and maybe make the watch more silent. Would you recommend any watch modder in particular given your great knowledge and understanding of this replica?

I've got the feel of the place better now and not disheartened at all! I'm happy to just put up things and if it helps just one person, it's enough for me.

Edited by Faster897

2 minutes ago, Faster897 said:

Thank you Legend. What a nice post! I will keep learning and contributing. I hope to get in touch with a "modder" soon and ask him to clean the lume off, realign the batons and maybe make the watch more silent. Would you recommend any watch modder in particular given your great knowledge and understanding of this replica?

I've got the feel of the place better now and no disheartened at all! I'm happy to just put up thing and if it helps just one person, it's enough for me.

@Champsy can you recommend a modder for this nice gentleman? :D :D

[mention=82526]Champsy[/mention] can you recommend a modder for this nice gentleman?

I could recommend a few who’s work I have seen across the forums. However one @legend in particular springs to mind when It comes to modding certain pieces.

He is extremely busy though!!

Sent from me

5 minutes ago, Champsy said:

I could recommend a few who’s work I have seen across the forums. However one @legend in particular springs to mind when It comes to modding certain pieces.

He is extremely busy though!!

Sent from me

LOL Thank you bro

@Faster897 take champsy's suggestion and PM legend, he can help you, being one of the modders here. ;) 

OP in all seriousness you have already come across the best modder here in a lot of people’s opinion, most have all the gear and no idea.

Also how many modders have the gen to compare there work with?

9a42ac340cee8945aa1d6b1610f5aab6.jpg

My latest@legend creation modded in a gen dial, hands and crystal.

Look no further buddy.

Sent from me

1 hour ago, Faster897 said:

I've got the feel of the place better now and not disheartened at all! I'm happy to just put up things and if it helps just one person, it's enough for me.

Also, to be blunt, it is obvious there is a solution and it is right in front of us....lol

Legend is the one to go.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 2:14 PM, Faster897 said:

What a lovely set of posts. @Legend, I will be in touch once I get the watch! Thank you all so very much - power of the internet!

@Legend, are you based in the UK though?

No, he is based in Singapore. Shouldn’t be a problem though. There are ways to get around customs etc. 

I've been in touch and he's been super professional and helpful. I will be sending my watch to him once I have saved up a little. 

Super professional and helpful? You messaged@legend right?!! Haha just joking you won’t find a more helpful person than him as long as you have done your homework beforehand.

Look forward to seeing a wristie once recieved and another once any mods have been done.

Sent from me

Hi guys, just an update. Still waiting on the watch to come through...!

For my edification and for this thread, how long is normal to wait for a watch to be sent from China to the UK? I believe there is quite a range and some weeks is not uncommon?

The less patience you have the longer it takes it seems! It’s a lottery unfortunately, it can also get held up in customs too. Sometimes the tracking doesn’t update and whilst you’re thinking the watch is still on route to you, bingo, it arrives. I’d say anything from 2-4 weeks isn’t uncommon at this time of year. I’ve just had one arrive from the States in 4 days and that’s a record for me. The last one I had from China was around 2 weeks.