When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broken diver..

tompa_k

I was so happy when the mailguy come in this morning with 2 new watches that i orderd, but now Im sad/angry.. the second watch a AP Roo black theme, the strap was broken.. and the diver is dead. so its not a good day for me. And toro is on holliday so i cant contact him :/

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Got this baby today from Toro, and when im unpacking im notis that the movement is not moving..now im winding and winding and nothing happens. Its dead :/ Do you guys have any tips? Is it totaly dead? just junk or can the movement be fixt? 2d5c2109ace831b0f73dee4c115a0587.jpg&key=b17a7e9467b1fe17a28680bd6bd93f7fdbcb3bf6d47997253a14b824e380f059

It depends ... which movement is used in that watch ?

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

All broken movements can be fixed. In this hobby you must learn to be patient. I will suggest you send it to a modder to have it converted to low beat and also serviced, to make it more accurate and reliable.

• Like 1

All broken movements can be fixed. In this hobby you must learn to be patient. I will suggest you send it to a modder to have it converted to low beat and also serviced, to make it more accurate and reliable.

Okey.. thx! but its dead from start. Its new,never used. Toro should check hes movement before shiping out the watch. And he should fix this now. But thats only my opinion :)

of course. But you need to understand that because rep movements are often badly assembled, the shipping process often causes parts to come loose, get jammed in the gears and seize up the movement completely. So yes, sending the watch back to China to get it fixed is your entitlement. But you face the risk of the incoming China custom, and then the same transit risk again when it comes back to you.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tompa_k said:

Haha you never know.. :)

Haha you never know.. there is good pepl in this world to :)

yes, but getting paid for a service does not disqualify one from being good, and doing something for free does not mean that you are good as well.

My point was that SSteel, being an established watch modder, is entitled, and in fact expected to charge in return for a job well-done. If you are getting the service for free from him, he is not obligated to you in any way, and merely doing a favor. Without payment and duty of care owed to you for a paid service, your watch may or may not be fixed according to your expectation. 

So I think I do know. Your local watchmaker will charge you a fee for the repair and so will SSteel. That is all fair and good. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Biggest problem will be finding parts for the a25j. Watchmakers who work on mostly gen watches probably rarely encounter this movement. watchmakers who work on lots of reps very well might have some old 25j movement laying around that they can get the correct gear from. Another alternative is to just drop in a new 25j or a 2824 movement. they are pretty inexpensive and the watchmaker can test it beforehand to insure that it's running OK.

I will echo what legend said about shipping back. Your broken watch has to clear China customs and the replacement has to clear  your countries customs coming back. Watches returned for repair can get lost in the shuffle and disappear. I would send back only as a extreme last resort.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...