When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for a UK based watchmaker for a simple fix.

potnoodle

Question

Hi, 

I recently received a new rep from a TD, but I failed to notice on the QC pics that one of the hour markers is wonky. I'd already received it and started wearing it before I noticed, now every time I look at the watch it's driving me mental.  I can't send it back now but I assume it's probably a 10 minute fix for a decent watchmaker.

Does anyone know a trusted guy in the UK (or even the EU) that will do such a simple fix, and how much they might charge?

6 answers to this question

Being a watch modder myself, I am always against the term "simple fix" used by watch owners, along with the inherent and implicit assumptions that it will only take x minutes, and involving a simple "xxx" procedure. Yes you could be totally correct, but it will be fair to let the person who will be doing the fix comment on how simple/difficult it is. Different watchmakers/makers have different skill levels, and what you assume as "simple' may be laborious for the guy actually doing it.

Competence, knowledge, experience and patience come into play when determining if a fix is "simple" or otherwise. In your case, the job requires the modder to dismantle the watch, hands, crown/stem etc to get to the dial. The marker adhesive then needs to be carefully removed and realigned, and then fixed in place. The job requires a good eye for it, and of course, steady hands and a delicate touch to get it done well. If it is so simple, why not spend 10min to do it yourself? I think it is not prudent to pre-assess the difficulty of the job and the time it will need to do it. 

For the watchsmith, you can try contacting @SSTEEL. He is not in the UK but he is based in Europe. He will be able to solve your issue, but once again, leave the assessment of the job to someone qualified to make them. 

• Like 1

I’m UK based and could give it a go. I expect it to be a 30 second job to remove the marker. This is my tool kit. All risks on you though. Alternatively, contact @SSTEEL as @Legend has already said. I use him myself after my attempts at fixing. 

D89A8EB1-8ADB-42B7-B2EA-9DDCBD6B4A26.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m UK based and could give it a go. I expect it to be a 30 second job to remove the marker. This is my tool kit. All risks on you though. Alternatively, contact [mention=50989]SSTEEL[/mention] as [mention=39943]Legend[/mention] has already said. I use him myself after my attempts at fixing. 

D89A8EB1-8ADB-42B7-B2EA-9DDCBD6B4A26.jpeg.ffec448ed1d361d8fc7eed9d6e3d5981.jpeg

I see that you’ve toned down somewhat from your chainsaw days. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk