When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where have all the franken 6538’s gone?

danielv2000

5 hours ago, Nanuq said:

@cheld  what do you have there?  Let's see the face of that beauty.  Look at those canoe shaped lugs, you know you might be right in the ballpark for something even more rare than a Big Crown....

The Small Crown Sub.  Very few have been attempted, and none with any real success besides Freddy333 and his tropical version.

:jumpy:

It's a 6564, so too small a case to do a Sub.

5 hours ago, Sogeha said:

@Nanuq you know of my on going love affair with my 5508, that’s a small crown

i have some 6538 parts stashed, I’m trying to tell myself I will be perfectly happy with an ETA movement and mostly failing

Ahhhhhhh, that's smart thinking ... I have an ETA 2846 in the Big Gonzo, specifically because I intend to USE that thing like a one eyed rented mule.  I've got all these vintage pieces I never wear anymore because the autowind wheels are wearing out, so the 6538 is made to take their place.   Let me know when you're more ready to do the 5508 project, I think I have the dial you need.  ;)

--------------------

Hoooooooooooooly smokes, dbane .... it doesn't get any nicer than that.  Magnificent.  :notworthy:

You know, you can send it to me for long term "safe" storage...  :whistling:

• Like 1

Wow, what stunning watches!!

I like a thin watch but I'm also a Bond fan - how about a 6538 dial with a 6536 case and crown with 1030-spec hands and a T-17*?  I already have the undersized strap LOL.

* If not gen, who makes the most accurate aftermarket dome?

If you plan on doing a proper 6536 (ie not a 6536/1 that has the bigger 27.7mm dial) and get a great 6538 dial, maybe we can swap dials in the end ;)

0059af6686573595a7667900273e5551.jpg

Aftermarket dome - at least some years back the CWP T19 was a good option.
  • Like 2

Attention: the watches in this thread are Unsatisfactory in their finish, strap, and magnetic character.

As a service to the community, for a limited time you may send me the unsatisfactory item and I'll dispose of it free of charge:hi:

rolex_image.3688173.jpg

Edited by jimcon11
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 8:12 AM, jimcon11 said:

Attention: the watches in this thread are Unsatisfactory in their finish, strap, and magnetic character.

As a service to the community, for a limited time you may send me the unsatisfactory item and I'll dispose of it free of charge:hi:

Sounds important, I'll help you dispose of some 😛We've all got to do our part after all.

Edited by HaydenM
  • Like 1

I'll post some pictures of mine later, I am at work currently. I absolutely loved building my 6538.

It was my first big watch project. It sounds cheesy, but the project taught me a good bit of discipline and patience. A few members on this board were so helpful in completing the project - if y'all read this and remember my PMs to you a few years back, know that I am grateful for your help every time I wear my watch! :)

A good dial is paramount. The rest of the watch will not matter if you do not have a great dial. Hands are also very important. If you have the financial means and the access, do not skimp on either the dial or the hands. 

A few tips that people passed on to me: if you buy a dial from MQ, make sure he does not send you a cheap dial in place of an expensive one. If you buy a case from phong, make sure the case he sent you matches the case he sends you QC pictures of. I also noticed that a few of phong's cases had crooked crown tubes, leading to the crown being crooked.

If you can, get a gen 8 mm crown. The best 7206 bracelet that you can seem to get is the one from Yuki.

The most accurate recreation of the strap used by Sean Connery in Dr. No can be found at the following link. It is important to note that the strap used in the film is not a standard NATO strap but is actually a one piece strap. https://www.esprit-nato.com/nl/nylon-watch-straps/153-the-real-james-bond-sean-connery-in-goldfinger-black-military-green-red.html?search_query=james+bond&results=63

Good luck with the project. 

Edited by Revere
  • Like 2

Any 3-6-9 dials with red depth?  I seem to be weak at the knees for that one...

Keep in mind that the 3-6-9 dials had the brass plate “carved” out I believe, to hold the luminous rather than just being applied to the plate on top of the lacquer. If you want it done right, that’s the way to go.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dbane883 said:

Keep in mind that the 3-6-9 dials had the brass plate “carved” out I believe, to hold the luminous rather than just being applied to the plate on top of the lacquer. If you want it done right, that’s the way to go.

Was that the case with 3/6/9 5513s as well?

I believe only in the earliest ofthe explorer dial 5513’s. I could be wrong. But pretty certain the all red depth era 6538 explorer dials had the numeral depressions. That’s one of the reasons I never pursued a build like that; having a gilt Dial made in such a fashion wasn’t economically prudent.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 8:04 PM, dbane883 said:

This is why the knowledge of vintage rolex on RWG is second to none.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, danielv2000 said:

This is why the knowledge of vintage rolex on RWG is second to none.

Yes it is! They make fun calling us "the knitting circle"on RWG bz I always say our guys are in "ivory towers pondering builds" those lemmings are buying the latest V whatever the dealers put out.:thumbdown: We are the brain trust of the rep world this has never disputed successfully a matter of they don't go there, they know deep down where the expertise is.

I stride proudly through the rep world representing RWG cc.  w/ you guys behind me.  :notworthy:

• Like 2

Well said Mike. We're fortunate the real dedicated enthusiasts followed us here during the great migration when our original forum went down in flames. Now we keep the fire burning here. Long live RWG... the real RWG.

• Like 1

Of the 4 rep boards I'm aware of, I stumbled upon this one last, which is unfortunate because it's far and away the best community and best knowledge base, IMO. My understanding of vintage builds took off once I found this place, even though it's the one forum without a vintage section :unknw:

• Like 1

Actually I think it might be no harm to have found us after gaining a little understanding of the rep game. We look like an also ran on the face of it, because we are a quiet little haven of peace. However as Mike said, we have the guys with knowledge. 

I am constantly awed by the technical knowledge and horological repair skills here, my ability and confidence has rocketed in my time here, but never for one minute do I consider myself anything more than a total beginner 

I am proud to serve you guys and happy to do so for as long as the community wants me to. You all know how to reach me if you need me at any time

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/20/2021 at 6:29 PM, Silver Fox said:

Lovely dial.  Can I ask where from please?

Thanks buddy ... Custom dial made by myself a few years ago ...

Custom Burford dial, custom (and fully working) A/6538 german silver bezel, fixed bars, engraved midcase and caseback, etc ... almost every part of that watch has been custom made or reworked by me :) 

I took me months of work but that's one of the really few A/6538 Reps available ...

• Like 2