When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BP SD 16600 to 16660

edgematic1

Been thinking about this. The 16660 is my favourite SD variant. 
We have an amazing rep with the BP SD.

I'm just wondering if anyone else already went this way, since the differences between the 16600 and 16660 are subtle, wouldn't it be possible to turn the BP SD into an old matte SD?

Work to do:

- change datewheel
- change dial
- change hands (not sure)
- create larger chamfers
- create thicker crown guards (who's able to laserweld on the forum?)
- different bracelet

Anyone else who went that way? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, edgematic1 said:

Well, I know a handful of amazing laserwelders that work on watches but they won't do it on a rep case. They're all in Italy, and AMAZING at what they do. One particular reason why I stay away from Italian vintage dealers, hehe. 

do you got web site?

42 minutes ago, markiemark said:

Finding someone who can laserweld/microweld is tough. At least I couldnt find one. I wanted to "convert" a JF 16610 case to a 16800 one, and have the old springbar holes removed. But I couldnt find someone, so I ended up buying an ST case and will have it engraved...

I'm trying to get some project. :)

3 minutes ago, jasonbaylee said:

Are U spearheading this project Edge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, no, I was wondering if anyone has done this before as it would  be cool imo. The triple six is a great blend between old and new and with the good BP SD I would be surprised of nobody has done this before. 

7 minutes ago, jasonbaylee said:

I will jump in if u are contemplating Edge

I'd do it as a project for myself but wouldn't make 10 of these... I was thinking about it as it can be quite accurate and relatively low cost. 
I'll work on my 6263 project first (sample stage for the bezel and dial). And will read/search more for this project during the 6263 project. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, edgematic1 said:

I have sent you a PM with a website of someone I've used before. 

You're looking for a welding project?

no, I need lugholes and reschape 16610 case to 16800.

I already got gen 16800 Dial and insert, ready for this project.

5 hours ago, edgematic1 said:

Haha, no, I was wondering if anyone has done this before as it would  be cool imo. The triple six is a great blend between old and new and with the good BP SD I would be surprised of nobody has done this before. 

Are you sure the BP SD is really 1:1 build?

2 minutes ago, rosnik said:

no, I need lugholes and reschape 16610 case to 16800.

I already got gen 16800 Dial and insert, ready for this project.

my guy doesn't work on reps

I have heard there are good workshops in Hungary but I don't speak Hungarian. Maybe someone else could help with that? Would be great to have a welder working on reps. 

Finding someone who can laserweld/microweld is tough. At least I couldnt find one. I wanted to "convert" a JF 16610 case to a 16800 one, and have the old springbar holes removed. But I couldnt find someone, so I ended up buying an ST case and will have it engraved...
You could have kept the lug-holes and build an early 16800 ...

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, manodeoro said:

You could have kept the lug-holes and build an early 16800 ...

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

I mean I wanted to get rid of the the modern springbar "holes" on the JF case. The ST case I ordered has drilled lug holes (all the way through). Im building an 1987 16800. Got my hands on a really nice gen black faded navy insert :D

Quite a while back I made a 16660 out of a SSD-V2. Matte dial from Yuki, relumed dial and hands by PBdad, lugholes drilled by jmb, Swiss eta with a silver DW with open 6/9s (from a Paul's old DRSD). 

ukswdp.jpg

I got a 93160 from TC 4-5 years ago. 

But remember one thing- an SSD and a BP SD are NOT gen construction, so don't kid yourself about that fact. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:10 AM, edgematic1 said:

Been thinking about this. The 16660 is my favourite SD variant. 
We have an amazing rep with the BP SD.

I'm just wondering if anyone else already went this way, since the differences between the 16600 and 16660 are subtle, wouldn't it be possible to turn the BP SD into an old matte SD?

Work to do:

- change datewheel
- change dial
- change hands (not sure)
- create larger chamfers
- create thicker crown guards (who's able to laserweld on the forum?)
- different bracelet

Anyone else who went that way? 

Remember that the BP one is larger than gen and "centers" the dial/movement in the case. You'll need to create a custom small "dial ring" e.g. from a nylon gasket.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:29 PM, hologramet said:

Remember that the BP one is larger than gen and "centers" the dial/movement in the case. You'll need to create a custom small "dial ring" e.g. from a nylon gasket.

Another way is to build a custom dial spacer, same diameter than the BP dial so larger than the new dial.

That's what I did for my A/6538 build ... dial was 26mm and smaller than the inside diameter of the rehaut (26.3mm) and it worked perfectly. 

If you look closely @8:00 on the pic below you can see the tiny gap between the dial and the rehaut ... I've been really happy to achieve that.

juAkf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m using the newer a3135 version BPSD to build a 16600 franken. Gen Dial arrived today, 9494206c69f62a01b3ba6ffb5901e3f2.jpg&key=b977bd666e1864c1aec60611934912b553d97653136f22949eb54c6f332ff527 I have a new GEN insert and DW en route, also set of GEN Hands. I’m buying an SH3135 to have serviced and installed too.