When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Polishing Bracelets

jfreeman420

I'm trying to polish the sides of a sub bracelet and I hear you need jewelers rouge. I have a dremel and am looking for the right compound to use. i see there are several different colors. Which is the best color of jewelers rouge to polish steel to a mirror finish? Also does anyone know if a cape cod cloth will remove gold plating? Any suggetions on where to order the jewelers rouge and cape cod cloths?

Jewelers rouge is a pinkish brown color. The different color compounds you see are for various purposes. White rouge is for stainless steel, following it with jewelers rouge will yield a slightly shiner surface. Blue rouge is used mostly for plastic, but is also used for plated item as it has almost no cutting ability and won't take off the plating if used properly.

Do you think that the cape cod is enough to bring the brushed sides of a TT sub bracelet to the mirror finish they are supposed to be? I am attempting a project to bring one of the new TT subs as close as posible and the sides of the bracelet are brushed (one of my biggest complaints). I want to place an order, but I wonder if I should get the rouge in addition to the cape cod.

those lines on the sides of the links r much more deeper brushed and however i never tried but i doubt a cape cod will get them completely out, i basically use a wheel that puts a satin finish on it which makes finer lines and takes out the deeper lines and then i use a buffing wheel severl abrasive compounds then white then red rouge , sometimes i still have to do it again and again till it is right

if u dont have these wheels i suggest u use 600 grit sandpaper first then use a 1000 grit and maybe a 1600 after that then use the cloth wheel and install on a bench grinder and use the white and then red and should give u the same results just u have to use a bit more elbow than the other way i do it , i dont like a dremel for polishing cause it seems they always haze up the metal or leave streaks and that can be just as time consuming to get rid of imho

hope this helps

joe