Jump to content
RWG
edgematic1

BP SD 16600 to 16660

Recommended Posts

Been thinking about this. The 16660 is my favourite SD variant. 
We have an amazing rep with the BP SD.

 

I'm just wondering if anyone else already went this way, since the differences between the 16600 and 16660 are subtle, wouldn't it be possible to turn the BP SD into an old matte SD?

 

Work to do:

- change datewheel
- change dial
- change hands (not sure)
- create larger chamfers
- create thicker crown guards (who's able to laserweld on the forum?)
- different bracelet

 

Anyone else who went that way? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rosnik said:

Case lugholes are needed.

 

Haha yes, forgot to add that to my list while that's the first thing most would have mentioned. But offcourse, lugholes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finding someone who can laserweld/microweld is tough. At least I couldnt find one. I wanted to "convert" a JF 16610 case to a 16800 one, and have the old springbar holes removed. But I couldnt find someone, so I ended up buying an ST case and will have it engraved...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I know a handful of amazing laserwelders that work on watches but they won't do it on a rep case. They're all in Italy, and AMAZING at what they do. One particular reason why I stay away from Italian vintage dealers, hehe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, edgematic1 said:

Well, I know a handful of amazing laserwelders that work on watches but they won't do it on a rep case. They're all in Italy, and AMAZING at what they do. One particular reason why I stay away from Italian vintage dealers, hehe. 

do you got web site?

42 minutes ago, markiemark said:

Finding someone who can laserweld/microweld is tough. At least I couldnt find one. I wanted to "convert" a JF 16610 case to a 16800 one, and have the old springbar holes removed. But I couldnt find someone, so I ended up buying an ST case and will have it engraved...

I'm trying to get some project. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have sent you a PM with a website of someone I've used before. 

46 minutes ago, rosnik said:

do you got web site?

I'm trying to get some project. :)

You're looking for a welding project?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jasonbaylee said:

Are U spearheading this project Edge?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Haha, no, I was wondering if anyone has done this before as it would  be cool imo. The triple six is a great blend between old and new and with the good BP SD I would be surprised of nobody has done this before. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jasonbaylee said:

I will jump in if u are contemplating Edge


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd do it as a project for myself but wouldn't make 10 of these... I was thinking about it as it can be quite accurate and relatively low cost. 
I'll work on my 6263 project first (sample stage for the bezel and dial). And will read/search more for this project during the 6263 project. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, edgematic1 said:

I have sent you a PM with a website of someone I've used before. 

You're looking for a welding project?

no, I need lugholes and reschape 16610 case to 16800.

I already got gen 16800 Dial and insert, ready for this project.

5 hours ago, edgematic1 said:

Haha, no, I was wondering if anyone has done this before as it would  be cool imo. The triple six is a great blend between old and new and with the good BP SD I would be surprised of nobody has done this before. 

 

Are you sure the BP SD is really 1:1 build?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rosnik said:

no, I need lugholes and reschape 16610 case to 16800.

I already got gen 16800 Dial and insert, ready for this project.

my guy doesn't work on reps

 

I have heard there are good workshops in Hungary but I don't speak Hungarian. Maybe someone else could help with that? Would be great to have a welder working on reps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Finding someone who can laserweld/microweld is tough. At least I couldnt find one. I wanted to "convert" a JF 16610 case to a 16800 one, and have the old springbar holes removed. But I couldnt find someone, so I ended up buying an ST case and will have it engraved...
You could have kept the lug-holes and build an early 16800 ...

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, manodeoro said:

You could have kept the lug-holes and build an early 16800 ...

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk
 

I mean I wanted to get rid of the the modern springbar "holes" on the JF case. The ST case I ordered has drilled lug holes (all the way through). Im building an 1987 16800. Got my hands on a really nice gen black faded navy insert :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a while back I made a 16660 out of a SSD-V2. Matte dial from Yuki, relumed dial and hands by PBdad, lugholes drilled by jmb, Swiss eta with a silver DW with open 6/9s (from a Paul's old DRSD). 

ukswdp.jpg

I got a 93160 from TC 4-5 years ago. 

 

But remember one thing- an SSD and a BP SD are NOT gen construction, so don't kid yourself about that fact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is correct, it's not completely as gen. But mods that have been done before by @Turbo350z are: 

 

BP case drilled spring bars

Gen xtal

Gen bezel assembly

Gen insert

Gen crown

Gen dial

Gen hands

Gen date wheel

Gen 93160

Yuki movement

 

So I guess it's close to gen construction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:10 AM, edgematic1 said:

Been thinking about this. The 16660 is my favourite SD variant. 
We have an amazing rep with the BP SD.

 

I'm just wondering if anyone else already went this way, since the differences between the 16600 and 16660 are subtle, wouldn't it be possible to turn the BP SD into an old matte SD?

 

Work to do:

- change datewheel
- change dial
- change hands (not sure)
- create larger chamfers
- create thicker crown guards (who's able to laserweld on the forum?)
- different bracelet

 

Anyone else who went that way? 

Remember that the BP one is larger than gen and "centers" the dial/movement in the case. You'll need to create a custom small "dial ring" e.g. from a nylon gasket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 1:29 PM, hologramet said:

Remember that the BP one is larger than gen and "centers" the dial/movement in the case. You'll need to create a custom small "dial ring" e.g. from a nylon gasket.

Another way is to build a custom dial spacer, same diameter than the BP dial so larger than the new dial.

That's what I did for my A/6538 build ... dial was 26mm and smaller than the inside diameter of the rehaut (26.3mm) and it worked perfectly. 

If you look closely @8:00 on the pic below you can see the tiny gap between the dial and the rehaut ... I've been really happy to achieve that.

 

juAkf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 1:29 PM, hologramet said:

Remember that the BP one is larger than gen and "centers" the dial/movement in the case. You'll need to create a custom small "dial ring" e.g. from a nylon gasket.

Thanks! That's interesting info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m using the newer a3135 version BPSD to build a 16600 franken. Gen Dial arrived today, 9494206c69f62a01b3ba6ffb5901e3f2.jpg&key=b977bd666e1864c1aec60611934912b553d97653136f22949eb54c6f332ff527 I have a new GEN insert and DW en route, also set of GEN Hands. I’m buying an SH3135 to have serviced and installed too.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...