When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can the rivet on fliplock clasp be removed?

Drummania

It is a 'rivet tube'...a hollow tube with a rivet pressed into each end.  You can pry them apart if the rivets are not too tight in the tube.  If they are too tight, you usually have to grind the rivet head down thin enough to be able to spread the f/l lever and break the rivet or knock it out with a punch.  It is hard to grind a rivet head down without leaving a mark but it can be done.

Rivet tubes are for sale from supply houses and on eBay but you need to know the correct outer diameter.  I buy them too long and cut to size.

Watch out for price crooks, 10 or 12 tubes with rivets should not cost over $5 or $7.

Example:

Here is a 55 piece set for $18.50...eBay item number  142580396265

22 hours ago, automatico said:

It is a 'rivet tube'...a hollow tube with a rivet pressed into each end.  You can pry them apart if the rivets are not too tight in the tube.  If they are too tight, you usually have to grind the rivet head down thin enough to be able to spread the f/l lever and break the rivet or knock it out with a punch.  It is hard to grind a rivet head down without leaving a mark but it can be done.

Rivet tubes are for sale from supply houses and on eBay but you need to know the correct outer diameter.  I buy them too long and cut to size.

Watch out for price crooks, 10 or 12 tubes with rivets should not cost over $5 or $7.

Example:

Here is a 55 piece set for $18.50...eBay item number  142580396265

Great info for noob modders!

B

"Ugh too much trouble. Guess I'd stick with a non-fliplock clasp instead."

I know what you mean... 

I have a 'Mary' 7836 folded oyster that I put a fliplock clasp on that has never suited me.  I started out by changing the two connecting links that attach to the spring bars from the 'figure 8' type that came with it to end links that were a better match to oem parts.  This worked out Ok.

Next I removed one link from the 6 o'clock side (to go from 6 to 5 links) and a link had to be spread to get it apart.  I needed to remove one link so the bracelet would not be too long after the dive extension is installed...it came with 13 links.  When I bent the link back down to put the bracelet back together it did not bend back down evenly and left a slight crimp on the top side of the link.  Rats!

Next was the link that connects the clasp assembly to the bracelet on the 6 o'clock end...I found a suitable connecting link and got the clasp mounted but the half link spacer that covers the open space (where the center link was removed in order to connect to the clasp) flattened out when I squeezed it together to hold it in place leaving a crimp mark.  Now I have two crimp marks!

I even went so far as to make a tool to put 'keeper dents' in the skirt of the clasp to hold the bracelet in place under the clasp cap.  I posted about this tool a year or two ago...I made it out of a leather strap notching tool like you use to cut 'Gucci notches' in straps.

I still need to change the crimped half link spacer out for a better one and install a dive extension but I quit on it for now...about two years ago.  :animal_rooster: