When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

rolex 630 question

Mattjames84

15 minutes ago, Mattjames84 said:

i got an old rolex 630 chronometer movement id like to build a sub with.. is it possible? what case would i need.. these are probably stupid questions but oh well.. thnks for any answers

There were no subs made with the 600 series movements so I dont see any reason why you should use it. I have never seen builds with that caliber either. 

Had a ref 6105 tutone (A296) in November 1990, paid $250.  Also had an all steel ref 6303 (A260) at the same time, same price.  Next (and last) was a 6050 BB in August 2010.  All gone now. 

What did I learn?

Parts in the early 1990s were hard to find, especially auto winding parts.  A few a/w parts are now available in the aftmkt.

The time keeping parts seem to be pretty good and do not cause much trouble. 

Oldest rlx autos I have now are a pair of 6605...one TT, one all steel (TT 1956, cal 1065, SS 1959, cal 1066).  Did I move up a notch?  I hope so.

The 645 movement is 9.75 ligne size and they have a skirt made on the outside of the plate to make the OD 11.5''' (about 26.4mm).  Rlx 15xx, 30xx, and 31xx are 12.5'''.  ETA 2824/36 are 11.5'''.

• Like 1

what you willing to pay? haha
this is actually a nice movement too, the balance is good, i just need to service it. im gonna wait on that tho

15% more than you paid as a finders fee.

I do t think the stem height will work with my JMB caseset otherwise I would have one hella cool Franken 6350.

a0bf0217ff039f2eb7d0f12087bcebcd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Here is some free advice on 600 type/BB automatic rlx movements (from experience):

Stay away from them. 

They were not very good to start with and now with the parts situation they are a losing game.

Go with rlx 1530 base rlx movement projects...or use an ETA movement.

Another movement to stay away from is the  tudor 390 (FEF 380).  They run Ok but have all kinds of auto wind problems, just like rlx BB types. 

Go with tudors that came with ETA movements.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mattjames84 said:

might sell it for $1100, or equal trade but other then that im savin up for the 6204 case

Its yours and you can ask whatever you want but your last few posts do indicate profiteering which is generally frowned upon on these forums.   just sayin ,

I am sure you could get what you are asking on ebay no problem . 

well i did buy it for a good deal, i wont lie but selling it werent my intentions however anything i buy in life i look at as an investment and seeing i cant afford a whole lot, im forced to try an make a little profit on anything i sell, to save for what i really want.. im sorry i seem like a flipper.

9 hours ago, Mattjames84 said:

well i did buy it for a good deal, i wont lie but selling it werent my intentions however anything i buy in life i look at as an investment and seeing i cant afford a whole lot, im forced to try an make a little profit on anything i sell, to save for what i really want.. im sorry i seem like a flipper.

No worries man I just wanted to bring that to light to avoid you getting into any hot water around here.    its a rare movement and I dont blame you for holding onto it and I would be tempted myself to let it go if the price is right.    look fwd to seeing your build!