When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nautilus 5711 (PF) - step by step account of the purchase with links and pictures...

Faster897

Dear All

Thank you to all the threads I have read and to those who have replied to some of my questions. With your assistance, I am now ready to make a purchase. I

When I joined the forum, my frustration was that I could not find a thread that set out the whole process from start to finish. I'm hoping that this thread will help those who come after me to have a better understanding of what is involved. I also hope that the really knowledgeable members here will contribute to this thread with their observations, advice and constructive criticism to help make this a real good guide.

I have decided on a PF (the factory that makes the watch) made Nautilus 5711 because I love the Gen. Also, it seems to be a close enough replica to meet my expectations from what I have seen and read. Lastly, while I appreciate that a Rolex Submariner is probably the pinnacle of the replica workmanship, I think I can live with the flaws on the Patek.

Here is a video of how good the Rolex replica is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZTqC2Yxxse

In terms of choosing a trusted dealer from the RWG list, I have been in touch with InTime and TrustyTime.

InTime - initially answered quickly, but then stopped when I wanted some guidance with his opinion as to what the best factory to buy from you was. Chasers have had no response thus far, which is sad. They seem decent folk but this is a very much a trust thing and they haven't inspired me with confidence.

TrustyTime - Thus far, I am impressed. All my questions have been answered and I have been directed to buy the PF factory's Nautilus 5711 (not 40th anniversary version) with a blue dial, as that in their opinion is the best Nautilus replica on the market.

I just need to get paid this month and then I can buy the watch from my savings. The link to the watch I am going to buy is from the website www.trustytime.biz (if any established members think this is a scam/wrong, please tell me!!). These website change all the time and the current website on RWG does not work. Please could someone confirm this is the correct site? 🙏

I expect that TrustyTime will send me QC (quality control) photographs and I will put these up with my observations and hope that other members will also contribute their views. This will be an important part of the process, because I can see from the picture on the website that the batons are badly aligned. I hope that this thread will produce a list of things to check straight away for almost any purchase.

I will also put up the experience I have with making payment and delivery too, so that it is helpful.  Finally, I will try and make an unboxing video and then discuss the watch itself.

This is the watch I am going to buy: http://www.trustytime.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_199&products_id=17801

I have included a picture below to help people who might click on the link in future and find it is dead. 

621358717_ScreenShot2018-11-09at13_53_00.thumb.png.2105c36df2e140d6bb2bc2e45093db43.png

At this point, I have not bought the watch yet. I hope to do so at the end of the month. I will then update the thread again. Would the forum prefer if I started new posts, or just edited this on? Happy to do what you guys prefer.

Finally, I really hope people will contribute to this thread. Any thoughts thus far, just let me know!

Edited by Faster897

FYI - unless you really want this particular (old) version, there is a much much much newer version out there. The watch in the link you provided is from 2017.

This here should be the latest version, albeit from a different maker: http://www.trustytime.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_199&products_id=19078

In the future, you can tell when the watch was added to the site by looking just below the pictures, there it says something along the lines of... "This product was added to our catalog on Wednesday 26 September, 2018."

1 hour ago, slay said:

FYI - unless you really want this particular (old) version, there is a much much much newer version out there. The watch in the link you provided is from 2017.

This here should be the latest version, albeit from a different maker: http://www.trustytime.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_199&products_id=19078

In the future, you can tell when the watch was added to the site by looking just below the pictures, there it says something along the lines of... "This product was added to our catalog on Wednesday 26 September, 2018."

Thank you for this.

I asked TrustTime what they considered to be the best quality replica and they said it was the one I posted above.

Do you feel the one you posted is a true-er copy of the original? I'd be very keen to understand why and hear from the wiser ones here as well.

22 minutes ago, Faster897 said:

Thank you for this.

I asked TrustTime what they considered to be the best quality replica and they said it was the one I posted above.

Do you feel the one you posted is a true-er copy of the original? I'd be very keen to understand why and hear from the wiser ones here as well.

Shamed be he who thinks evil of it ;) Perhaps he wants to clear out old stock. I don't know enough about 5711s to give you a definitive answer, but there should be plenty of posts re: the 5711 either on this forum or on RWI, so try using the search function if nobody chimes in here.

1 hour ago, slay said:

Shamed be he who thinks evil of it ;) Perhaps he wants to clear out old stock. I don't know enough about 5711s to give you a definitive answer, but there should be plenty of posts re: the 5711 either on this forum or on RWI, so try using the search function if nobody chimes in here.

Thank again. Now I'm stuck because InTime has come back to me and said he thinks the MK version is better as it has a better dial! Haha, I will try and do some research. 

"Perhaps he wants to clear out old stock."

Yep.

A few sales rules in no particular order:

1...Dealers/sellers will try to sell what they make the most $$ on.

2...Dealers/sellers will try to clear out old stock.

3...Dealers/sellers will push the models they have the most of.

4...Dealers/sellers will jack up the price on 'Hot!' models and claim they are hard to get.  Harley Davidson and rolex ADs have perfected this ruse.

5...Dealers/sellers are not as dumb as they seem to be.

6...Dealers/sellers will tell you what you want to hear.

7...Buyers have no friends in the sales department when buying what they are selling.

8...Almost all sales people will lie if needed to make a sale.

This applies to all dealers/sellers...car dealers, cell phone dealers, real estate agents, lemonade stands, hookers! etc.

There is more real lemon juice in Lemon Pledge furniture polish than in Country Time Lemonade.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, automatico said:

"Perhaps he wants to clear out old stock."

Yep.

A few sales rules in no particular order:

1...Dealers/sellers will try to sell what they make the most $$ on.

2...Dealers/sellers will try to clear out old stock.

3...Dealers/sellers will push the models they have the most of.

4...Dealers/sellers will jack up the price on 'Hot!' models and claim they are hard to get.  Harley Davidson and rolex ADs have perfected this ruse.

5...Dealers/sellers are not as dumb as they seem to be.

6...Dealers/sellers will tell you what you want to hear.

7...Buyers have no friends in the sales department when buying what they are selling.

8...Almost all sales people will lie if needed to make a sale.

This applies to all dealers/sellers...car dealers, cell phone dealers, real estate agents, lemonade stands, hookers! etc.

There is more real lemon juice in Lemon Pledge furniture polish than in Country Time Lemonade.

Unfortunately, without physically seeing the watches you can't tell which is better.

To ask a pointed question, is the general consensus that the MK version is better than the PF version of the 5711?

MK version is $50 cheaper - https://www.intime03.co/patek-philippe/5379-nautilus-jumbo-5711a-ss-v5-mk-1-1-best-version-blue-dial-on-bracelet-cal324cs-free-box.html

PF version is supposed to have the better case and is thinner - http://www.trustytime.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_199&products_id=17801

I am still inclined to go with PF factory, but grateful to the members for raising the MK.

Haha, wish there was a shop you could just drop into and actually see things properly!

Is it possible to have the MK dial put on the PF watch?

Edited by Faster897

Well done so far on your guide. Bare in mind what has been said already by some experienced members. As to what is ‘best’; it’s working out which flaws you can live with. Some people will want the case construction to be as per the gen so they can swap out for gen parts. Others will want a fully functioning chronograph and won’t care about sub dial spacing. In essence it’s a case of you, the buyer researching what you want and what is acceptable to you. Don’t be put off by TD’s that don’t respond to dozens of questions- they all have lots of potential customers asking lots of questions and they have to manage it the best they can. Good luck with your purchase. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Well done so far on your guide. Bare in mind what has been said already by some experienced members. As to what is ‘best’; it’s working out which flaws you can live with. Some people will want the case construction to be as per the gen so they can swap out for gen parts. Others will want a fully functioning chronograph and won’t care about sub dial spacing. In essence it’s a case of you, the buyer researching what you want and what is acceptable to you. Don’t be put off by TD’s that don’t respond to dozens of questions- they all have lots of potential customers asking lots of questions and they have to manage it the best they can. Good luck with your purchase. 

Thank you for the kind words and for your excellent post. That is really good advice. I think you're right, in that, to me the form and authenticity of the watch case and bracelet are the most important factors to me. It seems that the PF is broadly accepted to be a far superior body of the watch, while the MK dial is better it's not that much better. So basically, I could live with the PF dial as I believe it's already of a very good standard.

Very good advice about the TDs not answering and that I should be put off. They have all come back eventually, but they must lose sales like this? For example, I was going to buy from one TD so I only contacted him. Then he went quiet so I contacted someone else and now he has competition.

Furthermore, 2 out of 3 TDs have said that the PF version is their choice. Only one (InTime) has said it's the MK for him.

I will try and see if I can maybe have a MK dial on a PF watch.

The selection is subjective- and in the TD’s case, it’s what they have available. Yes, I’m sure they may lose a little business but they also have to balance out replies to people who they think won’t buy!

Andrew at Trusty Time has been around a very long time, I have always found him a helpful and reasonable guy, both in my personal purchases and when acting as a Mod here. Also the link you quoted is legit.

I love the 5711 and keep thinking about buying a rep. I’m no expert on the subject and possibly know less than you now do😀

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sogeha said:

Andrew at Trusty Time has been around a very long time, I have always found him a helpful and reasonable guy, both in my personal purchases and when acting as a Mod here. Also the link you quoted is legit.

I love the 5711 and keep thinking about buying a rep. I’m no expert on the subject and possibly know less than you now do😀

I will be placing the order with Andy next week. I am excited and I will post pictures of the QC process. I would be very grateful if you and other would guide me through the QC process.

Update.

I have taken a deep breath and pulled the trigger. $525 worth of tension coming up!

I've been told to expect the QC pictures in about 2 - 7 days. I will post these up and invite all the help and suggestions that come in, but it may be worth setting out a general "what to look for" and a more specific "Nautilus list" if people are feeling helpful?

All, I have received the QC pictures but the emails ask that I do not share them. Is this normal?

I would add that I didn't agree to this before payment and i very much want the guidance of the forum.

Could you advise please? I don't want to break any rules.

All, I have received the QC pictures. I would welcome your thoughts please.

1. 12 o clock batons aren't quite in-line. 6 o clock has lume outside of the metal.

2. 6 o clock baton appears to have lume underneath in the picture where the watch is on it's side with 12 o clock on the right.

3. Screw seems to be protruding out on the picture with the Patek crown facing upwards with watch on side

4. There is a symbol I don't recognise on the movement. Almost looks like a Chinese character in the picture with rear of watch with crown to the right.

5. There seems to be lume in the bezel over the numbers? Is that right?

These are my thoughts. I am being too picky? 

(Photos edited out by request of author -Nanuq)

Edited by Faster897

Yes, it can be that some TD’s say don’t share QC photos. If so, why did you post them going against Andrews request?

Anyway, the purpose of QC photos is to ensure that you’ve got the correct watch with no major flaws. Some forums don’t allow the posting of QC photos as people get too wound up about perfection.  Looking at yours, it looks fine to me - don’t worry about very slightly misaligned markers or non perfect lume. Remember this is a rep, if you want perfection then spend the thousands and buy a gen. 

As for enthusiasm, it’s only been a few hours and not forgetting most people go with Rolex, although I want a white PP Nautilus. 

Buddy your QC pictures haven’t even been posted a day, calm down it is the weekend after all people have lives.

You are doing a helpful thing for those that do come after you and don’t understand the process or what to expect so continue on, be patient I am sure helpful advice will come on your pictures and this topic will help some in the future.

My own opinion which isn’t worth a lot, however I will give you it. I would refuse it on the 6 marker the rest I do not need to look at because my eyes would go to that 6 market every time.

Good luck with your guide and thanks for trying to help others out.

Champsy

Sent from me

Cheers. Very helpful and apologies (sorry!) if I was overly keen! I will continue with my guide as I do want to try to give something back. Mods, please remove the pictures if you feel that is right (I've reported my post). The way I read the email was that if I accepted the QC then I shouldn't post, and I haven't accepted yet, so I posted but the mods can take them down of course, but it will make the guide less helpful. 

Edited by Faster897
  • Like 1

No, all is good with leaving the photos. As has been said it’s a personal opinion about the watch. For me, I’d accept it as the markers look well aligned and the little overspill of lume (glue?) could be cleaned up if it really bothers you. If you reject it the next one could be worse. If YOU like it accept it, if you’re unhappy then tell the TD why and ask for another. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kernow said:

No, all is good with leaving the photos. As has been said it’s a personal opinion about the watch. For me, I’d accept it as the markers look well aligned and the little overspill of lume (glue?) could be cleaned up if it really bothers you. If you reject it the next one could be worse. If YOU like it accept it, if you’re unhappy then tell the TD why and ask for another. 

Hi and thank you! I think it looks ok, but I guess I'm not sure what the average "ok" looks like! But it's very buoying to have a couple of people suggest that it is not bad already.

Will wait and see what the TD says to my queries. I've explained that I'm not rejecting but I'd appreciate his thoughts.

How do I find a watchmaker who would be open to helping on a replica? I'm between Ireland and London.

And out of curiosity, could you fit a genuine dial on a PF replica?  If it's 1:1 you should be able to?

Something like this? (Crazy prices, I know! Just dreaming/asking).

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Faster897

No need to apologise for being an eager beaver buddy I understand you want to get on with it and most of all get that watch on your wrist.

Like already said it isn’t bad, personally I don’t like the splodge on the 6 marker that yes can be removed but by someone that knows what they are doing so be prepared to send it off once you received it unless of course you have these skills?

This is going on your wrist so only you alone know what flaws you can live with after all it’s a rep you will have to accept some.

As for the gen dial fitting straight in 1:1 I don’t believe that is also possible without modifications again more experienced members will know for sure.

Sent from me

2 hours ago, Champsy said:

No need to apologise for being an eager beaver buddy I understand you want to get on with it and most of all get that watch on your wrist.

Like already said it isn’t bad, personally I don’t like the splodge on the 6 marker that yes can be removed but by someone that knows what they are doing so be prepared to send it off once you received it unless of course you have these skills?

This is going on your wrist so only you alone know what flaws you can live with after all it’s a rep you will have to accept some.

As for the gen dial fitting straight in 1:1 I don’t believe that is also possible without modifications again more experienced members will know for sure.

Sent from me

Thanks again. Let's see what the TD says... I think the splodge on 6 marker is a problem for me. The rest I can live with.