When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 5513/1680 midcase question

Champagnesky

It was in the early to mid 1970s afaik but do not know exactly when.  I always wondered if they cut the grooves in the 5512/13, 1680, 1665 cases all at once or maybe cut the groove in some models first and not others.  Probably some models came out with the groove sooner and some later depending on how many cases they had left over at the end of a production run.

As for replicas...the only replicas I have with case top gasket grooves are MBK but they did not come with gaskets in them.  I put case top gaskets in mine and the gasket needed to be a little bit smaller in cross section than the case back gasket.  

10 hours ago, automatico said:

It was in the early to mid 1970s afaik but do not know exactly when.  I always wondered if they cut the grooves in the 5512/13, 1680, 1665 cases all at once or maybe cut the groove in some models first and not others.  Probably some models came out with the groove sooner and some later depending on how many cases they had left over at the end of a production run.

As for replicas...the only replicas I have with case top gasket grooves are MBK but they did not come with gaskets in them.  I put case top gaskets in mine and the gasket needed to be a little bit smaller in cross section than the case back gasket.  

thank you automatico! Ive seen one midcase for sale that was dated 1972 by the seller, but im not really sure about that. The only other midcases ive seen for sale with the grove have been dated earliest 1978.

On 2/5/2019 at 5:52 PM, Nanuq said:

My 1665 from '72 has the case groove beneath the crystal retaining ring.

Ok interesting to know, there is basically No information about that on any resources. I’ve decided to use the midcase for an early 80ies 5513 build. No need to find a date stamped caseback either. And the 5513 dials are still affordable. Well almost 😂

• 3 weeks later...