When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1520 restoring mvt

Jovi75

Hi guys I’m restoring a original Rolex mvt 1520.

Does anybody has to sell or can tell me where I can find a exploded drawing ?.

I’ve yet purchased... a spare part list dvd ... but I’m looking for the right exploded drawing ....

Help

Jovi

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

"Make sure you know how to handle those KIF Duoshock springs on the escape wheel."

For sure!

They are a pia the first few times. 

Here are the DUOFIX instructions from an official rolex manual.  My comments are in ( ).

(Very!) Important:

Do not attempt to disengage the arms of the key when dismounting the DUOFIX.

To disassemble the DUOFIX, use a sharp pointed tool in the notch beside the ear and disengage the ear from the block by a backwards movement.

(The 'ear' is the tab that locks the shock spring in the setting.  "Block' = jewel setting.  The 'ear' is at the outer center of the rounded 'wishbone' shaped spring.  The 'ear' holds the shock spring in the setting by fitting into a groove in the jewel setting.)

Engage the point of the tool into the central notch opposite the ear and slide the key outwards to release the cap jewel.

(After you unlock the 'ear' from the groove in the setting, gently push the wishbone spring away from where the 'ear' locks into the groove in the setting to release it.  The 'wishbone' spring always stays in the shock setting, it just moves out of the way enough to r/r the jewels.)

The cap jewel can be removed and replaced with tweezers. cap jewel and hole jewel are easily cleaned.

(I use Rodico to remove the jewels so they do not fly out of tweezers.  After the cap and hole jewels are cleaned and oiled they will stick together and be fairly easy to put back in the setting using tweezers.  Be sure to clean all Rodico residue off of jewels.)

To reassemble, engage the tool point into the notch beside the ear and push the key slightly inwards under the perimeter of the block.

Bring the key to its locking position by pushing at the central notch. The ear will then slide under into the groove in the block and the two shoulders will touch the block wall.

(Make sure the 'shoulders' of the 'wishbone' spring are fully seated and touch the block/jewel setting wall so it will not come out.)

Here is a very good video on cleaning and oiling a rolex movement.  It is a 3075 GMT but the basics are the same as a 15xx.  In part 3, go to the 8 minute spot and watch how to oil balance jewels...a very important part of service.  Watch all three parts a time or two to see how proper service procedure is done.

Tip:

Not if but when you screw up oiling the cap jewel (too much oil, the hole jewel lands off to one side and smears the oil drop when putting them together, the hole and cap jewel fall apart after oiling etc, etc), you need to clean the jewels, let them dry, and oil them again.  After a few dozen screwups you will get a lot better at it.  :prop:

Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydJ-riJ7sjo

Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHOx0M7ARvQ

Part 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYJ9KkFK9wE

• Like 1