When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016, end of the journey (?)

Lo'

I think I may have found the watch on IG that was the inspiration of your dial.

AFAIK this is gen with natural patina.

a81b951e8e67dcbcce588de5d5f6a2b7.jpg&key=45cc7ea78970cb7462b906239922599bb74336184cd9fdee0bc22e1a076650ee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right, this looks very similar but no, the pic that started it all is another one. Finding it is impossible because in fact it bears no resemblance whatsoever with the final result; first off because the watch it displays is not even a 1016, then because it was just a loose representation of what the modder had in mind; the only tie with what was eventually crafted being the mix of various shades of brown.

Inviato dal mio EML-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

As I said the attached image was the one which gave Natas and me the idea of the direction to follow. Until then I only had thought of having the dial relumed and, perhaps, lightly retotuched to stop it from looking so bland and flat. When Natas sent me this pic he had found online we agreed that this would be the way to go. As I have written elesewhere I already had seen pictures of his unbelievable Panerai builds, so I knew that he was the right man for the job, the only slightly worrisome point being that I was not sure about the outcome of translating the result of time and wear from a 45/47mm dial to a 36mm one. Would such an intense patina fit well on a smaller diameter? Would it not look 'overdone' ? I searched for pictures of weathered dials and found some excellent samples of vintage watches with fully patinated dials -some whose diameter was even smaller than that of my 1016- which looked stunning. This reassured me but did not the least prepare me for what Natas would come up with… 

Of course, I have not given up already on the original idea of a circa 1970 build with a very clean black dial and white puffy lume, but this is another story… :)

image1.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, madasboot said:

Hej Lo’

https://ibb.co/rQ8LhkN

Happy new lunar year!

the end of my 1016 journey ended last week with some self made straight end links...

yours would look great with them :)

cordiale saluti

marco

Hello  nice work on the build.

I am looking for a set of straight end links in 19mm like yours...  any help would be appreciated  

"I am looking for a set of straight end links in 19mm like yours.."

These might be made to work but you would have to spread the last link apart.  It would be easy to shorten the ends to 19mm.

This one is 19mm but no way to know how wide the center links are.  If they are too wide they can be trimmed but if too narrow...not gonna work.

eBay item number:  172019171077   
From guess who?
WSO 990!

More...

20mm oyster bracelet (tools852.com)

CARLYWET 17 18 19 20mm 316L Stainless Steel Silver Brushed Watch Band Strap Old Style Oyster Bracelet Straight End Screw Links|Watchbands| - AliExpress

Two things to watch out for:

SEL type end links, there are a lot of them out there.

Sheet metal end links that just fit over the last bracelet link and not in between them, Speidel 14/1500 for example.

I used to have a few (iirc) but can not find them.  As usual.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JSebWC said:

Hello  nice work on the build.

I am looking for a set of straight end links in 19mm like yours...  any help would be appreciated  

Hey J.

I can make a pair for you but you must give me some time.

will PM my phone so we can whatsapp.

Marco

2 hours ago, automatico said:

"I am looking for a set of straight end links in 19mm like yours.."

These might be made to work but you would have to spread the last link apart.  It would be easy to shorten the ends to 19mm.

This one is 19mm but no way to know how wide the center links are.  If they are too wide they can be trimmed but if too narrow...not gonna work.

eBay item number:  172019171077   
From guess who?
WSO 990!

More...

20mm oyster bracelet (tools852.com)

CARLYWET 17 18 19 20mm 316L Stainless Steel Silver Brushed Watch Band Strap Old Style Oyster Bracelet Straight End Screw Links|Watchbands| - AliExpress

Two things to watch out for:

SEL type end links, there are a lot of them out there.

Sheet metal end links that just fit over the last bracelet link and not in between them, Speidel 14/1500 for example.

I used to have a few (iirc) but can not find them.  As usual.

Hey R.

long time no see!

subtropical greetings and wishes of a happy new lunar year!

M.

• Like 1